• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How much Ativan can I safely take for a flight?

xjupiterx

Greenlighter
I am prescribed 1mg Ativan to take as needed. 1mg usually quells my anxiety/panic and I take it roughly every other day or less. I started cutting them in half even. I told my doctor and asked for something for an upcoming flight across country. She said "just take a whole one, maybe two". I just don't feel like that's going to help. Flying doesn't really bother me, I'm more worried about having a panic attack on the flight since I'm a bit claustrophobic.

How much ativan do you think I could safely take and still function to get off the flight when its over? I have a layover after 3 hours. 1 mg doesn't put me to sleep.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Well how much does put you to sleep? Benzos are safe when used alone. So I would say you could go as high as 4 mg and it should knock you out, but 3 mg might cut it. Now the effects will peak for about 2 hours so this is pretty much perfect, how long is your layover? Because you might be able to re-dose.

IME Ativan ins't the best benzo for panic attacks, but if you preload and take the ativan before you board the flight I'd imagine you would be fine. I wouldn't take over 4mg. Or maybe 2mg and a beer, most people will say not to mix booze with benzo but 1 beer isn't going to kill you

If you can get by with .5mg than 4mg is going to knock you out, or at the very least have you very comfortable. Are you going to be traveling alone? I wouldn't want to be too stoned wandering in unfamiliar places.

Well how much does put you to sleep? Benzos are safe when used alone. So I would say you could go as high as 4 mg and it should knock you out, but 3 mg might cut it. Now the effects will peak for about 2 hours so this is pretty much perfect, how long is your layover? Because you might be able to re-dose.

I have a 45 minute layover. 4 hours, 45 min layover, then 2 1/2 hours.

I should also mention that I am on Lexapro and Abilify, not sure if that matters.

I don't know how much will put me to sleep. I've never taken over 1 mg in a sitting.

Then I would take 3mg before you board the plain have yourself feeling nice and cozy. Then when you get off the plain wait until 10 minutes before your next flight and take either 1 or 2 but no more than 2 mg for the remainder of the trip. It will not interact with the other meds, and you should be nice and happy the whole flight. And you should arrive at your destination with a nice afterglow.

Then I would take 3mg before you board the plain have yourself feeling nice and cozy. Then when you get off the plain wait until 10 minutes before your next flight and take either 1 or 2 but no more than 2 mg for the remainder of the trip. It will not interact with the other meds, and you should be nice and happy the whole flight. And you should arrive at your destination with a nice afterglow.

Just noticed you're right next to me, location wise.

Thanks for the advice. It was very helpful.

Careful you might doze off and miss your cnx. If you can get by on 0.5, 2mg should be plenty. Then reload with another 2 when it starts to wear off

When I saw the thread title I freaked out for a second thinking you were a pilot. :D

2mg-2.5mg seems an ok dosage, you can also up it but you'll probably fall asleep.

I'm with the people recommending 2mg. If your normal dose is .5-1mg I don't see the need to immediately jump to 3-4mg. You just run the risk of being completely knocked out and missing your connecting flight. If 2mg isn't quite enough you can always dose more on the plane if needed...

Ya, I change my answer to 2-2.5, in your original post you said you use one or two a day, I thought that was at a time, like sometimes you do a 2 mg dose. I did not realize you meant in a day. I personally only take 1mg or 2mg doses. 1 mg if I am going into a stressful situation and I know in advance, 2 if I am in a situation I didn't think was going to be stressful and I am on the verge or in the middle of a panic attack. So for me the 3-4 mg dosage would be perfect with a re-dose before second leg of flight. But ya, find a way to make sure you wake up. What I have done in the past is talk to the lady or gentleman behind the desk at the gate my name and information and that I have taken a RXd sedative and there is a small chance I might sleep through the boarding call. Only once did it ever have to happen, and I was glad I told them. Because the lady came over tapped me on the shoulder and said sir your flight is ready. I was very thankful and then boarded the plane no problem. Even if they forget about it in the rush, the have to go over the roster and ask for names on the roster to come to the desk, SO by that time they will be like, duh that person came up to me earlier and sit RIGHT in front of that desk as close as you can.

I took ativan once,apparantly took too much,I don't remember two days of a music festival.My friends said I was walking around with my girlfriend normal and happy,I don't remember one second of the whole weekend.That shit is dangerous for me!!!I will never take anymore of it.