• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How much of a cross-tolerance is there between Gabapentinoids and Benzo's?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Specifically, Gabapentin.
How minor or significant is the crossover tolerance?
I will not be taking them together, btw.

So I take a moderate dose of Gabapentin, but not all of the time. I'm prescribed it but usually finish my 28 day prescription in more like 16-20 days and then obviously have an approximate 10 day break from it. Because of this I am not physically dependant on Gabapentin and this also stops my tolerance increasing.

Like say in the past (before Gabapentin) if I'd use, for example 0.5mg Alprazolam or 10mg Diazepam as a starting dose after a break from benzo's for a while, how much would I need to take this time to have that same effect?

I am well aware this isn't an exact science, but any guidelines, rough idea's, information or experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

I’m sorry I can’t help answer your question since I’ve never tried Gabapentin, but I’m very familiar with benzos and get a monthly script. I’m just curious to know if Gaba feels similar in effects to benzos? My interest has definitely been piqued with them since i keep hearing they are a huge help while going through opiate withdrawals. At some point I want to get off methadone and any comfort meds that actually work would be something i’d like to try and get.

I can throw my opinion out because do use both of these drugs on occasion. To me they are very different drugs the benzos and gabapentinoids. I have never noticed doing one on a day takes away from the other on another day. So my guess is not cross tolerant in any real way. But again just going on my limited trials of sparse use of each of these.

Rather little cross tolerance, they work very different. There may be some cross tolerance in terms of anticonvulsant effect, for instance someone on a large dose of gabapentin for a seizure disorder might need a higher dose of benzos if they were to be used for the same indication.

I’m sorry I can’t help answer your question since I’ve never tried Gabapentin, but I’m very familiar with benzos and get a monthly script. I’m just curious to know if Gaba feels similar in effects to benzos? My interest has definitely been piqued with them since i keep hearing they are a huge help while going through opiate withdrawals. At some point I want to get off methadone and any comfort meds that actually work would be something i’d like to try and get.

Gabapentin doesn't feel like benzos.

For methadone withdrawal pregabalin is better. Good luck getting off, it is possible. I was able to get off 380mg/day of methadone (i tapered down of course). I often mention it to give hope to people who are on methadone since 380mg/day is often viewed as a life sentence when it comes to methadone.

I actually didn't use comfort meds but had tapered down to 5mg before quiting. I was actually shocked how bad it was when i cold turkeyed at 5mg. Of course it was probably so bad because i wasn't really quitting a 5mg/day habit, I was coming down off a 380mg/day habit.

For methadone withdrawal pregabalin is better. Good luck getting off, it is possible. I was able to get off 380mg/day of methadone (i tapered down of course). I often mention it to give hope to people who are on methadone since 380mg/day is often viewed as a life sentence when it comes to methadone.

I actually didn't use comfort meds but had tapered down to 5mg before quiting. I was actually shocked how bad it was when i cold turkeyed at 5mg. Of course it was probably so bad because i wasn't really quitting a 5mg/day habit, I was coming down off a 380mg/day habit.
Pregabalin and gabapentin are very similar, correct? Pregabalin is just stronger? I’m not planning to taper just yet, but it’s been on my mind lately. I don’t want to be on methadone forever. Was the 380 mg extremely sedating or did you get an actual high from it? That is quite a dose. Impressive you were able to get off that, seriously. I know the jump sucks even at a very low dose, that’s why I want to be prepared with anything that will take the edge off. Methadone withdrawal is by far the worst opiate withdrawals I’ve experienced.

It was pretty sedating, especially if taken all at once. Enough to nod out from. That dose is equivalent to something like 4-5 grams of morphine, which is massive. I usually split the dose 240mg in the morning and another 140mg in the afternoon. Oddly I'd still wake up in mild withdrawal every morning.

Pregabalin feels different than gabapentin, not just stronger but better. It actually feels enjoyable and is euphoric whereas gabapentin has zero euphoria. A large dose of pregabalin is more euphoric than any benzo. Has a weird empathogenic feel to it at high doses (like 900mg).

How long were you on 5mg? When j eventually get down to 5 I may go on subutex for a while. Low dose 2mg or less...

I'd say Gabapentinoids are at least as helpful with opioid withdrawal as benzo's, possibly more so. So I'd definitely give them a go if that is your main curiosity.
It's hard to say with similarities are it's different for different people. They don't FEEL the same. I'd say the the sedation is less from Gabapentinoids. I've never blackout out or fallen asleep against my will from them like I have with benzo's. In do find them a great help with both anxiety and opioid withdrawal and they have less of a risk of addiction.

Last edited:
They don't have the same mechanism of action so it's unlikely for cross tolerance to occur.

Rather little cross tolerance, they work very different. There may be some cross tolerance in terms of anticonvulsant effect, for instance someone on a large dose of gabapentin for a seizure disorder might need a higher dose of benzos if they were to be used for the same indication.
Hmmm to an extent with the anticonvulsant theory, I doubt it really would make a difference though. It’s not something I’ve thought about or looked into though so, yeah... maybe.

There’s little to no cross tolerance between gabapentinoids and benzos that I can see but there are many reports to the contrary.

Hmmm to an extent with the anticonvulsant theory, I doubt it really would make a difference though. It’s not something I’ve thought about or looked into though so, yeah... maybe.

There’s little to no cross tolerance between gabapentinoids and benzos that I can see but there are many reports to the contrary.

Yeah thats why added qualifier "there may be some cross tolerance in terms of anticonvulsant effect", just a theory. Perhaps someone who suffers from a severe partial seizure disorder which is controlled by high dose gabapentin would need higher than typical doses of benzodiazepines? This may be more a function of the general severity of this theoretical persons seizure disorder rather than true cross tolerance. It is cross tolerance in the sense of tolerance to an effect, independent of their different mechanisms of action (ie., someone who needs very high doses of one type of anticonvulsant likely requires high doses of others).

Similarly there may be some cross tolerance to other drug effects, like sedation and anxiolysis. Other evidence of this effect can be seen in the fact that gabapentin alleviates a good degree symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal (and vice versa, in fact benzos almost entirely relieve gabapentin withdrawal). Their mechanisms of actions are different but effects are somewhat overlapping.

Yeah thats why added qualifier "there may be some cross tolerance in terms of anticonvulsant effect", just a theory. Perhaps someone who suffers from a severe partial seizure disorder which is controlled by high dose gabapentin would need higher than typical doses of benzodiazepines? This may be more a function of the general severity of this theoretical persons seizure disorder rather than true cross tolerance. It is cross tolerance in the sense of tolerance to an effect, independent of their different mechanisms of action (ie., someone who needs very high doses of one type of anticonvulsant likely requires high doses of others).

Similarly there may be some cross tolerance to other drug effects, like sedation and anxiolysis.
I’ve seen reports stating that after heavy use of gabapentin users needed more of their preferred benzo (alprazolam I think it was). I honestly haven’t seen it in the studies though. Rodent studies obviously aren’t perfect but, I’ve seen little cross tolerance. 🤷🏼‍♀️