• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol How much alcohol is too much?

I am a recovering alcoholic and so help me God, I could not do the 12 step program. I despised AA meetings. Unfortunately, what I did was switch my addiction to Hydrocodone. I know that opiates are a terrible addiction, but at least I don't get wasted and drive my car anymore. I will take the opiate addiction over alcohol addiction any day.

^The hard truth is that virtually every substance known to man is "better" to be addicted to than ethyl alcohol, yet it is the most culturally acceptable drug in most all jurisdictions. "Wanna come over and have a beer?" - ""Wanna go grab a drink" - "The only way to meet chicks is at the bar" - "This deserves a toast" - "What do you mean you can't drink, we're just gonna have one margarita, we're at a mexican restaurant." - "It's an oktoberfest team day at work" On and on and on and on.

So very true Keif'. It is shoved in our faces every where we go. I try my best to stay away from any situation that I know will include alcohol. I will never say that I will not drink again. I just will try like hell not to. That will have to be good enough for now at least!

I began drinking like thread-starter ... only on special occasions, but mostly too much. then I drank on weekends mostly, several years later I was drinking also during the week allready. it ended as I became physically addicted to booze and drank every day, up to 8 bottles of beer, 1 or 2 bottles of vine and in the end even 1 could drink one bottle of vodka with several beers without vomitting/passing out.

I'd recommend to stop drinking completely! you may enjoy it now, but it mostly leads to an addiction which is really hard to get rid of.

Alcoholism runs in my family and there was a period where I drank an average of 2L red wine, max of 4L and min of 1L every day, other times I spent drinking 8 or so tall boys every night or could go through 2 750ml during Fri-Sun period. I too began to think how much is too much and always had a hard time understanding true alcoholics as people around me made it seem I was, when I was indeed abusing it & well on my way to becoming one I couldn't relate to other alcoholics. Opioids, forget about it, I can easily tell when I have a problem.

I couldn't ever gage alcohol in terms of alcoholism until recently when an acquaintance and patient at our methadone clinic that I used to drink with not too long ago, maybe 5-6 years ago. We were talking about the same thing and we were discussing alcohol use/abuse and so on when I asked him "Do you still black out anymore?" as that was a big problem for me and what answer I got put a 1hr+ phone conversation to an end, "I can't afford to (drink until I black out) anymore" - he said on the other end. Only then did it sink in what it really meant to be an alcoholic. Mind you I grew up in the Balkans where we drink a lot and that's why I couldn't understand it b/c people in the building would fall dead drunk on the stairs from the 1st floor all the way down and through the building door's window died from liver cirrhosis before reaching 30, our neighbor upstairs to this day still is paralyzed on one side of his face gravely affecting his speech so bad we nicknamed him Tarzan due to drunkenly yelling and constantly beating his working wife who was always seen with a black eye, in the countryside someone in my mothers part of the family had a bad drinking problem (before my time) one day came home so drunk he stabbed his mother to death... once waking up and seeing what he did he went to prison where he died of chirosis, while his brother drank himself to death basically all these horror stories.

Once I got at that point where I started to fear physical damage which was around this time last year to be precise, I decided to go on methadone and haven't drank in over 8 month simply b/c I don't want to. I had been clean of opioid too so it was a big bummer I decided to go on a max of 60mg but I take about 200mg a day now and still want to increase. On the plus side I know I am not damaging my organs in the long run and I know that my mind is intact and able to focus, study, drive, etc which I couldn't even think of while drinking.

p.s. Out of every single drug and there are *many* not keeping track but those that know me don't need this pointed out, alcohol makes me react the worse and I have a lot of different people tell me this be they friends that I get drunk/high with or parents, even I have recognized that alcohol makes me react the worst from any drug.

Last edited:
I say it with certainty because it is a fact. Some, but not all, alcoholics need to stop drinking entirely. The AA lines are simply untrue, there are no scientific studies that support their methods (in fact, every study ever done shows the opposite, including AA's own study that is referenced in the Big Book, but even that is over 50 years old, and excluded the answers of women because they didn't match the mens').

Grinders, to answer your other questions, I simply believe that is more individual (best decided with your doctor and therapist, not a bunch of drunks at a meeting or an "addiction counselor" who has no college degree), and creating the false dichotomy of A. abstinence OR B. relapse and die, does only a disservice to most people who have a drinking problem.

I do not mean to say that there are not people who are helped by AA. The more important point is that AA is no more effective than placebo, and many people overdose and die because of AA/NA's teachings about abstinence and relapse (causing people to go on a binge, rather than ever try to use safely).

I highly recommend everyone read these articles by The Atlantic. They're quite long but do an excellent job of explaining the objective issues with AA.
http://www.theatlantic.com/features...irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/the-surprising-failures-of-12-steps/284616/

I read the Orange Papers years ago on why AA didnt work (for me). Turns out not only am I not alone, Im in the vast majority. It was good to read those articles

Thanks S. I like your honesty. I wouldn't expect anything less on this site. What is going on with the benzos? I mean what is the EtOH? One of my reasons--for so much self medicating is "akathisa." (great Wiki on it...and I don't put a lot of stock in Wiki's generally, but if you care to look?) I haven't been diagnosed, but its a movement disorder, correlates to Parkinson's. I drink with opiates, just waiting sometimes not to wake up on earth. Trying not to be too fatalistic... I hope you are getting some help too? Or maybe doing what you need to to help yourself. Have you had seizures while taking both together, or seizures while abstaining from it all, or some combination? Can you speak to the GABA drugs, I've been prescribed some myself, did not do what the docs hoped (for me anyway). Did you get any kind of remedy from them? Thank you. best.

yeah Grinders, I don't think I can do it 100 percent sober. For awhile maybe. I wish I knew how. Thank you for your input.

ha ha Brighton, you (and Goodgirl78) would be fun at parties. probably tooo much fun.

What I've noticed with booze is that everyone reacts somewhat differently, so I'd imagine that what constitutes "too much" must vary as well.

The rule of thumb I've always heard for drinking, say, at a party, is that at the very first sign of dizziness or the room starting to spin, you STOP. IME that's always prevented blackouts, ER visits, and excessive loss of inhibitions, but again your mileage may vary from person to person.

WTF kinda stupid question is this?

2 beers, always 2 beers.

What's enough to kill one person will get another feeling good. Same as dope, same as most substances. Come on, you knew this before you even asked. If not, I'm thinking your mother should have asked how much booze is too much while she was pregnant with you - this is just dumb fuck question.

about a yr agoi used to be able to drink anywhere from 6 to 12 beers within a few hours and never get any serious side effects and this was daily
a couple months ago with 3 beers i feel completely hammered daily sometime 2 and half beers and ill usually pass out
i wanna quit but i honestly never tried i never exp shakes other than extreme anxiety
i was diag with GAD and panic
think the fear of exp withdrawals is what keeps me drinking
the doc said i shouldnt exp anything because its not enough hell she even says having a glass or 2 of red wine nightly can be good to you
always looking for advice?

I think you have drinkin too much if you can't get out of bed in the morning cause it feels like your head is splitting and you can't stop vomiting. Which probably wont happen if your a regular drinker so the next best way to tell is if you consistently can't remember last night.