• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how much xanax can I safely take?

bigfloppy

Greenlighter
I am a pain patient with phn and I am getting better. Been reducing my dosage and I am down to 20mg oxyneo x2 day with about 6mg of dilaudid a day. I developed a paranoia that leads to 911 calls to the ER. I think I can't breath when on the opioids so I was prescribed 1mg ativan every 6 hr. I ran out and got xanax 2mg from a shady doctor and he said take 2 a day. That seems like a lot since I just started using the ativan less than a week ago.

What is a safe amount of xanax to take with my opioids? how often?

Hey bigfloppy, everyone is different and we react in different ways. However, It depends a lot on your tolerance.
I don't think 2 xanax per day is too much but if you don't feel comfortable with the dose use it until you feel you are fine.

There is no safe amount of xanax to take with opioids, unless specifically told by your doctor. if don't know your tolerance. It's a dangerous question to be answered accurately. What could be accepted by one could may not be by someone else. Other than that I'd just tell you to be careful with both meds as they have a big potential of being very addictive. But if you are in pain and can't handle it, that's different - don't take more than what it was prescribed though.

Same I'd say about benzos because they make you feel so comfortable when you are anxious, and since benzos are meant to be taken temporarily it can be tricky to handle anxiety later when your prescription is no longer available. Try not to get too comfortable with them like you are doing. Ask questions to your doctor, get a second opinion if you not comfortable with that 'shady doctor'.

It's hard to come off of benzos too. Some say that it's even harder than opiates, emotionally speaking.
Good luck and welcome to Blue Light!
Erik

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb is you can always take more but you can never take less. Start with maybe a quarter of a bar with your regular opiate dosage and see how you feel! There isn't a universal answer to your question unfortunately as some people might fall asleep off 2mg xanas while others won't really even feel it.

I took .5 and it calmed me down. I don't think I will go any higher. This works. I think my pain has decreased significantly and fast. I hope to be off the hard opiates within a month. I will no longer need the benzos as well. I really don't enjoy having my head in a fog 24/7 the past 4 months. Thanks for all the advice

2mg Xanax two times a day is just way way to much, this will just knock you out. This doctor is a fucking idiot and what he's doing is dangerous. Taking opioids and benzos can result in increased respiratory depression..
Don't take the Xanax too often, benzo addiction and withdrawal can be hell on earth.
0.25 or even 0.125mg should do the trick.
Maybe try something like low dose hydroxyzine, imo that's way better than benzos.

I took .5 and it calmed me down. I don't think I will go any higher. This works. I think my pain has decreased significantly and fast. I hope to be off the hard opiates within a month. I will no longer need the benzos as well. I really don't enjoy having my head in a fog 24/7 the past 4 months. Thanks for all the advice

That's good. Try to keep your dosage as minimal as possible. Developing a dependency/need for benzos will ultimately create your anxiety much much worse in the long run. It happend to me. I would not take it every day because your brain will start producing less GABA if you do. Take it 3x a week at the very max and you shouldn't develop a tolerance.

You must ask yourself 4 questions (Xanax alone),

1) When you drink camomile tea do you feel something?
2) Is it easy for you to get asleep?
3) Are you able to eat without doing anything else?
4) Are you really sensible to alcohol?

If you answer yes to those questions I suggest you stay under 3mg or you will pass out.
If you answer no to those questions I suggest you can go up to 5-6mg max and work your way up if you dont feel anything. (I had no tolerance and took the equivalent of 6.5mg of xanax as flurazepam mixed with oxazepam and I barely felt it)

Benzo act like alcohol and camomile so it is a good guess to consider how you react to them when you chose to take Xanax.

This exact effect is simple, it makes your Cl-channel open 3 times more frequently when a GABA links to its receptor, but the whole effect is all depending on how much GABA you have. Thats why you make your dose in consideration of how much GABA is in your system to be used.

Also Xanax with opioids are kinda useless and dangerous, it only makes the buzz more sedating. I suggest you use them to sleep or when you use a lower amount of opioids.

The frequency of the use is dependant on the half life, Xanax has a moderate half life so you can dose every 6 to 10 hours before feeling the effect to wear off.
I also dont suggest taking both opiates and Xanax at one time because the rush can be bigger than you think...

Take care and be cautious.

Certainly not what the above comment or your shady doctor says. Wait until you experience panic or anxiety attacks and take the least amount possible and you can titrate. I'm talking like .25-.5mg. So many fucking people die everyday from mixing strong opioids and benzodiazepines so it's not "safe". And beware, Xanax makes you into a giant idiot with your dosing and everything in general.

If you answer no to those questions I suggest you can go up to 5-6mg max and work your way up if you dont feel anything.
This could kill the OP.
Even 3mg is to much..

OK yesterday I got lowered to 15 oxyneo from 20 thats 30mg a day max for oxy. I FEEL LIKE CRAP. I am taking my rescue dilaudid 1 to 2 mg to help the pain. max 5mg a day

I have been taking the xanax at .5 twice a day and .75 once a day. I have had a bad addiction to benzos over 10 years ago but I have not and will not drink. The xanax is at 1.75mg a day now. I do not want to chance another panic attack. first one was a 911 call on the side of the road with my 3 year old girl in the back. 2 days later I 911ed and they took my to er and after hours of tests said I had good health and its just panic. I was told by ER doc that 1mg ativan every 6 hours was fine. I just dont have any more ativan and am stuck with xanax for a few days.

So 30mg oxyneo and 5mg dilaudid and stay under 2 mg xanax feels ok to me. anyone object? I will get off oxy first then handle the benzos. The funny thing is I am not an anxious person

Imo you are risking benzo addiction again, anything over 1.5mg Xanax a day is a big dosage imo.
0.125-0.25mg should be enough.
Have you tried stuff like hydroxyzine?