• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How much Loperamide...

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
...should I take my first time trying to use it to go 24 hours without any other opioids. Looking to be 100% withdrawal-symptom free. Being a little buzzed would be nice but top priority is not withdrawing (at all).
I take the equivalent of 130mg of morphine per day.

are you trying to quit or get high? i often use them during wd when getting sober, and they’re great. i don’t feel any buzz or even get close to symptom free. but taking 4mg once the wd has really set in is a world of difference versus none at all. usually take 4mgs, then 2mgs the next day, then 1mg, then none at all. trying to get free, so don’t want much of anything in my system for long.

they’re not that great for the rls and depression, which are the worst part of opiate wd. if my rls is unbearable, low dose pharm opiates is where i turn. never had a doc’s help, so unsure about the pills designed to address rls.

edit: oops, double my doses. i thought one pill was 1mg. looks like they’re 2mg.

Last edited:
I don't know how much but considering loperamide's safety profile in high doses then you might be better off settling for feeling something like 80% instead of 100% since it's only one 24 hour period. Besides, There is often an adjustment period when switching opioids anyways - even with equivalent doses - so for you to take enough lope to feel 100% will probably require a pretty heavy over-the-mark dose (if that makes sense).

Really large doses of loperamide not only pose greater health risks but they also have a nasty tendency to increase your opioid tolerance as well. A one off day of use probably isn't going to be problematic - for either your health or your tolerance - but it's something to keep in mind especially if you end up doing this more often.

Sorry I don't have a dosage recommendation for you but when you do take it please keep in mind that it takes numerous hours to kick in fully. Don't get impatient after 2 hours and take more - try waiting the full 3-4 hours before assessing.

And that might be your best approach: take a moderate dose, wait 3-4 hours, reassess and redose if needed, wait 3-4 hours, reassess, etc

Good luck.

^Agreed.

At 130mg of MS per day, trying to escape WD 100 % is highly unlikely. If you really need it at your worst point, I would say you could go as high as 20mg, which is 4mg above the highest recommended dose. Don't redose within 18 hours, if at all.

Cardiac issues like long QT syndrome and Torsades de Pointes can develop due to the Loperamide interfering with your body's hERG system or pacemaking abilities that control your heart at supra therapeutic doses.

Other problems like Nystagmus can develop along with dizziness that is unpleasant to put it mildly. Stay safe and don't rely on Lope as a fix all for WD. It's going to be rough but it will pass.

Tapering in a shallow fashion before quitting is the best method to reduce WD symptoms, not tons of Lope right from 130mg of MS. Stay Safe and best of luck CE.

It won't be a regular thing. Maybe once a month or something.
I have 18 x 2mg capsules. How about if I take 6 (12mg) first thing in the morning and then give that at least 4 hours and see how I feel?

Sure, titrate up over a long period if you like. Just keep it under 20mg in any 18-24 hour period, starting at your last dose.

And don't expect Lope to fix everything, or reduce symptoms by very much at all. Most who use it aren't WD'ing from that much MS or heroin (130mg ms or 65mg H). Esp long term users of a month or more.

If you can taper at all or with something else not OTC, it would be highly recommended.

I've never abused morphine specifically, but from my extensive experience with H/methadone/bupe - I wouldn't expect much from lope. It will stop you getting the shits, but that's not usually a huge day-1 problem anyway. It will slightly take the edge off some WD symptoms. But I think the amount needed to actually curb serious WD's is just stupid, what are you trying to achieve with it anyway? You can't cheat WDs other than a taper. If you take something that makes them go away, then you're just prolonging your habit (i.e; if you are going to take a huge lope dose, why not just take your regular morphine dose instead?)

What exactly is your reason for wanting to do lope for a single day instead of your regular morphine?

loperamide does very little for true releif of w/d symptoms, mainly affects gut motility and does very little in terms of central effects

so it'll cure your shits but not pain/malaise/rls etc

As others have said, and I think I have said to you before, the lowest effective dose is the key here. My own peripheral symptom relief came at around 20mg (10-15 2mg capsules) depending on how I was. Note: other high doses tried over the years PLEASE keep it as low as possible.

I can tell you categorically that it does effect your peripheral nervous system as any other opioid/opiate does, and there is evidence of its effects being on par with hydromorphone in this regard (Been both taught this by my Prof and studied it among others in a 2nd year Pharmacology degree paper)

It was only rerouted from a commonly synthesised Mu agonist in the 1970’s and R&D funding had to be recouped somehow (hence Imodium) The BBB is passed slightly and can be noticeable in high doses. Personally I find great relief from rls and all bodily symptoms with also a slight mood boost above 30mg. Obviously YMMV.

P.S Take my Oxy and remove molecular ability to affect my cns and you would still get symptom relief. This is no different ?

they’re not that great for the rls and depression

I find loperamide to be good for RLS, but not for depression. It makes my body feel very heavy.

loperamide does very little for true releif of w/d symptoms, mainly affects gut motility and does very little in terms of central effects

so it'll cure your shits but not pain/malaise/rls etc

It does have a substantial effect on the body in high dosages, I don't care what anyone says to the contrary unless they've tried it themselves (it doesn't seem to work for some people). But it's no magic bullet. It definitely won't 100% cure withdrawal no matter what the dose. It does not produce any sort of euphoria. It does produce a body presence that helps with withdrawal symptoms. It takes away some of the anxiety, and the runny eyes/nose, and the RLS (for me). Removal of RLS is like 50% of withdrawal for me, definitely the worst symptom. It makes it a lot more bearable but it's not going to cure your withdrawals, it just takes like 75% of it away (but does leave the depression in my experience, but mutes it some as well). Also it's dangerous and bad for your heart.

While loperamide does help WD, I dont find that it necessarily has the right activity to find a "correct" dosage. 2-8mg at most are going stop GI movement at maximum efficacy. Hitting the the 50mg mark helped me with other WD symptoms, and all the away up to 200+mg giving me a high, but the risks substantially outweigh the benefits. I could physically feel the toll that was taken on my stomache and heart after using. The side effects cause a completely different malaise in exchange for the relief of withdrawal.

I've never abused morphine specifically, but from my extensive experience with H/methadone/bupe - I wouldn't expect much from lope. It will stop you getting the shits, but that's not usually a huge day-1 problem anyway. It will slightly take the edge off some WD symptoms. But I think the amount needed to actually curb serious WD's is just stupid, what are you trying to achieve with it anyway? You can't cheat WDs other than a taper. If you take something that makes them go away, then you're just prolonging your habit (i.e; if you are going to take a huge lope dose, why not just take your regular morphine dose instead?)

What exactly is your reason for wanting to do lope for a single day instead of your regular morphine?

I'm neither tapering nor trying to quit. I just always run out of my weekly prescription in 4-5 days and have already had an absurd amount of OTC Paramol (it's like co-codamol but with dihydrocodeine).

I find loperamide to be good for RLS, but not for depression. It makes my body feel very heavy.

It does have a substantial effect on the body in high dosages, I don't care what anyone says to the contrary unless they've tried it themselves (it doesn't seem to work for some people). But it's no magic bullet. It definitely won't 100% cure withdrawal no matter what the dose. It does not produce any sort of euphoria. It does produce a body presence that helps with withdrawal symptoms. It takes away some of the anxiety, and the runny eyes/nose, and the RLS (for me). Removal of RLS is like 50% of withdrawal for me, definitely the worst symptom. It makes it a lot more bearable but it's not going to cure your withdrawals, it just takes like 75% of it away (but does leave the depression in my experience, but mutes it some as well). Also it's dangerous and bad for your heart.

...so basically not worth it just for a single withdrawal day before I get my usual meds again?

...so basically not worth it just for a single withdrawal day before I get my usual meds again?

Pretty much. You will mostly likely experience a nasty hangover effect from the loperamide and you script will not help that out. Your body is just too taxed from the large doses necessary to curb true WD.

It's not going to stop withdrawal completely without obnoxiously dangerous dosing, but just the psychological issues are barely a problem, you can function normally. Dose really depends on your body and tolerance level.

Note that every adverse cardiac incident documented has occurred at >200mg, and the 200s only once, all others were >400mg/day chronic or >800mg acute, so I have had a disagreement with people here about the harm reduction value of discouraging its use for withdrawal below the 100mg that virtually eliminates withdrawal in substantial tolerance levels.
And if you're considering adjusting on the fly, wait 3 hours at least. Loperamide is slow to take effect (and slow to metabolize, people get in trouble with doing every day because its absolute floor half life of 11h-- possibly much higher for larger doses-- means constantly escalating levels).

I have had a disagreement with people here about the harm reduction value of discouraging its use for withdrawal below the 100mg that virtually eliminates withdrawal in substantial tolerance levels.

^ Why champion very high dose Loperamide to someone who doesn't need that amount or the dangers that come with it ? You do know this is a HR site right???

Seeing as this is a one day bridge till his other meds are to be filled, and we have several threads on Lope addiction that started out just like this situation.. Do you really want to advertise massive amounts to someone that doesn't need it?

Sure, in massive WD where people are on the verge of doing some very harmful or fatal things, Lope can help a lot, but at a price of knowing it can be used again, therefore being used as a crutch much more often.

Why not let us advise responsible amounts so as not to create a Lope addict if he gets his meds cut off? That seems very irresponsible to prove us all wrong and not see the nuance of what we are all trying to accomplish in my opinion.

While the risk does increase with very high doses, it's not unheard of at lower doses.

Unexpected Serious Cardiac Arrhythmias in the Setting of Loperamide Abuse

Loperamide metabolite-induced cardiomyopathy and QTc prolongation

Unexpected Serious Cardiac Arrhythmias in the Setting of Loperamide Abuse.

Last edited:
I have successfully withdrawal from Percocet with 20mgs of loperamide. However, kratom is much more helpful and less side effects. If you do go the loperamide route I would take a laxative with it because you basically only want the side effects of loperamide. I take dxm with it too as this seems to help it act more centrally. I dose loperamide once a day and on the label DXM Extended release twice a day. But like I said I take milk of magnesia first because I am not strong enough to wait that far into the withdrawal