• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How often should I potentiate my pills?

CfZrx

Bluelighter
The other day I potentiated my 15mg daily methadone habit with cimetidine. I admit I also took a 60mg mscontin, but I was feeling no pain for an entire day, which never happens for me. Seems like cimetidine really works! But how often should I do it? My fears are 1)inhibiting metabolism of my food, and 2) raising my tolerance so that I get sick unless I potentiate. Anybody else ever gone through this and had these thoughts? I'm thinking try to keep it to 2 times weekly. Thanks :)

CfZrx, you don't need to potentiate your 15 mg daily methadone. Just explain to your doctor about the dosage and see how that goes.

The thing about methadone is that it's not meant to make you feel high but to fulfill your need so that you don't go back to your previous drug of choice.

People experience some comfortable/good feelings with methadone in greater dosages. But that's counterproductive as you are using it to avoid being high or using whatever you used before. It's a tool so you can have a 'normal' life. It takes few days to adapt, maybe a week. How long are you doing this?

Maybe 15 mg is rather low to start with. Discuss this with your doctor. Methadone is pretty strong and nothing really makes it so much more potent. It's already strong as it is and long lasting too.

In so many years after stabilizing I remember that once he had to increase it by 10 mg by evaluating its cost benefit issues and it solved all my problems for few weeks but some time later I just adapted to the new dose, making it more distant from getting down to lower doses.
It just makes things look normal. Don't expect for more in a long term treatment. You'll be okay and that should be enough. At some point you won't even crave for your D.O.C.

I've been on methadone for many years and it was extremely difficult to go down. I started with bigger dosages bc I was coming off a very strong opiate at a very high dose. I stabilized at 70 mg daily. But as I mentioned -- going down to your dose was a very difficult thing, not to mention coming off of it completely.

You got this. Send me a PM in case you need to. I've been through this before. Heads up!! ;)

Last edited:
CfZrx, you don't need to potentiate your 15 mg daily methadone. Just explain to your doctor about the dosage and see how that goes.

The thing about methadone is that it's not meant to make you feel high but to fulfill your need so that you don't go back to your previous drug of choice.

People experience some comfortable/good feelings with methadone in greater dosages. But that's counterproductive as you are using it to avoid being high or using whatever you used before. It's a tool so you can have a 'normal' life. It takes few days to adapt, maybe a week. How long are you doing this?

Maybe 15 mg is rather low to start with. Discuss this with your doctor. Methadone is pretty strong and nothing really makes it so much more potent. It's already strong as it is and long lasting too.

In so many years after stabilizing I remember that once he had to increase it by 10 mg by evaluating its cost benefit issues and it solved all my problems for few weeks but some time later I just adapted to the new dose, making it more distant from getting down to lower doses.
It just makes things look normal. Don't expect for more in a long term treatment. You'll be okay and that should be enough. At some point you won't even crave for your D.O.C.

I've been on methadone for many years and it was extremely difficult to go down. I started with bigger dosages bc I was coming off a very strong opiate at a very high dose. I stabilized at 70 mg daily. But as I mentioned -- going down to your dose was a very difficult thing, not to mention coming off of it completely.

You got this. Send me a PM in case you need to. I've been through this before. Heads up!! ;)
Pure intelligence.

Cimetedine o.o wth lol.. Get some benzos or something similar and that would be very nice with mscontin. I highly recommend you not to go up on your methadone dose and get off it or taper down asap, take it from me and you'll look back being grateful.

no more than twice a week. Realistically I quit using cimetidine because it causes gyno in men. I am a weight lifter and I have actually noticed a slight puffiness in my nipples, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were really looking but now I am self conscious about it... but had I not stopped you can develop bitch tits, like really bad, and if you are overweight and already have kinda man boobs you wont even notice how bad it is until it is too late and then if you ever lose weight you are going to have a nice set of puffy nipples that looks like very small female breasts. So be careful.

Only thing I'll say is that it doesn't fuck with your metabolism yo, it only inhibits a specific enzyme commonly associated with a wide array of drugs, that doesn't mean it will like, inhibit your ingestion of vitamin C or some shit haha

Oh shit I just lost a long well written post. Any ways, lol, the bitch tit warning has scared me off ;) The 'done is scripted for chronic pain. The 60mg mscontin is probably why I felt no pain, guess I'll just keep a few of those on hand. Will only potentiate for extreme long days at work which are rare. Bitch tits sound like hell Mad Dash, thanks for the warning! The biggest positive of this whole week was that I took the last MS60 I had at the house orally! I thought about shootin it. Then I thought about pluggin it. The I took it oral w/ cimetidine, and it was a better high than plugged, less intense, but 12 hour high. Again. Nothing is worth growing boobs. I will use very sparingly if ever again,haha

Only thing I'll say is that it doesn't fuck with your metabolism yo, it only inhibits a specific enzyme commonly associated with a wide array of drugs, that doesn't mean it will like, inhibit your ingestion of vitamin C or some shit haha
Hehe, this website reminds me of good angel on one shoulder, bad angel on the other! Ok, I'm back in. Cime...never mind, them tits sound shitty :) So I'll still absorb my calcium? Thanks!

Maybe it does not potentiate methadone but it works as an additional painkiller, and by compromising yourself in doing this sometimes you may be jeopardizing your methadone treatment.

The dosage of your methadone intake does not block some other painkillers so what you feel in my opinion is one acting with the other one. The problem with that is your tolerance being increased and the compromise of using it eventually becoming a daily issue with time.:\

Methadone is already viewed by many a last resource in terms of quitting opiates and if that is associated with other painkillers you are just trading addictions and keeping yourself in the game. And on top of it getting used to methadone which is extremely difficult to come off.

Maybe it does not potentiate methadone but it works as an additional painkiller, and by compromising yourself in doing this sometimes you may be jeopardizing your methadone treatment.

The dosage of your methadone intake does not block some other painkillers so what you feel in my opinion is one acting with the other one. The problem with that is your tolerance being increased and the compromise of using it eventually becoming a daily issue with time.:\

Methadone is already viewed by many a last resource in terms of quitting opiates and if that is associated with other painkillers you are just trading addictions and keeping yourself in the game. And on top of it getting used to methadone which is extremely difficult to come off.
Are you saying I could be jeopardizing my methadone treatment by coming up dirty on my monthly pee test? I hate to think it could ever become a daily issue again, but BL is filled with stories such as mine that slowly brought the user back to the needle. I always come to BL hoping for enabling of my addictive ideas, and walk away having been warned of the dangers ahead. I will take heed. My plan for this week is to remain appreciative of my new meth script and not buy any MS60s or do any potentiating. I admit I felt a bit sick from taking that 1 60mg pill oral. Not much, but a little queasy stomach and it was hard to relax fully for a day.

Are you saying I could be jeopardizing my methadone treatment by coming up dirty on my monthly pee test? I hate to think it could ever become a daily issue again, but BL is filled with stories such as mine that slowly brought the user back to the needle. I always come to BL hoping for enabling of my addictive ideas, and walk away having been warned of the dangers ahead. I will take heed. My plan for this week is to remain appreciative of my new meth script and not buy any MS60s or do any potentiating. I admit I felt a bit sick from taking that 1 60mg pill oral. Not much, but a little queasy stomach and it was hard to relax fully for a day.

Hey man, I am really glad to hear this, it is easy to yell at somebody for making a bad decision, but you rarely see people cheering for making the right decision. I have to say this is a wonderful epiphany you ran across. Every so often it is great to have somebody talk you down from doing more harm to yourself. That is exactly what you did, and that is not easy AT ALL you basically looked addiction in the face and told it to go fuck itself. Right on brother. Keep it up and if you ever feel like you are getting suckered back into it. Come post about it here. I try to make myself available everyday. I am not some guru but I have lived a little so every once in a great while a bit of wisdom leaks out of me lol. Keep it up brother!

I felt my addiction like a presence in the room here when you put it that way! Yer right, he's just patiently waiting. Fuck you addiction! I see your sneaky ways. I wont let you taint my magic anymore :) With a little help from my friends.

I agree dont need to poteniate man just need to take it easy with it....

Ok Wonka, I will slow the roll on trying to get more analgesia than I am lawfully prescribed. I guess my frustration is that I know that a certain amount of opiate kills my neck pain 100% and that is not the amount I am prescribed. Maybe the doc just doesn't want to prescribe any higher until I make some more effort in physical therapy. That's my plan, to hit the phys therapist for awhile, then beg my PM to up my dose a few mg :)

Ok Wonka, I will slow the roll on trying to get more analgesia than I am lawfully prescribed. I guess my frustration is that I know that a certain amount of opiate kills my neck pain 100% and that is not the amount I am prescribed. Maybe the doc just doesn't want to prescribe any higher until I make some more effort in physical therapy. That's my plan, to hit the phys therapist for awhile, then beg my PM to up my dose a few mg :)

That is another great thing to do, PT. I workout 6 days a week for an hour a day. And I still do PT twice a week at the VA. Because I have realized if you do both those things you can actually reduce your pain a great deal. I do a lot of work on my upper body, my back, my core, and my legs. This helps me to put pressure on my spine to keep it from bulging the way that it does.

I felt my addiction like a presence in the room here when you put it that way! Yer right, he's just patiently waiting. Fuck you addiction! I see your sneaky ways. I wont let you taint my magic anymore :) With a little help from my friends.

And it totally is, I absolutely try to imagine my addiction as tangible. A beast that knows no boundaries and will try at every convenience to hit you while you are down. I am reminded of the movie a beautiful mind. He realizes that the people he sees are not real, so he just has to ignore them. As hard as it is, and as many beautiful moments they shared together, he had to stop all contact with them for his own health and his own sanity.

^that was a great film! I too workout a lot, but I wake up and do breathing/yoga untill I'm totally stretched, then 6 days a week or so I go out and run around the hood, or the forest and try to keep my heart beat up for 20-30 minutes, including some planks and pushups in the mix :) I used to lift until it seemed I always would get manic with it and injure myself,lol. So now I do very easygoing sessions. I am trying to focus more on the actual PT exercises that I do know, it does help immensely. Maybe my doc keeps me in a little pain so I keep doing the workouts? Peace :)

Cimetedine o.o wth lol.. Get some benzos or something similar and that would be very nice with mscontin. I highly recommend you not to go up on your methadone dose and get off it or taper down asap, take it from me and you'll look back being grateful.

Bad idea for several reasons. Here, anyway, coming up positive for benzos while on methadone is an insta-kick from any doctor/clinic. even if OP is procuring them on the street, benzos+methadone has ODd LOTS of people. that said, i agree with getting off of methadone asap; even a 20mg/day dose took me 4 months to detox from w/no withdraw symptoms.

^I just wanted to say exactly this. Getting some benzos is a horrible advice.

OP: I know this feeling of not being satisfied with your daily dose (mine is Buprenorphine) and Mad Dash's advice regarding physical exercise is a very good one.
I am always very content after a work out and dont feel the need for other Opis/Drugs anymore. Cardio helps in the same way.

Good luck on your way!

CfZrx sounds like you have a solid plan just stick with it and doctors can always be hassle you know your body more then they do...stay strong and good luck

I'm cheering for your success. I know you got this! :)

Last edited: