• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol How much shouldn't I do drugs?

Akoto

Bluelighter
I got diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2012 and I haven't even had a beer since.
I'm feeling better now and I just want to know if you guys think it's alright for me to have a beer and a joint once in a while, or if I'd really fuck myself over. Do any of these drugs interfere with alcohol?

Drugs I'm on:
Clozapine 600mg
Olanzapine 10mg
Clonazepam 1mg
Prozac 20mg
And a little bit of seraquil.

A beer is probably fine. With schizophrenia I'd definitely avoid weed entirely, though, and anything else even remotely psychedelic. Avoid stimulants too, for that matter.

I'd reccomend you just don't. I mean, if you've made it 3 years without anything except your prescribed medication....why? Its not like a beer or a joint is going to give you some sort of overwhelming euphoria or stress relief anyways. not good to mix benzos and alcohol however. Thats just my suggestion, I'll admit though, I really don't know anything about schizophrenia or most of the drugs you mentioned but like i said, If you've made it 3+ years......why?

^ totally agree with tom. Your medication cocktail is just too big:
3 Antipsychotics, 1 Antidepressant and a Benzo...just don't drink any alcohol on top of that. It will probably just sedate the fuck out of you.
Regarding weed: What emjay said!

Just don't.

You definitely need to avoid weed or any psychedelics. Those drugs will exacerbate your condition.

A beer or two is fine, but not binge drinking.

Most if not all of those drugs have interactions with alcohol that I think you would best avoid completely. Alcohol can make schizophrenia worse.

i'd ask your doctor. maybe try djsim's thread (user on here who is a doc). getting drunk is certainly a bad idea, and the antipsychotics and clonazepam definitely interact with booze, but if you're stable on you meds and you really want a beer then ask your doctor. we dont know the severity of your schizophrenia, risks or your past relationship with alcohol and other factors than need taking into account.

I found when I was on a fair amount of antipsychotics weed just wasn't that great. I don't think weed is that great of a drug by and large anyways.

TBH tho all of those drugs (the psy meds) are poison. And not using those drugs was probably one of the best health choices I've ever made. I'll smoke weed now and again in low doses of low grade herb and be fine. I find now I can drink a fuckton of beer now and rarely if ever do (even could drink tons while taking Seroquel for some reason).

Stimulants are great on psy-meds. Coffee and cigs all around!

I mean I bet you have a boat load of klonopin. Why not just pop a few of those?

That shit happened to me when I was like 15 I was diagnosed with psychosis and it was defiantly brought on by mostly pot and psychedelic's. I quit doing those in in about a year or so the problems seemed to fade away. Haven't smoked weed since. And I'm 26 now.

Talk to your doctor about your medications if you think you're taking too many, or don't like side effects.

Alcohol does interact with them, and if you drink alcohol or smoke weed your schizophrenia will get worse.

Be careful on Zyprexa (olanzapine). It can and does cause massive weight gain and can make you type 2 diabetes - it did both on me. I guess if you're truly schizophrenic there arent a lot of choices, the older antipsychotics like Thorazine have side effects like tardive dyskenesia which can be permanent even after quitting the drug.

Almost all drugs interact with alcohol, and no doubt there are interactions within the drugs you are prescribed - NO studies out there view the effects of, say, Zyprexa and Seroquel together. and Clozapine is heavy duty shit too - imho you should not be on basically 3 antipsychotics, and antidepressant, and a benzo.

Yeah seriously it's really strange that you're on 3 antipsychotics + the others.... really strange.

Be careful on Zyprexa (olanzapine). It can and does cause massive weight gain and can make you type 2 diabetes - it did both on me. I guess if you're truly schizophrenic there arent a lot of choices, the older antipsychotics like Thorazine have side effects like tardive dyskenesia which can be permanent even after quitting the drug.

Almost all drugs interact with alcohol, and no doubt there are interactions within the drugs you are prescribed - NO studies out there view the effects of, say, Zyprexa and Seroquel together. and Clozapine is heavy duty shit too - imho you should not be on basically 3 antipsychotics, and antidepressant, and a benzo.

I've gained 50lbs already. Biking like crazy to fend off the diabetus.

Yeah seriously it's really strange that you're on 3 antipsychotics + the others.... really strange.

[/quote
That's what happens when you tell the doctor you're god