• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How much coffee is too much?

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
I used to drink 3-4 cups of strong coffee daily, is that too much?

I've cut back to 1 daily, maybe 2 if I have to stay up and work on something.

id drink about 5 - 6 cups of strong coffee per day as well, it got to the point if i wasnt having coffee every few hours id get the worst headaches, id be moody, exhausted everything...

i said enough, gave it a few days, thank fuk for nurifon + and now im yeah just one coffee as well, sometimes i just OD on redbull and mother, which is probably worse :|

Two a day sounds like a sensible amount. Caffeine is a lot more addictive than people give it credit for, and chugging coffee all day is not exactly a recipe for good health. Drink more tea instead!

I used to drink about 5 - 8 cups a day as well. I've since cut back to 3 a day tops. Too much caffeine gave me headaches and w/d the following day if I didn't have a cup. I'd say there is no 'average decent amount' of coffee one should drink. It would depend on diet, exercise, and body size-overall health.

I've talked to a lot of people here in the AA/NA program and most of the people that go to meetings all through out the day drink at least 3-4 cups per meeting and go to at least 4 meetings a day. They tell me that they drink coffee at every meetings, and hit up Starbucks after the meetings. In general I believe that they drink upward to 15 or so cups of coffee, and if you want to compare espresso in the mix then it would be upward in the 20's.

I down coffee all through out the day, Hell I even drink about 2 cups at a 8pm AA meeting.
My self personally I drink about 8 cups a day. (They are those little Styrofoam cups).

In my opinion I have a suspicion that coffee is harmless until you begin to notice hyperactivity moments. Things such as nervousness, twitching, insomnia, and much more. Almost the same symptoms as cocaine produces.

Also I did talk to my friend's fiance/GF who is a nutritionist and she said how I shouldn't be drinking any coffee at all but she herself drinks it. 8)

kayenta-I do drink more tea, I drink anywhere from 3-5 cups of it a day. Some of it has caffeine like white, green, and black tea, and some of it is either decaf or herbal tea without caffeine at all.

Last edited:
A maximum daily intake of 400mg of caffeine is one reliable recommendation. Apparently Starbucks and all the other big commercial retailers lace the average coffee with ~150mg (!) of caffeine. Self ground stuff can be as low as ~75mg of caffeine (per 250ml of coffee). Guess it's your own calculation. Skipping heartbeats and poor sleep habits are always a good indicator of cutting back, though ;)

Personally, I find that if I haven't had any coffee for a few days, then any more than a couple of cups is too much. However if I'm in a phase where I'm drinking a lot of coffee then I can drink upwards of 8 cups without any issue / insomnia. I suppose this is to say that tolerance builds quickly in my case.

I'm also on a scrip for my ocd that is supposed to make you more caffeine sensitive, but I can't say I agree.

I had a professor tell my class that you should only have one or two 6 oz cups of coffee. Beyond that, your body almost considers it a caffeine over dose. Also, did you know that coffee has WAY more caffeine than redbull, mountain dew...all those energy drinks. Not just a little more, WAAAAAAY more caffeine in just one 6 oz cup of coffee.

It is recommended that people prone to kidney stones ought to control their intake of coffee to less than two cups or 16 ounces per day. Caffeine is discovered in other beverages such as soda which have to be limited to amount alike as well.
- link

nuff sed. as with everything it should be taken in moderation. if you're drinking enough to get tweaked or just drinking it all day long then it's going to have a negative impact on your kidneys and from what i've heard those stones can hurt like a BITCH to excrete!