• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How much does Gabapentin affect alcohol? (plus DHC)?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I take quite a bit of Dihydrocodeine and have been on Gabapentin for about 4 months. I very rarely drink so have no current alcohol tolerance whatsoever (nor do I have a partial cross-tolerance from benzodiazepines or barbiturates).
I tend to also take my 28 day Gabapentin prescription (of 900mg/day) in around 18 days and do this on purpose so the 10ish day break every month stops me from becoming dependant or from building a tolerance.
I'm going to have some wine today and was wondering how MUCH having had Gabapentin (maybe 1500mg as of 1pm) will effect how much the alcohol effects me? I had a small amount of alcohol last week and seemed to get very drunk off very little. Anyone have any experience with drinking on Gabapentin? (Keep in mind I'm on an opioid, too, but I DO have a tolerance for that).

Point being, it is not safe and best avoided.

That was a true story too, one of my darker moments. I only know because my friends explained to me what happened.

You obviously really overdid it lol. And I'm not taking benzo's. And I'm asking for safety advise here about how much more the alcohol will effect me, so being safe (y)

Obviously mixing DHC and alcohol isn’t wise. The gabapentin may make it that you get drunk much quicker, especially if you haven’t an tolerance. I don’t see why you couldn’t have a few glasses though. I would definitely drink slowly and assess yourself. Thing with gabapentin is sometimes you just don’t know how it will interact because in some it does and some it doesn’t.

Tbh, I really didn't drink much. Adding the benzos probably wasn't smart, though the dosage wasn't huge. Neither was dose of gabapentin (less than 2 grams IIRC). Gabapentin SERIOUSLY potentiates alcohol, more than benzos.

Thanks for the replies :)
@PrincessDiz - how are you? It's been a while, henny <3
@Zephyn - you're very correct; it seems to significantly potentiate alcohol

So so far I've had:

Dihydrocodeine: 420mg
Gabapentin: 1500mg
3 Glasses of Wine

Feel good! Really chill <3

I normally drink/do pills on an empty stomach, but I did pair the wine with a small portion of tagliatelle carbonara (y)

Last edited:
Tbh, I really didn't drink much. Adding the benzos probably wasn't smart, though the dosage wasn't huge. Neither was dose of gabapentin (less than 2 grams IIRC). Gabapentin SERIOUSLY potentiates alcohol, more than benzos.

Things never seem to affect me much compared to others, like I have a natural high tolerance for everything.
Like, earlier this year I was with friends and (with ZERO tolerance to anything apart from my DHC) over the course of maybe 4 hours I had a) my DHC, b) 55mg Methadone c) 200mg Diazepam, d) a huge joint, e) shot up .1 of coke, twice and f) two bottles of wine. I did not sleep or even get fucked up. I only like 110lb. I was less under the influence of people who had way less than me. It's WEIRD. Like when I went for a colonoscopy and they gave me (all IV) 30mg Midazolam and 100mcg Fentanyl and felt NOTHING of the meds. It sucks.
Gabapentin, though, DOES make everything affect me much more.

Thanks for the replies :)
@PrincessDiz - how are you? It's been a while, henny <3
@Zephyn - you're very correct; it seems to significantly potentiate alcohol

So so far I've had:

Dihydrocodeine: 420mg
Gabapentin: 1500mg
3 Glasses of Wine

Feel good! Really chill <3

I normally drink/do pills on an empty stomach, but I did pair the wine with a small portion of tagliatelle carbonara (y)
It has indeed! Hope you’re well! Glad you’re having good time! ❤️

Remember I went to bar looking fine af on 300 milligrams of gabapentin much earlier in the day.

I was so drunk off of minimal booze never again :( Using the Einsteinian equation E=MC^2 -- and considering the earth's seasonal tilt I have calculated the following:
Gabapentinoids + booze = Village Drunk (or donkey either or). Nothing like being plastered at a gay bar as a helpless radiant twink around daddy bears. Sorry for the ramble lol... but it does for certain potentiate alcohol and noticeably so. Look out for the bears on the prowl for young strapping jocks.

Last edited: