• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol how many people die of alchohol withdrawl ebery year?

nancy145

Bluelighter
i know its barely anyone but i barely ever drink and i like debating people about like drug laws and stuff so i'm looking for accuratte statistics with numbers, not really a general idea and safetey advise. thanks. btw ive already tried googling it, couldnt find anything.

Barely anyone? With all respect Nancy, you are extremely misinformed. Alcohol withdrawal, dependent of course upon severity, like that from all sedative/hypnotics, is extremely harmful, if not lethal. I can say with confidence - of course, I'm open to correction - that more people die as a result of alcohol abuse/withdrawal than from any other substance, if we exclude overdose situations. Hell, even if we didn't, alcohol would still probably be the leader of the pack. Globally, I'm sure it is.

I'm sure that many, many people die on a regular basis. Bear in mind, that unlike pharmaceuticals or hard drugs, alcohol is practically universally consumed. Every culture has or has had at one point it's own style of alcoholic beverage(s) and it's been this way since before recorded history. You can even manufacture alcohol in a prison/jail cell with only the materials provided to you in general day-to-day operations. Seeing that most of the world lacks the standard of medical care which many of us enjoy in the Western world, for instance, detoxification protocol for alcohol/sedative-hypnotic withdrawal, people with severe drinking problems in these "less-developed" areas are shit out of luck and their survival is left up to God.

So, given all of these variables, there is no possible way to estimate how many people die from alcohol withdrawal each year globally. There are civilizations that simply do not keep accurate, or even any statistics related to alcohol abuse or consumption. If you're seeking information with which to have friendly "debates" with people regarding the dangers or virtue of drug use or prohibition, than you can rest assured that alcohol is one of the very worst substances one can put into their body, if not the worst (my belief, besides maybe methamphetamine). I've seen more harm done socially and medically by alcohol by far than any other substance.

The funniest part about alcohol abuse, is that when I try to explain how dangerous it is ("you are better off medically as a heroin addict" etc.), even intelligent, supposedly well-informed folks, not only disagree, they laugh in your face and assume that my "mind has been warped or otherwise destroyed by use of heroin". Why would it be legal if it were so harmful? People trust our government entirely too much. Bernie Sanders for president.

Last edited:
Wow. Great post Keif'. That is one of the best explanations I've ever heard. How about cigarettes? They kill tons of people also. My 2 cents.

My grandpa was extremely extremely addicted to alchohol, i can't give exact amounts but he would probably drink alot more thank a 24 pack of beer in a day. When he kicked the habit it was extremely harsh, he had to do it in the hospital, he made it through it alive. And honestly he is a completely different person now, and a amazing person. Sorry i didn't directly answer your question but i do believe alcohol withdrawals have the ability to kill people quite frequently if their habit is too bad

I was doing alcohol and heroin at the same time, whenever I couldn't get some dope I would drink, I would drink like a fifth a night. Wake up every morning feeling hungover something awful. I would drink in the morning and it would go away, but I was always in this sort of awful haze of not knowing what was going on around me and feeling sick. But what I thought was opiate WD was actually alcohol WD. Turns out I wasn't even doing enough H to be WDing, I was making myself deathly ill from alcohol alone. Also, it is very true that alcohol is the most damaging drug on the human body and it is the most commonly used one. Opiates while very addicting wont kill you from WD alone. Alcohol you can die from overdose and you can die from prolonged use. Which is not the same for opiates. This country got all messed up in the early 1900s and then again in the 70 when they passed the control act. I just don't want to type anymore, but I have sooooo much to say on the subject. UGH...

alcohol is the devil, and in 5 days I will have been sober from alcohol for one year.

Barely anyone? With all respect Nancy, you are extremely misinformed. Alcohol withdrawal, dependent of course upon severity, like that from all sedative/hypnotics, is extremely harmful, if not lethal. I can say with confidence - of course, I'm open to correction - that more people die as a result of alcohol abuse/withdrawal than from any other substance, if we exclude overdose situations. Hell, even if we didn't, alcohol would still probably be the leader of the pack. Globally, I'm sure it is.

I'm sure that many, many people die on a regular basis. Bear in mind, that unlike pharmaceuticals or hard drugs, alcohol is practically universally consumed. Every culture has or has had at one point it's own style of alcoholic beverage(s) and it's been this way since before recorded history. You can even manufacture alcohol in a prison/jail cell with only the materials provided to you in general day-to-day operations. Seeing that most of the world lacks the standard of medical care which many of us enjoy in the Western world, for instance, detoxification protocol for alcohol/sedative-hypnotic withdrawal, people with severe drinking problems in these "less-developed" areas are shit out of luck and their survival is left up to God.

So, given all of these variables, there is no possible way to estimate how many people die from alcohol withdrawal each year globally. There are civilizations that simply do not keep accurate, or even any statistics related to alcohol abuse or consumption. If you're seeking information with which to have friendly "debates" with people regarding the dangers or virtue of drug use or prohibition, than you can rest assured that alcohol is one of the very worst substances one can put into their body, if not the worst (my belief, besides maybe methamphetamine). I've seen more harm done socially and medically by alcohol by far than any other substance.

The funniest part about alcohol abuse, is that when I try to explain how dangerous it is ("you are better off medically as a heroin addict" etc.), even intelligent, supposedly well-informed folks, not only disagree, they laugh in your face and assume that my "mind has been warped or otherwise destroyed by use of heroin". Why would it be legal if it were so harmful? People trust our government entirely too much. Bernie Sanders for president.

wow... I knew alcohol was worse than a lot of drugs, but i wasn't aware it was even comparable to something like meth or heroin. I strongly agree with you about our government, i mean most RC's are legal, cigs and alchohol are legal, and weed and most psychadellics are schedule 1 while PCP coke and methadone are schedule 2 and Valium and xanax are schedule 4. I know they need a lot of hard drugs schedule 2 instead of 1 because they have practical medical use, but that brings up a bigger problem. Why do we punish people who use drugs recreationaly based off of possible medical uses they're not using? and the federal government states PCP doesn't have any potential medical uses, but it's still schedule 2. They're literally saying PCP is safer than cannabis(which they believe has no medical uses). I'd rather have a more economically moderate, or if extreme than right, president than someone on the far left like Bernie, but I don't think economics is nearly as important as fixing everything else wrong with our country. Since Ron paul isn't running, I'd strongly agree with you. Bernie Sanders for president. I wanna keep writing but I'm gonna stop before I hijack my own thread lol.

A lot google it man, my dad died from it ...he had a massive tolerance and died with .63 in his system and yes .63 not .063

great post, agree with this post 100%, alcohol is a hard drug imo and should be treated as such when most people treat it more like a soft drug or something idk but they dont think its as srs as it is, i think meth is worse, but alcohol is pretty close, well meths far worse for you (health, mental health) imo but i think since alot more people use alcohol and abuse it its worse as a whole, but thats not to say that alcohol isnt really damaging and is just a poisonous toxic substance that your ingesting, its fucking horrible for your body as well as your mind, dulls your mind, it literally starves your brain of oxygen as well as alot of other things, and is literally poison.

I think if you always had pure (well as pure as it gets of course) heroin and it was never cut with anything bad, and if you always were as safe as possible with using and ur ROA, you’d be far healthier than an alcoholic who was trying to be as safe as possible while remaining fucked up alot. if you were fucked up just as hard just as often, and since alcohol you can buy with guaranteed pure ingredients i think its a fair bet.

Last edited: