• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How many grams of alcohol are in 1 standard drink?

basix

Bluelighter
Anyone know?

I want to know because of calorie content, but aside from that I think it should be writtten on alcohol bottles simply so people know exactly how much of the drug they are taking.

The Australian Standard Drink

What is a standard drink?

A standard drink is any drink containing 10 grams of alcohol . One standard drink always contains the same amount of alcohol regardless of container size or alcohol type (ie, beer, wine, or spirit).

A standard drink is a unit of measurement. In the same way one metre measures a particular distance travelled, one standard drink measures a particular amount of alcohol consumed

Taken from www.alcohol.gov.au

Hope that helps :)

The definition of "one standard drink" differs from country to country. In the UK, one unit of alcohol is equal to 10ml (just under 10 grams) of ethanol. The guidelines for weekly alcohol consumption in the UK are 21 units for men and 14 units for women, spread throughout the week.

It is easy to work out how many units there are in a drink. Just multiply the volume (in ml) by the alcohol content (in % ) and then divide by 1000.

Hence, one 750ml bottle of 13.5% wine is 750x13.5/1000 = 10.13 units.

And one 330ml bottle of 5% Budweiser beer is 330x5/1000 = 1.65 units.

And one pint (569ml) of 3.8% Black Sheep Bitter is 569x3.8/1000 = 2.16 units.

Hope this helps.

clop

Heh, what the hell. I was told lies at my bar course!
Or am I thinking of a schooner of heavy beer?

Hmmm

Good ol' Smirnoff double black, its been the latest poison for me... 2.1 Standard drinks per can... oooh la la la... drunk in 3-4 cans :D woot

I like to think in terms of moles of alcohol. Here's an interesting fact I've stated before.

1 mole =46.1g or roughly 46ml of ethanol The metabolism (oxidation) of 2 moles of alcohol consumes 2 moles of the co-factor NAD+ which equates to about 1.5kg! Think about this for a moment. A 1 Litre bottle of whisky of 80 proof contains approximately 40% alcohol. That's around 400mL of alcohol.
If 4 people polished off such a bottle, then each would consume ~100mL, nearly 2.5moles, requiring ~1.875kg of NAD+

Now I'm not suggesting anyone go out and drink this sort of quantity, but there are those who do drink such large amounts. When you look at this, and the fact that NAD+ is also required for many other liver and enzyme functions, it's little wonder that liver disease is a often the product of long term excessive consumption.

As NAD+ is also used as a cofactor in other enzymatic processes, and must itself be regenerated from NADH, bioavailability of NAD+ limits the rate of which alcohol can be oxidised. This is ~10mL/ hour for most caucasian adults.

Fructose (fruit sugar) is one of the things that can regenerate NAD+ from NADH. While it's unlikely it will hasten the sobering up process by any appreciable degree, it may help reduce liver damage from excessive consumption.

Edit: Corrected 1.875g to 1.875kg; p_d

Last edited:
phase_dancer said:
Now I'm not suggesting anyone go out and drink this sort of quantity,

250ml of spirits is just over 8 nips, which is 8 standard drinks (in Aus) - or 5 schooners (for Splatt). I'd reckon there wouldn't be many people here on BL who haven't drunk that much in a sitting, at least once.

But of course that would be binge drinking and very bad for you 8) (hell - 5 pots is a binge according to the national guidelines!!)

To the OP - how many calories are in ethanol? Probably the least of your worries. And all alcoholic drinks in Australia ARE labelled with the alcohol content - both as a percentage (by volume) and as standard drinks equivalent...

phase_dancer said:
I like to think in terms of moles of alcohol. Here's an interesting fact I've stated before.

1 mole =46.1g or roughly 46ml of ethanol The metabolism (oxidation) of 2 moles of alcohol consumes 2 moles of the co-factor NAD+ which equates to about 1.5kg! Think about this for a moment. A 1 Litre bottle of whisky of 80 proof contains approximately 40% alcohol. That's around 400mL of alcohol.
If 4 people polished off such a bottle, then each would consume ~100mL, nearly 2.5moles, requiring ~1.875kg of NAD+

Now I'm not suggesting anyone go out and drink this sort of quantity, but there are those who do drink such large amounts. When you look at this, and the fact that NAD+ is also required for many other liver and enzyme functions, it's little wonder that liver disease is a often the product of long term excessive consumption.

As NAD+ is also used as a cofactor in other enzymatic processes, and must itself be regenerated from NADH, bioavailability of NAD+ limits the rate of which alcohol can be oxidised. This is ~10mL/ hour for most caucasian adults.

Fructose (fruit sugar) is one of the things that can regenerate NAD+ from NADH. While it's unlikely it will hasten the sobering up process by any appreciable degree, it may help reduce liver damage from excessive consumption.

Edit: Corrected 1.875g to 1.875kg; p_d

i have come out of lurking to congratulate p_d on a very interesting and enlightening post! i will certainly be restocking my fridge with fruit to hopefully aid my poor liver following future binges:D

Splatt said:
Heh, what the hell. I was told lies at my bar course!
Or am I thinking of a schooner of heavy beer?

this source claims that a schooner of full strength beer contains 1.5 standard drinks. a standard drink contains 10g of alcohol so i suppose it's safe to say that a schooner of full strength beer contains 15g of alcohol.

right. tangent time:

what is misleading is that some people use the terms "pint" and "schooner" interchangably, as seen here. okay guys i am getting a little confused. i just searched a little more and found this on wikipedia. i know i'm off on a tangent but, by god, alcohol is confusing even when you aren't drinking it!

The density of ethanol is 0.789 grams per ml. Water is 1 gram per ml.

In Australia 1 standard drink is 10 grams of ethanol, which is 12.7 ml.

In the UK 1 unit of alcohol is 10 ml of ethanol, which is 7.9 grams.

To work out how many Australian standard drinks (or UK units) there are in an alcoholic drink:

In Australia = (volume in ml x alcohol percentage) / 1270

In the UK = (volume in ml x alcohol percentage) / 1000

clop

I think its bad in australia that calories, suger content etc arnt required to be on the label like other food/beverage products.

An example ive always drank wild turkey and cola premix's. They used to have the all the usual info on the label and i remember there was 30g of suger in one stub! weigh 30 grams of suger and see how much that actually is.

Now in maybe the last 6 months-year they've removed all nutritional info on the label which id like to have a look at again

theyve done that with ciggies aswel. All the info about how many mg of tar/nicotine and all the rest have been replaced with warnings.

whats goin on

Yeah thats bad. But at the same time all the filters changed as well, especially for marlboro, anyone notice this? Marlboro Lites taste fucked now.

Thanks to clop for factoring in density (ethanol = 0.789). I purposely left it out to make the calc easier to understand, although, as can be seen, per gram/ 0.789 equates to more ethanol in mLs than what I referred to e.g. 1 mole = 46.1g = 58.4 ml.