• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long should a Tramadol taper be if taken for 3 months. And how should I taper?

Gordon

Bluelighter
I started Tramadol back in January for knee pain. My doses are around 200-250mgs. I did once take the trams for 2 months and quit at 100mgs with minimum withdrawals, not pshycally anyway, but since I've been on trams since late January at 200-250mgs am wondering how long roughly should a tram taper be. Am thinking perhaps 1 week and a half? should I drop by 1 50mg pill or half?

if anybody has short-term tram experiece at those doses I would appreciate that.

Should I go cold turkey?

thanks guys!

Tramadol never bothered me by quitting abruptly. Then again, I've never taken it more than 2 straight months, & would take 100mgs at a time 3 times a day.

Then I cut it down to 150mgs of tramadol but added 5mgs of Valium because I never liked the speediness of tramadol.

If you will be taking something else like vicodin or codeine while you're quitting tramadol, it will go smooth.

Thanks man!

My concern is the SRI-withdrawal and affects, I can't say I've ever experienced them, then again I've never taken tramadol for more then 2 months! However I am on bup 2mgs, but I do not know how well that will help the SRI effects.

I do not know if I should taper, if so how I should taper. Am thinking perhaps cut by 1 pill a day until I get to 0 25mgs? is that too fast?

thanks again folks!

Okay first questions first... In order to recommend a taper plan, we need to know a little bit more.

1) In total, how many mg's of Tramadol do you have left?
2) What mg are your Tramadol pills and are they instant release or slow release?
2) Are you able to obtain more if need be, would this be possible?
3) Do you have any access to benzodiazepines?

Hi, thanks for offering to help!

Currently I am on 200mgs as of today, was taking 250mgs, I cut by 1 pill.

I have around 50 capsules left - basically if I was to taper by 1 pill every 3 days thats the amount of I have left, or even half a pill every 3 days. The yellow/green ones.

I have instant release 50mgs pills/capsules (I think-they are Actavis) but I can always empty half out to other spare capsules I have, if I was to cut by half of quarter.

I believe I can get access to more Tramadol as my Father gets them from his GP, he gives 100 caps every month, so I think he'll do same again, but like I said I have a decent amount of supply which I hope will be enough to taper with-if I was to taper every 3 days by 1 cap or half a cap. I hope I don't need more then the trams I have left nor need longer then tapering every 3 days considering I've been taking them for only 3 months, and never over 250mgs.

I have access to klonopin, few valiums/apaurin, gapapentin, zopiclone, temazepam, amitritpyline, clonidine and others, but I was saving some of these for my bup jump. I do have around 70 klonipin tablets in 2mgs, which I can cut in half or quarters, so that can serve me well for both bup and tramadol jump.

I was told that if you've only been taking tramadol for 3 months at 250mgs then all you need at the most is a 2 week taper or even cold-turkey, that is why I wanted people's opinion and experience in this situation. I don't know if I should taper by a pill everyday till 50mg or taper just for few days/week & then go just jump off. Like I said previously in the past I did use trams for 2 months straight and quit without a taper and did not have any issues.
T
Thanks for your help, if you can add anything or give me a schedule it will help me, I've never tapered tramadol before and when it comes to withdrawals I can usually cope well because for one I do not go through hardcore withdrawal regularly and secondly it's usually over in 1 or 2 days, even when I was on bup for 8 years I got off pretty lightly compared to many others, so am hoping the trams won't be so exhularating, but again I've never been through SRI withdrawals before as I've never taken anti-depressants.

P.S I excercise daily i.e. cardio, soccer/football etc so am pretty sure that helps, aswell as my diet which includes lot of veggies and fruits. Oh am 35 years old.

By the way how long to trams stay in your system? basically when do the withdrawals set in? for a 3 month user if they cold-turkeyed for example?

cheers!

Last edited: