• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos How long to be physically dependent on Diazepam?

PillPopper570

Bluelighter
Hi,
I have been taking 10mg of Diazepam a day (except 20mg on a couple of days) for 13 days. I’m looking for opinions/advice from anyone who knows about this kind of thing. my question is this: will I already be physically dependent on Diazepam and need to do a taper or risk getting withdrawals If I stop? Any advice would be really appreciated I’ve got myself in a jam and am worrying.

It’s different for every person. At two weeks tho, that’s probably the grey area. I would wean off rather than abruptly stop. Take 5 mg for a week then 2.5 for a week then stop. Or. You can test yourself out and see if you are physically addicted or not. Try to stop, but if you start feeling really anxious/agitated/Shakey/etc take your dose and do the wean. You can try taking gabapenton during withdrawal. It’s an anticonvulsant and it works on the same neurotransmitter as benzo but is safer.

as above, two weeks is generally when I'd say a habit starts to turn into a dependence

before or at two weeks you can stop taking it and generally feel fine, might have some rebound anxiety.... but after two weeks of continuous use you are certainly going to feel some physical dependence which gets worse every day

the good thing about diazepam is it's the easiest benzo to quit based on its half life... they give you diazepam to quit other benzos if you're addicted.

good for you for being aware of it

I would stop now, stop taking it every day at least, while you're ahead.

benzo dependence is sheer fucking hell, worse than heroin in bad cases. Good luck brother.

as above, two weeks is generally when I'd say a habit starts to turn into a dependence

before or at two weeks you can stop taking it and generally feel fine, might have some rebound anxiety.... but after two weeks of continuous use you are certainly going to feel some physical dependence which gets worse every day

the good thing about diazepam is it's the easiest benzo to quit based on its half life... they give you diazepam to quit other benzos if you're addicted.

good for you for being aware of it

I would stop now, stop taking it every day at least, while you're ahead.

benzo dependence is sheer fucking hell, worse than heroin in bad cases. Good luck brother.
Thanks for your advice brother it’s really appreciated. Do you think I should taper or just stop?

Always and after such a short time I'd advocate just stop and bite the bullet (if any) for a day or two. And if you're serious: ditch your stock. Maybe keep one or two just in case (and you can halve them and quarter them quarter them if needs be and if you just need to take off the slight edge that you may experience). As long as you have excess stock: it'll never be over. And I'm well qualified and experienced enough to be able to make these statements.

Always and after such a short time I'd advocate just stop and bite the bullet (if any) for a day or two. And if you're serious: ditch your stock. Maybe keep one or two just in case (and you can halve them and quarter them quarter them if needs be and if you just need to take off the slight edge that you may experience). As long as you have excess stock: it'll never be over. And I'm well qualified and experienced enough to be able to make these statements.
I think your correct 100%. So long as I have tablets it will go on and on into infinity. I have an addictive personality so it’s a very slippery slope and I recognise that. I’ll stop and keep enough tablets (as a contingency) to do a short taper of 3 days of 5mg and 3 days of 2.5mg. I’ll see if I can get through it without taking any more tablets but if I have symptoms that are severe I’ll do the short taper. I’ll keep 3 tablets and throw the rest. Thanks for your reply mate. Also thanks to everyone else for your input it is very much appreciated.

I think your correct 100%. So long as I have tablets it will go on and on into infinity. I have an addictive personality so it’s a very slippery slope and I recognise that. I’ll stop and keep enough tablets (as a contingency) to do a short taper of 3 days of 5mg and 3 days of 2.5mg. I’ll see if I can get through it without taking any more tablets but if I have symptoms that are severe I’ll do the short taper. I’ll keep 3 tablets and throw the rest. Thanks for your reply mate. Also thanks to everyone else for your input it is very much appreciated.
Good thinking. Apologies for what be could considered a curt or harsh response. Not my usual style. Sorry. Having an off day for some reason is all. But if you look around a bit: you’ll see I have had my own run in with these things and a pretty serious one in fact some years ago i.e. an unintended and unknown physical dependence due to over prescription. I think Benzodiazepines are the greatest thing since slice cheese when not used recreationally and serve their purpose and well too so I will always support their use and manufacture. Since then have spent years studying every nuance about them because they became a source of fascination for me from a pharmacological point of view. But they can have a very destructive downside is all. But I think you get where I was coming from. On your side and holding thumbs for you. :)

Last edited:
Good thinking. Apologies for what be could considered a curt or harsh response. Not my usual style. Sorry. Having an off day for some reason is all. But if you look around a bit: you’ll see I have had my own run in with these things and a pretty serious one in fact some years ago i.e. an unintended and unknown physical dependence due to over prescription. I think Benzodiazepines are the greatest thing since slice cheese when not used recreationally and serve their purpose and well too so I will always support their use and manufacture. Since then have spent years studying every nuance about them because they became a source of fascination for me from a pharmacological point of view. But they can have a very destructive downside is all. But I think you get where I was coming from. On your side and holding thumbs for you. :)
Your ok I wasn’t offended at all. I know how destructive Diazepam can be. I live in Glasgow which is the drug deaths capital of Europe and its mainly because of Diazepam. There is an epidemic of Diazepam addiction and deaths up here which the press call “the blue plague”. It’s become a major problem for the Scottish government. At least it was until COVID superseded it. Anyway thanks for your words of support. Pharmacology and the action of drugs is a fascinating topic. I wish I knew more but I have learned a bit about particular classes of drug. I need to do more reading on it.

This is a fairly common question. People are always curious to know where that proverbial line actually lies. It is going to be different for every person.

A couple of weeks of consistent usage could easily lead to rebound effects. You won't likely develop a severe, life-threatening dependency without at least a few months of consistent usage.

When people ask this question, they are often in a little bit of denial regarding where there life is going. At some point, these decisions become less and less "intentional". You have to consider why you're asking this question. It is probably because you realize your are developing an addiction. You are not likely to realize when you've crossed that line until after you've passed it.

This is a fairly common question. People are always curious to know where that proverbial line actually lies. It is going to be different for every person.

A couple of weeks of consistent usage could easily lead to rebound effects. You won't likely develop a severe, life-threatening dependency without at least a few months of consistent usage.

When people ask this question, they are often in a little bit of denial regarding where there life is going. At some point, these decisions become less and less "intentional". You have to consider why you're asking this question. It is probably because you realize your are developing an addiction. You are not likely to realize when you've crossed that line until after you've passed it.
Wise words which I identify with. I have been addicted to other substances before and it’s very easy to slide down that slope into the rabbit hole. So when you say rebound effects do you mean rebound anxiety? I am in a bad spot in my life currently and for some reason took the Diaz night after night when I didn’t plan to and knew it wasn’t sensible. I’ve used it here and there before and had discipline but not this time. I think it may be best I do a short taper so I’m not climbing the walls with anxiety.

10 mg is a very low dose you shouldn’t need any sort of taper and honestly any discomfort will likely all be mental. Stop now before it’s too late

I will stop I don’t want this to drag on. Honestly I don’t. I just wanted enough information to make sure I would be safe coming off it.