• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long it takes to get rid of Effexor from your system?

Mrokotek

Greenlighter
Hi, at first I'm sorry if that's not the right place for this topic...
So. I am on Effexor (Venlafaxine) from two or three months, I've gradually reached the dose of 150mg about a months ago. Before I have been on Citalopram and then Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for two years.
As I lost all the hope for the antidepressant treatment I finally decided to try out LSD to help with my depression, inspired by some sort of research and by doing some of my own research on the web. I would like to take it as soon as I know I that Venlofaxine is out of my system so the LSD can work, as I don't have much money to waste right now 8)(I've read that people who are taking Venlafaxine barely feel any effects from LSD).
So, any clues after how many days I can be considered Venlofaxine-free?
Also, would be good to know how likely are withdrawal symptoms to occur, as I guess they are less likely as I've on that thing only for two months? I'm quitting cold turkey and I'm very afraid of them 8o

Any help welcome, cheers!

edit: Also, does anyone know a good benzo from RC market to help with the withdrawal syndromes? I currently experience diarrhoea, vomiting my stomach out (can't even keep fluids) and, of course, hysteric crying...

Last edited:
Jesus, I've heard so many horror stories in regards to this substance. Unfortunately we can't help you source anything. It is against the rules. But it's easy as pie, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you go to the ER, they can give you some ondansetron (Zofran), it works like magic in curbing nausea/emesis. Loperamide is the obvious choice for control of the diarrhea. They give this shit to people without any mention of the withdrawal syndrome, which I find appalling. I've never been through it personally, but from what I've read, the withdrawal can be every bit as terrible as withdrawal from hard drugs or sedatives (ethanol, benzos, barbs). My grandmother was prescribed it. Can you imagine your Gran going through withdrawal? It's heart-wrenching.

The ER can potentially give you some benzodiazepines for which it seems you have a very-real need. I would recommend going to the ER, or better yet, your primary care doctor/psychiatrist. May I ask if you were informed of the likelihood of withdrawal symptoms when you were initially inducted?

Most venlafaxine should be washed out in about 4-5 days of discontinuation. Your body may need longer than that to adjust to the lack of SNRI in your system though.

Benzodiazepines may seem like a good idea but taking them in such a state will almost assuredly lead to dependence problems.

Jesus, I've heard so many horror stories in regards to this substance. Unfortunately we can't help you source anything. It is against the rules.
Apologies, now I see I wasn't thinking very clearly while asking that question. Won't happen again, silly me :p
If you go to the ER, they can give you some ondansetron (Zofran), it works like magic in curbing nausea/emesis. Loperamide is the obvious choice for control of the diarrhea. They give this shit to people without any mention of the withdrawal syndrome, which I find appalling.

I went to the ER yesterday because I have been vomiting and feeling dizzy all day and couldn't even keep water on me, but guess what! They said is was some stomach bug and will get better. They only things they gave me were anti-vomiting medication and... paracetamol! They give paracetamol for EVERYTHING in Wales! Not to mention they did not give me any drip for dehydration which in my home country, Poland, is the first thing you do even when there is no emergency just slight dehydration. I'm so disappointed with British healthcare! And it was the doctor who was seeing me last year at emergency after my suicide attempt, pff! (he didn't ask why I am going off and why I have also went of my antipsychotics despite that I told someone in the ER, can't remember who, that I've run out of them!).
The best part: when he discharged me I asked him if my symptoms are not due to withdrawal, and he asked 'withdrawal of what?'. Epic. However he was partly right - It was a really big coincidence and my very bad luck - I probably had a food (gluten) poisoning as well due my stupidity. I was too focused on the fact that I am withdrawing and I still feel my upset tummy. It's my bad luck: when is rains, if pours as it comes to me :<.

I'm so sorry for complaining so much and producing such a long post, but I'm so furious!

Anyway, I took my whole dose today and will start taking half a dose tomorrow.

I've never been through it personally, but from what I've read, the withdrawal can be every bit as terrible as withdrawal from hard drugs or sedatives (ethanol, benzos, barbs). My grandmother was prescribed it. Can you imagine your Gran going through withdrawal? It's heart-wrenching.
That must have been horrible for both of you, I hope she's all right now, wishing her all the best!

The ER can potentially give you some benzodiazepines for which it seems you have a very-real need. I would recommend going to the ER, or better yet, your primary care doctor/psychiatrist. May I ask if you were informed of the likelihood of withdrawal symptoms when you were initially inducted?
No, I have not been warned, but I done my research earlier and I was in a state I really didn't bother. I didn't see any reason to withdraw late, stupid me. They did not give any benzo, luckily I have my last last zopiclones. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Wednesday I think, must check with the surgery.

Most venlafaxine should be washed out in about 4-5 days of discontinuation. Your body may need longer than that to adjust to the lack of SNRI in your system though.

Benzodiazepines may seem like a good idea but taking them in such a state will almost assuredly lead to dependence problems.
Thank, this means it leaves the body quicker than I thought.
You're right about benzos, especially as they're very tempting for me. I hope my withdrawal won't be so bad - I can't stop wondering which part of it will be worse - physical or psychological... I'm freaking out.

I want to be venlafaxine-free by 18th June as this is when I plan to take LSD - any clues how my withdrawal plan should look like?

Thank you guys for all your help and support!

Last edited:
After speaking to my GP, the worst thing you can do is stop taking a SNRI such as Venlafaxine suddenly.
It's a taper down under the supervision of your doctor.
It really doesn't have anything to do with LSD, depending on the source...
Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors have nothing to do with the substance your inferring to.
I'm not quite sure the pathway of LSD; but it's so outlandish there is no way (that I know) SSRI's or SNRI's will interfere with your trip.
Both the later substances are prescribed not to interfere with LSD.
LSD will give you another perspective; but it's a fine line between heaven and hell; like walking on a razor's edge.
If your absolutely sure; have a plan of action.
Go to a museum in the morning, get some DVD's beforehand; it'll last 24 hours so please have a plan of action; be around friends...
Set and setting.

http://www.rxlist.com/effexor-drug/clinical-pharmacology.htm

Link to website discussing the half-life of this drug.

Don't get me confused, though, I'm not saying that once it's out of your system, that you'll feel better. It's just then your brain will begin to repair much quicker and easier.

But, I fear giving advice on stopping something like this because I don't have experience and it can be a dangerous path.