• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long to develop serious liver damage?

GoreBreath

Greenlighter
I am 20 years old and since I was 16 I have been drinking. from 16 to 19 it was off and on a few times a month at most. Recently (last 6 months) I have had about a six pack about twice a week. At this rate should I be worried?

No, i dont think so. Thats not a massive amount of alcohol you're consuming.

Are you worried?

Two six packs a week is just over a beer a day.

I highly doubt you'll have any problems so long as you're as conservative as you are.

No, i dont think so. Thats not a massive amount of alcohol you're consuming.

Are you worried?

No, but cirrhosis sounds like the worst way to die. I'd hate to die slow relying on my family to get me through each moment.

I should have also mentioned that since I was about 17 I did a lot of methadone and xanax while drinking massive amounts, but the times I did that shit were spread out. Like I'd get real fucked up for 2 or 3 days then not do anything for a month then repeat.
From what I have read though a s long as I had given myself recovery time my liver would have been okay allowing me to drink at the rate I am drinking now.
Am I right?

Two six packs a week is just over a beer a day.

I highly doubt you'll have any problems so long as you're as conservative as you are.
Not two six packs over the course of a week I'll drink a six pack or two like in one day then not drink for the rest of the week.

Takes a long time..Hell I was taking like 30 norcos a day for 2 years with all that acetaminophen in it and after I quit I had my Dr. test my liver cuz i thought it was fucked and everything came out 100%.

Alrighht just makin sure. Thanks for the input all. I'd just hate to go out because of fucking beer. Shits not even that fun.

Just in case, I would try to eat healthily, take some vitamin and mineral supplements (esp B vitamins), and exercise, if any of these things are easy and enjoyable for u. I read that many alcoholics suffer due to malnourishment and vitamin deficiencies (esp Bs). Sorry I don't have a source.

Takes a long time..Hell I was taking like 30 norcos a day for 2 years with all that acetaminophen in it and after I quit I had my Dr. test my liver cuz i thought it was fucked and everything came out 100%.

i also stupidly have consumed a shitload of acetaminophen over time. I went to the doctors, and after my bloodtest i few of my liver enzymes were higher than usual and i got asked if i drink alot, to which i just said yeah(because i didnt want to discuss the actual cause, the doctor wasnt even alarmed and just said these levels are slightly elevated, but just slow right down on your drinking and everything will sort itself out.

And luckily it did.

But yeah OP you're being mad paranoid man.

i wonder how my livers health is atm... lol

i drink a truckload more, and consume 'c' at least 6 days a week...

Been doing that for a year now, im 30, and i feel ok.

wuhahahah

at this current rate, you're fine.
i think i can safely say you aren't an alcoholic or a drunk.
as long as you keep giving your liver recovery time- like you were told- you'll be fine.

my grandpa's girlfriend recently died from cirrhosis, but she was an everyday drinker at quantities massively higher than yours, and this was over yeeeeaaaaarrrrrrrrssss of abuse.

in the event you feel your drinking is getting out of hand or you feel that you are becoming dependent on it, get help right away. but if you continue at the rate you are, you are in the clear :)

your liver should be ok with that level of consumption, the danger is that you will eventually start caring less and drinking more.

I've always found alcohol to be a shitty recreational drug compared to pretty much EVERY OTHER DRUG lol. I drink occasionally but it's only on the odd occasion. The hangover is often pretty bad for me.

I've always found alcohol to be a shitty recreational drug compared to pretty much EVERY OTHER DRUG lol. I drink occasionally but it's only on the odd occasion. The hangover is often pretty bad for me.

I ussually don't have hangovers but I agree, booze are just boring.

My friend has been having two bottles of vodka for god knows how long (I've known him for two years and he's been doing it te whole time) and his liver is fine. That (relatively) miniscule amount isn't going to do shit to your liver LOL.

i agree with the other guy when he turns 21 he can buy it legaly he could get into trouble then

sure he could, but that goes without saying for just about everyone. for me personally, once i turned 21 i actually had less of a desire to drink. it was more "dangerous" when i was underage going to parties and stuff, it felt more "bad ass" i guess? i started drinking when i was fifteen so by the time my 21st birthday rolled around i could drink like a fish due to the fact i was constantly partying. it just wasn't as appealing to me once it became legal. now, i'm twenty-three and a single beer will have me buzzing pretty good with my once-every-blue-moon drinking schedule. however, that is just my experience. there's always the potential for things to start turning sour with a descent into alcoholism once an individual reaches that long anticipated age. for most though, heavy binge drinking comes and goes as only a phase and the majority of us end up okay. but like i said, the potential is always there.

the good thing is he has already given this some thought and worry. most of us at that age are too naive//irresponsible to even consider the possibility. since the OP has taken the time to educate himself on the matter early on, the odds are now in his favor if he continues to be cautious.

i meant that was the danger, not that it would automatically happen. sorry for bad wording.

See above.
(And no apologies necessary :))
Since most of the replies to this thread were solely focused on reassuring the OP that he will be fine, it's good that you brought up this possibility. the more aware the OP is about all of the potential outcomes, including the negative and how he could get there, is going to help him out more than just not mentioning it.