• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How many times have you cheated Death? Or: We, the Lucky Ones...so far

jasperkent

Bluelighter
Wasn't sure where to put this, but Philosophy seemed relevant. Mods, feel free to move this anywhere.

So how many times have you come REALLY CLOSE to dying? How you define "really close" is entirely up to you.

Me:
I've ODed twice for sure, probably several other times. The 2 I'm certain about both involved pentobarbital + other drugs. Was found quite by accident both times, came to several days later in ICU on a ventilator.

I was in 3 car crashes that should have been fatal, all alcohol-related. I was driving (and alone) in one: MG Midget convertable, top down, no roll bar, not wearing seat belt. Flipped it. No injuries whatsoever. Yeah, I know. How is that possible? I dunno.

I was shot at from 20-30 feet away with a .38 caliber pistol. He missed.

Once I was drunk and suicidal so I laid down on RR tracks. The train was running late that night and I got tired (and thirsty) of waiting so I went and got some beer. Passed out before I got back to the tracks.

I have more, but I'd like to hear from other folks.

Ya gotta be kidding me.

With all the drunks, junkies, tweakers, trippers, rollers, smokers, dopers, and other lovers of high-risk behaviors out there NObody has a tale to tell?

How many times i've tried to kill myself? Many enough to stop calling for help, slit my veins, shot ungodly amounts of rc's at once stimulants and opioids, crashed few cars high speed (sober and intentionally). At some point i've started to wonder: how am i still here? You might think that im bad at it, but belive me i was sure that im gonna die many, many times. And still here, only one thing that i am certain of is that im gonna die of suicide, only question is when.
TJMQk4c.jpg

Overdosed on a shot of Coke, pushed the plunger down, rush started them BOOM waking up coming to on the floor of a bathroom getting cold water splashed on me. Lips had a bluish tint to them and arms were tingly/numb. Back when I was 14 years old.

Numerous fights where knives were used against me, bullets whizzing close by on several occasions in high crime drug areas, which is sadly the norm in many parts of where I live.

Friend almost pulled out and got T-boned by a Semi truck (which was going probably 55 mph) ... this happened while we were out of our minds on LSD , stupid decision for him to drive at all.

I took 18 2mg Alprazolam bars throughout a day and with my inhibitions being almost non existent, I also took a few 10mg hydrocodone, and 2 70mg vyvanse. I apparently was so fucked up that I almost fell off an overpass onto a fairly busy highway, my friends pulled me back and saved my life . Blacked out for about 5 days, no memory whatsoever of what I did in those 5 days. This is the doses I was told I had taken, plus what I remember having before I fully blacked out. Unsure whether or not I got any more drugs after that one day, because i was alone, or at least not with my normal circle of friends.

This is a few of my "close calls". I was a very dumb teenager. Thank God I grew up a little and behave a bit more responsibly..

Many times everything went black and i could only feel the pain but always opened my eyes in the end.

I once shot something like 1.5g of hexen after initial, "if i stand up im going to die" i thought that my brain is going to never recover from that, luckily a month later everything was pretty much normal.

I overdosed and was narcaned after the cops busted the back window of my car out and drug me into the street. The cop said I was blue and not breathing. I think I was really close to the edge, but likely would have come out of it. Who knows though, yenno? That whole incident led me to being more stable in life and actually giving a shit about cleaning up my act. Court mandated diversion will do that if you follow the process. I followed the process and it likely saved my life. Certainly saved the relationship with my then fiancee and now wife of more than 10 years.

My big sister tried to stab me with a scissor when we were kids. Fortunately she had the eye to hand coordination of Stephen Hawking, so she just shived me above the hip bone instead of puncturing my lung or hitting the kill switch.

A lot of drug-related stuff of course - overdosing, falling down stairs, knifes, cars, baseball bats, fucking bicycles.

I can't count them all and I honestly don't know how I'm still alive. Actually, I think all the NDEs I've had have created a sort of living death where I'm not exactly the same person anymore, especially the times related to chronic illness. I think partially crossing over even if it's just a tiny bit is enough to permanently alter them.

I've been in 12 car accidents total in my life, all as a passenger except 1. And 5 of those were near-fatal.

I have a chronic illness that has nearly killed me about 6-7 times now since 2015. I have been defibrillated before because of it. In the first year when my family and I didn't fully comprehend how my illness would play out, I made my own funeral plans, last will and testament, the works.

When I was 1 year old I got severe food poisoning that left me so dehydrated I slipped into a coma for 3 days. They almost lost me.

In 2017 I was walking across a cross-walk at an intersection when a car ran a red light and headed straight for me. At that moment a car traveling on the green-lighted road t-boned it and prevented it from hitting me. The glass of its windshield landed at my feet, but that was it.

I've had two other NDEs that were self-induced, stupidly. I don't wish to say more about those.

I've had other kinds of indirect near-misses... like if I had been somewhere 5 minutes earlier or later, I would have been dead. Do those count? If so there are numerous examples, kind of like "I was almost a passenger on the Titanic" examples.

There are probably others I'm forgetting. I've never written them all own like this before. How am I still here? I have no idea.

How many times i've tried to kill myself? Many enough to stop calling for help, slit my veins, shot ungodly amounts of rc's at once stimulants and opioids, crashed few cars high speed (sober and intentionally). At some point i've started to wonder: how am i still here? You might think that im bad at it, but belive me i was sure that im gonna die many, many times. And still here, only one thing that i am certain of is that im gonna die of suicide, only question is when.
TJMQk4c.jpg
Don't do it, bro. There might be plenty of good reasons to hang in there.

I escaped death once by shooting a guy who pointed a gun at me while I was holding a shotgun. I was raised never to point a gun at someone unless you intended to use it and reacted accordingly.

I've witnessed two people stabbed to death. Fucked up shit.

I used to have PTSD but got over it.

Here's a hint, don't break into my home.

Last edited:
1. At birth I almost died by complications/suffocation, I was turning blue, emergency C-section.
2. At 11 I had an appendicitis burst which almost killed me.
3. At 15 I nearly died in the ocean in Hawaii
4. At 18 I nearly died by accidental poisoning
5. and about 5 or so dangerous 'near fatal' ODs over the years

the first 4 were true near death moments, I've always felt very lucky thinking back

maybe I really am still here for a reason

Here's a hint, don't break into my home.
I used to get high and break into people's houses, was a serial burglar for awhile. I was very young and very stupid and a huge piece of shit back then. (in America)

Thinking back... it's one of the stupidest russian roulettes I've ever played. But when you're blacked out on huge doses of xanax you don't really think about being killed (or how big of a piece of shit you are for breaking into houses).

I had to get arrested for it to finally realize what I was doing. I changed after that. I thought the cops were going to shoot me.

I definitely lean liberal, but I fully support gun rights and people's right to defend their home. I don't feel bad when burglars get shot.

@Snafu of the Forest I'm glad that you're not a burglar anymore. I don't have much respect for thieves.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I used to occasionally steal a beer when I was homeless. It was from a store and not a home invasion though, lol. I still felt kinda bad about doing it the times that I did.

I don't have much respect for thieves.
Neither do I.

Thievery almost gets glamourized by hollywood.

Stealing other things really led to me stealing my own soul. It's made me contemplate suicide tbh.

Then again it's a complex issue. I don't give a shit if somebody steals a hamburger from McDonalds.

Stealing from individual people, in their own homes, is the moral atrocity.

Neither do I.

Thievery almost gets glamourized by hollywood.

Stealing other things really led to me stealing my own soul. It's made me contemplate suicide tbh.

Then again it's a complex issue. I don't give a shit if somebody steals a hamburger from McDonalds.

Stealing from individual people, in their own homes, is the moral atrocity.
Don't kill yourself over it!! That would make me and a whole bunch of other people sad.

Don't kill yourself over it!! That would make me and a whole bunch of other people sad.
I'm just referring to past thoughts, don't worry :) I'd never do that

Just the things I've stole... the burglaries were nothing... what I stole from my own goddamn family was 10x worse than that

long, sad story

but I'm a different person now :) I honestly wouldn't steal a pack of gum anymore. I'm no longer morally bankrupt like that and have a good conviction in life now. That was a different version of me. Some people say they change, I really did change.

Two times I've had bad ODs while trying to kill myself. Both times I ended up in the hospital, and then inpatient rehab. The doctors said I was really close to dying, especially the first one.

Another time I ran into a bull in my car. Came to a dead stop like I had hit a brick wall. Airbag deployed, totally destroyed my car. If I hadn't been in an SUV, I very easily could have died.