• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How much APAP is too much?

blueyedevil173

Bluelighter
I've been trying so fucking hard to wean myself off oxy, and it's not going so well...here's my question:

I have procured a large quantity of vicodin 5's, and have been taking 4 at a time 3 times a day to keep the sickness away. I plan on tapering off gradually over the next few weeks, but am I killing myself with apap? At this rate, I'm taking in about 6 grams a day, and that seems high.

Any advice?

The vics were all that were available besides oxy.

Anything over 4-5 grams of apap per 24 hour period is terrible on your body, esp your liver. I love pain meds but I wont even take vicodin 5/500 because I have to take about 40 milligrams of hydro to feel anything and the tylenol usually ends up making me feel shitty. I tell my doc I'm allergic to acetaminophen and he gives me vicoprofen which has ibuprofen instead of tylenol, Or maybe try for some Norcos ... they're 10 mgs of hydro with 325 apap.

Also Ive heard of a way to separate the hydrocodone from the apap using cold water extraction, but only if you have a large quantity, I have no idea how to go about it but maybe some of the other peeps here are more knowledgeable.

You will feel terrible and damage your live after 4 in one day, 8 is where toxicity hits, 12 is death.

Oxy w/ds are intense, but over in 3-4 days max. I toughed it out with loperamide, when I quit after 120mg of oxy a day.

The post acute withdrawal syndrome is gonna be tough though, and for most can last about 6 months. After not taking any for about 2 months I still experience terrible insomnia and occasional restless leg syndrome. It sucks.

You guys are so dramatic. No, it's not a good idea to take lots of Tylenol. But when you realize they prescribe 3g a day to people that weigh less than half what I do, 2g 3 times a day doesn't seem so bad.

If you're worried, do a cold water extraction. It works pretty good.

as said 4 grams is the recommended dose you should consume in a 24 hour period. (i took like 5g yesterday and im still here [i was paranoid though]) if you are weaning you should be getting less apap with time so try and wean faster? i hate 5/500s

Virtuoso said:
You will feel terrible and damage your live after 4 in one day, 8 is where toxicity hits, 12 is death.

Oxy w/ds are intense, but over in 3-4 days max. I toughed it out with loperamide, when I quit after 120mg of oxy a day.

The post acute withdrawal syndrome is gonna be tough though, and for most can last about 6 months. After not taking any for about 2 months I still experience terrible insomnia and occasional restless leg syndrome. It sucks.
dude im all for harmreduction but 6 grams of apap is unlikely to kill you I have done it and im still here. Dont do it but still its not that dramatic.

ive taken alot like that an im still kickin. dont know how my livers lookin though. taken vicodin is just going to prolong it. CT is how i kicked it.

According to dr. google, the liver is one of those rare organs that can function perfectly well while sustaining heavy damage. So while you might feel OK, that is no indication of how your liver is doing. Dr. Google also says taking milk thistle will prevent toxic substances from being absorbed by your liver.

I've taken a little over 5 grams at a time and felt fine. One thing that should be noted is that, as long as you don't have a history with alcoholism or any other kind of addiction that would have done previous damage to your liver, you'll probably be able to handle it. The reason I say that is, it is the prolonged exposure to high levels of APAP that will do people in. You do hear about people who get liver poisoning on their first 4 gram dose - but what you USUALLY see is people doing damage to their liver by using high levels of APAP over long periods of time, until eventually, their liver can't take it anymore.

Personally, what I'd do is go through the Oxy withdrawal to bring my tolerance down, THEN take the Hydrocodone/APAP. That way you don't even need to take a lot of APAP at a time.

But.. easier said than done - I know :D

yeah, the APAP makes me too sick to enjoy the hydrocodone so i dont even fuck with it anymore. if you're on oxy i suggest just toughing it out. during my oxy withdrawal vicodin didnt do shit, just had to deal w the restless leg, nightmares, etc.
as of now i consider hydrocodone in the same category as ibuprofen- helps the pain but not fuckin nearly enough.

Word I ate a handful of 13 5/325's and didn't even get off, wasn't sick but barely tired, shit like that used to knock me out before a year and a half of iv H.

sponger said:
According to dr. google, the liver is one of those rare organs that can function perfectly well while sustaining heavy damage. So while you might feel OK, that is no indication of how your liver is doing. Dr. Google also says taking milk thistle will prevent toxic substances from being absorbed by your liver.

Milk thistle will not help weith paracetamol as the toxic products are produced in the liver. The only things to help paracetamol overdose are methionine or N-acetylcysteine (sources for making glutathione - it's lack of glutathione that leads to all the damage from overdose)

Hey F&B, pubmed.gov will tell you a different story(search for milk thislte, duh). While milk thistle would NEVER help an overdose, taking, dose decrease the hepatoxicitiy of apap use.

This is not a dick-sizing post. Maybe, an exception that God gave me a pass I dont know.

Anyways, At the peak of my Vicodin addiction, I was taking 30-40 5/500 Vicodin a day for at least 4 moths. Thats about 15 -20 grams of APAP a day. How I'm still living I don't know. I've been checked and my liver is fine. The Drs. reccomend I only take NSAID's from now on... I follow their advice.

DO NOT THINK YOU CAN DO THIS AND BE FINE. THIS CAN AND MOST LKELY WILL BE DEADLY.

<3

max 5-7 grams (probably weight is a factor as well) most i've ever taken was ~ 4 grams.

do not drink, that will harm your liver even more.

if you are taking oxy/apap or hydrocodone/apap or anything similar do a CWE and save your liver (especially if your a habitual user)

edit: just checked wiki (as always) and of course they say the recommended max. daily dose is 4g as stated above. but what i thought was interesting was that it said APAP can be IV'd or IM'd which i had known but it reminded me to ask the question i wanted to ask when i first found out about that....

Why would you IV APAP and in what setting/situation does that occur and what is the advantage besides if someone can't swallow a pill, nausea, etc.

6 grams of APAP per day is just past the toxic limit for the average person. You really need to get your liver checked out IMO. You might have built up a tolerance to APAP, but that is way too much to be taking on a daily basis. If you're going to continue to use opiates at this amount or any significant amount, do a cold water extraction for the sake of your health. Oxycodone and hydrocodone are water soluble chemicals and APAP isn't water soluble.

I took 24 vics in one 24 hour period and got paranoid, but nothing happened. I was an alcoholic for a year and the doctor actually said that he's not sure if that would be bad or good because on one hand, the liver toughens up as you damage it, but on the other after years of alcoholism when your bordering on cirrhois who knows. Like the guy said where he was taken up to 30-40 a day...there was a football player who was taken up to 70 a day. That's 35 grams of APAP. You build it up and up and your liver toughens up. I'm sure that football players liver is fucked long term, but the reason it didn't cause his liver to failure or kill him is his tolerance for the toxicity went up.

This is not a dick-sizing post. Maybe, an exception that God gave me a pass I dont know.

Anyways, At the peak of my Vicodin addiction, I was taking 30-40 5/500 Vicodin a day for at least 4 moths. Thats about 15 -20 grams of APAP a day. How I'm still living I don't know. I've been checked and my liver is fine. The Drs. reccomend I only take NSAID's from now on... I follow their advice.

DO NOT THINK YOU CAN DO THIS AND BE FINE. THIS CAN AND MOST LKELY WILL BE DEADLY.

<3

If this isnt a dicksizing post then why the heck did you post it here? It serves no purpose except to justify the delusion of some random addict in WD that might come across this thread and think that they will be one of the special ones too