Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

how much stuff gets past customs

astroboy007

Bluelighter
is there anyone who has an idea on how much gets past customs,either by sea or at the airport?just curious

I tried to look it up, but the customs report on that one was surprisingly vague.

Think about it :)
It is IMPOSSIBLE for them to document how much gets through... because they don't find it!!!!! =D

They can tell you how much they stop, but how much gets trhough could range from zilch (which we know isn't true) to 100,000 times more than they actually intercept. we'll never know, and either will they......

ooohhh x-files

no, it would be easy to make an estimation on how much gets through. If you take the numbers that they get x-rayed and dog searched, get the numbers that were found and put them up against the entire amount shipped through..... but...we need all the numbers first...i cant be fucked doing all that.. anyone? lol

Haha i can't be fucked either mate. But look at it this way. How commonplace are drugs. I know that i could get hold of most substances very easily. There is always drugs around, so a hell of a lot must make it through customs. They will never be able to stop drug shipping/transport.

Peace

roughly 1 in 1000 cargo containers gets x-rayed. unless of course they have some reason to x-ray one. like if they see a small personal shipment coming from say s-e asia

^^^^^^

Dont go making things up when you dont know.

Here in Brisbane I know for a fact 1 in every 4 containers gets x-rayed by customs. Thats 25% not 1 in 1000.

lost_boi said:
^^^^^^

Dont go making things up when you dont know.

Here in Brisbane I know for a fact 1 in every 4 containers gets x-rayed by customs. Thats 25% not 1 in 1000.

that is the estimate that the government puts out in the media. if its wrong then i would wonder why a figure like that comes out.

onetp said:
that is the estimate that the government puts out in the media. if its wrong then i would wonder why a figure like that comes out.

Could you please state where the government has ever said this? (Not an attack) would like to see where the government has quoted figures for something like this.. thanks

Originally posted by onetp
roughly 1 in 1000 cargo containers gets x-rayed. unless of course they have some reason to x-ray one. like if they see a small personal shipment coming from say s-e asia

Source?

Originally posted by lost_boi

Source?

Container examination and x-ray facilities

Customs is implementing new container examination facilities in the ports of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle as part of a $190 million strategy to boost sea cargo inspection rates through the use of container x-ray technology.

All sea cargo arriving in Australia is risk assessed by Customs and around 80 000 containers will be inspected each year once the new facilities are fully operational.

This represents approximately five percent of the total loaded import containers across these ports*, resulting in considerably enhanced border protection and savings in Customs processing times for selected containers.

The facilities will include other state-of-the-art x-ray units such as pallet x-rays that allow Customs to reduce inspection times and enhance detection capabilities once anomalies are found by the container x-ray. Pallet x-rays provide a dual x-ray view (from the top and the side) of individual pallets within the sea cargo containers.

Customs uses mobile x-ray vans and smaller x-ray machines to scan items such as parcels that arrive in Australia each day at international mail centres and air freight depots.

X-ray units are also used at airports to scan the baggage of passengers arriving in Australia. Most baggage from incoming flights is x-rayed to detect goods that may be prohibited or restricted.

*emphasis added myself.
Page Last Modified: 06:01 PM 16 Aug 2004
source

5% across Australia, based on risk assessment.

Weight of Drug Seizures by Australian Customs 1985-2003
Source
What this table shows is: The weight of drugs seized does not follow a consistent pattern.

An inconsistent pattern could be attributed to many things such as change in demand, change in supply, but also change in seizure efficiency for that drug, in that particular year.

Cowboy Mac said:

Source?

[ [/B]

I am down at the ports fairly regularly and I work in conjunction with customs for a living.
Thats my source, you won't be able to find it from another site or a book.

end quote.

I am down at the ports fairly regularly and I work in conjunction with customs for a living.
Thats my source, you won't be able to find it from another site or a book.

end quote.

You must understand that without me having known that you are involved with customs your point was equally as valid/invalid as onetp's comments.

I still believe, that even with a well thought mathematical equation, it isn't possible to get an HIGHLY accurate result relating to the amount that gets in. While you could work out how much gets busted however often and then transfer that to the amount of how many crates aren't x-rayed, I still think there are too many variables.

ie. a month goes by and a 100kg meth shipment goes down....
All while within that month 1,000,000 kg of meth/H/coke etc. makes its way in.

The next month may be really quiet. no imports etc. Too many variables for my liking.

You get the idea...

The amount that get's into the country is what we consume, so if someone can work that out go for it.

so u reckon all drugs in aus r imported??? i duno bout that. id say a lot of drugs r still made here.

I don't really know but I'd say sooooooo much more gets through compared to to what gets siezed. I think it would be really dominant figures if anyone could work them out.