• Current Events, Politics
    & Science

Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Science How many shades of color do YOU see in this image?

Jayybent2

Greenlighter
This has been going around twitter for the last few days. It reminds me of the debate about the picture of the shoes, etc, etc.

How many shades of color do you see below?

I see 11 fairly distinct bands. Others reckon they see more, others as few as 3 lol:

Read about the science below:

I see 12!!! This is pretty neat 😛

Reactions: CFC

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Interesting, logged in on my mobile, I can only see 7 shades even zoomed in. So clearly the quality of display or color gamut is causing at least some of the differences we're seeing.

Gormur

Bluelighter
I guess I see fewer than others here at only 6 colors, but that could be because I know of names for those colors and the rest looks like black dotted color patterns but without different colors in them

TripSitterNZ

Bluelighter
there is 14 quite visible ones to me. How you see 21 man i done hella LSD so my color perception is pretty good.

Hmm if i sit really far away from my monitor i can make out 17.

December Flower

Bluelighter
there is 14 quite visible ones to me. How you see 21 man i done hella LSD so my color perception is pretty good.

Hmm if i sit really far away from my monitor i can make out 17.
The article is really an interesting read.
There's actually only 11 colours, but the comparison of colours creates colours inbetween for our visual senses.

This diagram explains very well what's happening

December Flower

Bluelighter
The article is really an interesting read.
There's actually only 11 colours, but the comparison of colours creates colours inbetween for our visual senses.

This diagram explains very well what's happening
so I did a color space analysis and it's actually 65 different colours in the picture, haha :D The article said 11, but maybe pixellation increases the amount of colours here. If you really zoom in on the picture you can see 4-5 shade-changes every time there's a hard shift.

SnafuInTheVoid

Moderator: NSADD
Staff member
I have deuteranopia colorblindness and see 7, but I am also counting 3 bands that look almost identical (I am assuming they are different)

Outlier

Moderator: NSADD, DitM, SLR
Staff member
Am I fucked in the head or something I counted 23.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Am I fucked in the head or something I counted 23.

It's because you touch yourself at night. The devil is starting to bestow his evil sight upon you. Soon you'll be fully possessed and you'll probably start smoking reefers, too.