• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How much education did you have when you first took drugs?

Raz

Bluelighter
I was thinking about this after hanging out with a friend of mine on the weekend. Ecstacy is a new thing for her, and I was kind of shocked that she had literally no idea about it at all...how it works or what it is even beyond being a pill with a symbol on it.

Then tonight I started thinking about the first time I ever had E. I was pretty much uneducated, but still had a general idea that "it makes you happy by altering the chemicals in your brain." I remember being pleasantly surprised that I didn't have the dreaded suicidal comedown I'd been scared was gonna happen.

Since then, I'd say 99% of everything I know about drugs is from this site...I'm not the absolute expert on drugs that some people are, but thanks to bluelight I have enough knowledge to keep myself out of mischief and I feel confident discussing harm minimisation with less experienced people.

So, how much knowledge about drugs did you have before ever using them? Any preconceptions that got blown out of the water? And how much have you learned since your first time?

--President Raz--

Well after a few years of a fair amount of weed and vodka :) and a little k on the side, i thought it was time to get some more knowledge on drugs and the effects both good and bad for me. I was talking to some guy in year 12 english 1 day who told me about erowid.org, damn what a good website :)

From there i found a fair bit about the drugs themselfs, then bluelight taught me more the personal side of the drugs, it was also a good place cause well its bluelight :)

But prior to that the only knowledge of drugs was really through word of mouth, as i know better then to listen to the media :)

I definately educated myself before i tried ecstacy. But only really for a day... i was still in school and one of my friends had been going to raves already for two years and i had the whole "ill never do drugs" attitude. I was 16... then one day i simply just decided i wanted to try E at our year twelve formal. I read up all about it i think for a bit on erowid and other drug related sites (didnt know about bluelight then, this was in 99)... and yeah. I read up on it all before i tried it. Then after fund bluelight became a drug info nazi for about a year, then got over it and just yeah... ;)

a reasonable amount - i'd read quite a lot on bluelight and erowid before i took my first pill (which, apart from alcohol, was the first drug i'd ever had), and was pretty happy that i knew what i was doing.

since then i've absorbed a *shitload* more, but i'd still say that i knew *enough* the first time i tried it...

i knew nothing at all, only what my mate told me about them (pills). it sounded good so i gave it a shot, then a month or so later i signed up here and learnt a lot : ).

i didnt know too much. my bf started me on it when i was 18. i had the "i'll never do drugs attitude" but he gave me a quarter once, and it didnt do anything, but my bf was pretty happy so i had more the next time and loved it.

he told me a little about how it worked, enough to convince me to at least give it a go. then after i wanted to know more...

I think my knowledge ran as far as www.ectasy.org and a bit off Dancesafe. I knew a BIT about the drug and started into harm reduction before I took my first pill. However, that didnt stop me being a dick and taking a total of 17 dexies and a bucket load of Nodoze, beroccas and other caffine tablets on my first run.

It was a lesson (two week hangover lesson) and I havent done anything quite that stupid since.

I knew absolutely nothing. Well I knew that ecstasy was a pill that you took and made you feel happy. That was it. I am scared at the lack of information that I had, and I am ashamed to say that at one stage of my unelightened consumption I definitely uttered the fantastic line: "yeah these pills are smacky, they have a heroin base, oh but you can't get addicted to heroin through these" :\

About a year after I started I was introduced to pillreports and from there on to bluelight. Thank some higher power for bluelight for stopping me from being so fucking stupid.

CB.

I knew nothing just the media's sterotype of "drugs is BAD!" and I never received any drug education at school, just information on grog, ciggies and cannabis...... which just lead me to try grog, weed, and ciggies..... :D

I knew bit of information from the erowid site few years back, but I wasn't really into the chemicals, I only just started getting into chemicals last 2 years and I have learnt more since I have joined up Bluelight.......

Keep up with top job guys!

Urbie :D

i didnt really know too much about xtc before i triede it although i did talk to alot of people about it (not read up on it) and i trusted the person that gave me my first pill.

I smoked DMT not knowing what it even was and it was actually my first hallucigen drug , that was stupid really :\ but nothing bad happened, i was just blown away from what i saw.

Acid i had a fair idea what it would do but i was still confused when i had it not really understanding exactly what it would do to me but how the hell do you explain acid to someone who has never had it really? everyones trip is different and you just dont get acid until you trip *shrugs*

since those though i reaserch drugs heaps before i try them.

Well when I first took drugs, I was about 2/3rds of the way through university, now after two years of taking drugs, I'm about back at kindergarden. =D

Seriously, when I first took a pill I don't think I knew anything about it, except that it was a bad, bad thing to do, but I had seen one of my best friends go through his first pill (well up to about 4am when I got sleepy and went home) so I sort of had a guinea pig who tried it out for me first.

I knew e was illegal and that it made you feel good. That was it. I never had an interest in taking it - it was just offered to me one night by a trusted/experienced friend & I took it with no hesitation.

i was heavily into electronic music before i ever went clubbing, however i also had the 'say no to drugs' attitude. i never thought of even considering using drugs!

after going clubbing a few times, i think curiosity got the better of me, and me and my best mate (who'd been clubbing since he was 16 with a fake ID) decided that we'd pill! he'd stopped having them/speed since a bad experience on crystal meth a year or more beforehand...

so we aquired some pills from a friend (2 "locals" and 2 "imports" :p), we walked into the club, decided to have the "imports" (which was a great idea in hindsight! lol). 45 minutes later, nothings happening, i'm getting impatient, thinking we've been gipped! my friend walks off to fill some water or something, i start coming up FAST! i begin to freak out, i hold onto some barricade nearby and think "SHIT SHIT what have i done". my friend comes back, and the next 4 hours are UNBELIEVABLE! turns out that all the pills my friend had had previously were speedbombs :p

so in a few hours, my view on drugs has changed TOTALLY. the next day i commit myself to research, i find www.erowid.org and bluelight.ru and am hooked on finding out every single thing i can about e!

looking back, the period following my first time, i overdid it... i would say i became 'psychologically addicted', and while i didn't pill nearly as much as alot of people do, i still think i went too far. it wasnt the fact that i pilled way too often, it was the fact that i thought about it all the time... i lost sight of everything else life had to offer. i ended up taking a 6+month break, and since then i've continued to have a great time every time i pill, however i don't feel that 'addiction' that i used to... theres so many more things to life than drugs which i can and do enjoy!

drugs are great when they feel like a 'bonus'...

so yea, to answer the question :p :p i knew hardly anything about E before i tried it, but after that first time i endeavoured to find out as much reliable information as possible! thanks bluelight!

I was a drug infomation snob when i first started taking pills/ acid. While i'd like to say harm minimisation was driving my desire for knowledge, in all honestly, I was just a lil 14 year old way out of my depth - trying to use drug knowledge to seem more experienced than i was:\

A little knowledge and wanting to be more 'hardcore' than everyone else is not a good combination....

Thankfully everything turned out ok, a few months later i was bringing ravesafe out to my school as my year 10 communication project and had officially taken on the role of 'drug mother' of my group.

It's interesting how many people here seem to have been absolutely hardcore anti-drugs before taking them; I was one of them, and this lasted until my 20's. I never even touched my first drop of alcohol until I was 17 or 18, which is a big thing in the boozehound family I come from..

And like 1234 said, pills were the first thing other than alcohol that I had. I remember proudly proclaiming that I'd never snort or plug anything because then I'd feel like a real drug addict...and also remember the first time I ever railed speed, feeling like I was some truly hardk0re muddaphucka LOL 8)

It really surprises me to be honest...I see myself now as having a much more sensible attitude; I mean I nearly broke up with my ex over the first time I saw him use amyl for crying out loud; but if at the age of 17 I'd been able to see myself as I am now, ten years later, I wouldn't have believed it. It's funny how we change... :)

the first drug i had was acid.
i knew absolutely nothing about it. one of my mates came up to me one day and said "we are tripping tonight, you wanna join us?". i had the money, and was up for soemthing new(i was sick of pot), so i said yeah.

no one knew it was my first time, so they gave me two 8o it was a great night. apart from the fact that in my tripping stupor, i ripped off the crown of one of my mates prized mull plants and gave it to him as a present. needless to say, he was mightily pissed off. that was until a few days later, when he realised it was my first time using any drug besides pot. then all they could do was laugh about it.

i felt so bad about doing that. it was a great plant, and i can't even remember doing it. but i do remember giving it to him, so i know it was me.

after that experience, i decided to do some research on drugs, so i would know what i was getting myself into. i mean, i had absolutely no idea what acid would do to me. none at all.
i feel if i had of known what it was gonna do, i would have only had one, and propbably wouldn't have ripped off the crown.

even after taking acid, i was dead against pills and speed. then again, by chance, a friend came around with a cap of mdma, and offered it to me. i bought it, and had a great night. and then one night my sister shouted me some speed.
and i haven't looked back since. except i'm still not a big fan of speed, but i wouldn't turn it down if offered.

Originally posted by sonic_reality
the first drug i had was acid
(i was sick of pot)

right...you *do* realise that pot is a drug, don't you? admittedly, acid is still a pretty "interesting" choice when you'd never had pills before, but weed *is* a psychedelic, too.

People are supposed to educate themselves before taking drugs? Wha? When did this happen?

=D

Seriously, at 12 I couldn’t have given a rats what anybody was telling me about what I was doing and at 15 I would have just thought the person trying to inform me was really just one of those idiots who tells you that ecstasy makes holes in your brain – which although I didn’t know for sure was untrue, I knew that I was having fun and that’s all that counted.

I think it’s safe to say I was totally uneducated before trying weed, ecstasy, acid, mushies, ketamine, speed (meth) and coke but was educated before I tried most other things. In fact, as a teenager I was better researched about the pharmaceuticals I was taking than I was about the illicits I enjoyed. I wasn’t interested in learning either - learning could have stopped all the fun, if I had researched it and found out for sure that it would put holes in my brain I would have had that thought each time I took (note: i didn't say that it would have stopped me taking).

I believe education is important but I also understand the person I was at the age I started tampering with drugs and nothing that anybody could have said would have got in the way of my enjoyment (funny how some things stay the same hmm? ;))

I think I was around 18/19 when I decided it was time for me to figure out what was going on up there when I took drugs – I was starting to feel a little bit “dumb” and was struggling with my final year of my first bachelors and kinda figured it was to do with my drug intake because that had gone up as my study went down - the thought of all those "killing your braincells" stories being true terrified me so I decided to educate myself. :)

like many other posts have said...

I can 100% say that I knew little to nothing about any kind of drug before i experimented with them.
apart from the whole concept of the being 'bad drugs' and 'not to take them' :\

I also got a alot of talking about the supposed peer pressure that I would soon experience and to alwase say 'NO' to drugs when offered.

but I dont remembered drugs being offered to me of a silver plate by a whole bunch of rowdy teenagers that were pressuring me to take them or they would exclude me. lol

I think I was taught alot of concepts on peer pressure and saying no to drugs than any actual facts and terms about what the effects and side effects of different drugs were.

i think its important for children growing up to be taught what harm drugs can do and what it can do to your life.
they need to be taught the insides of drugs and the affects.

I was about 15 when i tried drugs but i was 17 when I started to use them properly and regulary

:)