• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How much tramadol is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeez

Greenlighter
I'm in a lot of pain right now both physically and mentally. My doctors don't seem to care much and the only thing they will give me is tramadol and klonopin. I tell them it doesn't work well enough, and I get a blank stare.

And that's when I start eating tramadol like skittles with a bottle of whiskey. I'm prescribed 8x 50mg daily, but it's not uncommon for me to have 20 or 30 in a night. It's the only way I can get any relief.

Yeah, I know that's "not recommended" but how bad is it? How many is too many? I've tried googling and basically all I can find is don't take more than 400mg per day. I'm way past that...still no side effects other than falling asleep. How many until I have to start worrying about breathing problems?

Taking over 400mg carries a serious risk of having seizures and developing serotonin syndrome. Combining them with alcohol can cause serious respiratory depression. Both of these problems can pretty easily cause death if/when you reach that point.

You need to have a serious conversation with your doctor, because this is NOT sustainable and very problematic!

I've always heard 250mg is the limit but, be careful with the whiskey one time I needed up in the hospital off of whiskey and tramadol, all I know is I had about a fith of fireball and I'm not sure how much tram but at least 300mg but my friend called the ambulance because I was seizing a little latter. I woke up in the hospital

Taking over 400mg carries a serious risk of having seizures and developing serotonin syndrome. Combining them with alcohol can cause serious respiratory depression. Both of these problems can pretty easily cause death if/when you reach that point.

Yeah, that's what I've read in google, but, since I'm prescribed 400mg per day I find it hard to believe going slightly above this dose is dangerous. If my normal dose was right on the edge of an overdose, they wouldn't give it to me, or at least would warn me quite heavily.

I agree I shouldn't be mixing it with alcohol...lets just say sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Mostly it's just the tramadol.

I've proven that at least 1,500mg doesn't cause any noticeable problems for me, though I understand it's not healthy. I also have a very high tolerance for the medication. I happen to be a big guy also.

As for talking with my doctor, they don't care. Simple as that. I've had that talk, they tell me to take ibuprofen. I might as well put skittles up my butt. If I suggest I have any kind of problem taking the medication as prescribed, they will just take it away entirely.

Last edited:

You need to have a serious conversation with your doctor, because this is NOT sustainable and very problematic!

^^ OP, this combination of drugs is very dangerous and IMO deadly, if you slip up on any of the drugs involved. This thread is closed.

If any OD moderator can better explain this, feel free to reopen.

Last edited:
How many until I have to start worrying about breathing problems?

Tramadol doesn't really cause respiratory depression on it's own, but in combination with alcohol it can easily kill you
And as others have said, it lowers your seizure threshold. The seizure threshold is unique for everyone so we can't tell you at what dosage you may seize, but people started seizing after only 250mg

Status
Not open for further replies.