• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long to develop serious liver damage?

OPs level of drinking is likely no problem unless there is hepatitis or some other signifigant stress on the liver.

Regular coffee drinking has been studied as a likely protection against some of the bad liver effects from drinking. Animal studies suggest taurine mitigates some alcohol caused liver pathologies. Moderation and taking breaks periodically is likely the best protection of all.

There are a lot of prescriptions that stress the liver and when taking any of those it is probably a great time for alcohol abstinence.

Coffee won't protect the liver much. Something like milk thistle will give a hell of a lot more protection against hepatoxicity than coffee.

when i turned 19 and legal i was very depressed that year, so i drank everyday 9-12 beers,
ive cut down alot, and when i had a blood test my doctor tested my liver and its perfect

Over 20 years of very heavy drinking (as in hundreds of units a week at points) in combination with fuckloads of drugs (including ones containing high levels of paracetamol - always stay with the 4g daily limit though) and my liver function tests still always come out perfect every time. It will catch up eventually but the levels you mention are a very long way from dangerous. One thing I would say though is that binge drinking is way worse for your liver than regular drinking - even regular heavy drinking. You will likely fuck your liver much sooner drinking heavily once or twice a week rather than steadily throughout the week. Only way your level of drinking would be a problem is if there is liver disease in your family.

also, the liver can completely regenerate up to a certain point, all you have to do is stop drinking and be healthy

^ True dat. You grow an entirely new liver every seven years (sort of) but I wouldn't rely on that cos if it's seriously damaged it will never completely heal. It definitely helps if the damage is not too severe though.

i think if you still have over 1/3rd of your liver undamaged it can regenerate, it might take a long time, but it still will

^just like when we cut our skin, it regenerates.

Sort of.

Persistent damage to the liver causes scar tissue similar to how a cut on skin leaves an abnormal scar.Ability to heal and function will decline as more damage is done and more scar tissue forms.