• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe how many of you can do a short term taper on suboxone

Some people aren't responsive to therapy methods. Many of these people are "too smart for their own good" (hard to explain), and some just don't want to quit.

I think I know what you mean here - during my education I got to sit in on a couple group counseling sessions for 'professionals' (doctors, lawyers, businessmen) and talk to the counselors they work with. Universally addicts rationalize but the really smart addicts are some of the hardest to treat because they intellectually rationalize and are much less responsive to listening to the advice from people they look down on whether it's the people in the field working with them or other addicts in recovery whom they could learn from.

Suboxone probly is GREAT for for the 21 taper method from heroin or whatever. Miles better than methadone(devil drug). But for long term taper, just give it up. PAWS lasted for 2 months after I stopped and I was only on street bupe for 9 months. Get some gabapentin(look on erowid for experiences), tough through it, and save your life from the grips of those damn opiates. Damn bupe screws your brain up with year or longer use, and it will enevr get backt o normal, but maybe just to a non-depression level.

Years late for this conversation but anyway.

I think the key is to take the smallest amount u need and for the shortest time possible. I stepped down off a moderate smoked heroin habit by going on codeine for a few days and then taking one biggish 6mg dose (probably more than I needed - do what I say, not what I do ?).

It?s been nearly three days since that dose, and I?m kind of expecting some WDs to come back soon. If not, I?m a lucky mother fucker, but also may just have found what was right for me.

Long story short, the subs are imo a great tool, but only a step in the right direction. If u really want to quit for good (I?m not actually convinced I do tbh), there is a pretty long road ahead with the PAWS and cravings and shit. But good luck to anyone trying.

Well I can give you my experience in regards to suboxone in general.

I?ve been an I/V H addict for about 9 years now. I first started suboxone maintenance about 3 years ago. I had been kind of forced into detox at the time so I wasn?t mentally ready to become clean. Knowing this, I knew I would relapse straight after detox which I couldn?t afford to do, so I ade an appt to see a sub doctor for the day I was released, been on it ever since. Average dose of 4mg/day.

I?ve never tried a short taper as I didn?t know it was an option at the time. The plan was to straighten my head out, then slowly taper off. I can say that in a nutshell, the only thing suboxone has done for me is keep the withdrawals away.. basically delaying them, I feel mostly normal on the subs. I?ve been lucky and don?t have any bad side effects from them. Only thing I feel is that little glow when I first dose that lasts half the day. It?s definitely given me the ability to stay productive without drug seeking behaviour, but even on the subs you?re prone to relapse as I?ve done it about 4-5 times over the last three years. In retrospect I wish I just stayed off of them, as now I have to worry about tapering. I can tell you that for me, I need to taper SLOWLY, otherwise I feel it and my whole mental state changes. It?s different for everyone though.

Its one of those things where you have to listen to your body. You could try a quick taper for sure. If your body and mind can handle it, great, if not, just don?t rush it, you can always go to your previous dose and slow down the taper. Getting clean isn?t a race, just make sure you listen to your body. Best of luck!

-TheProfessor-