• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How long does IV buprenorphine take to kick in?

NeoLid

Bluelighter
I usually snort my subs, but decided to to try iv. I did 9mg (15mg snorted is my usual dose) its been about 20 minutes and im barely feeling anything. I read somewhere even IVed it can take up to an hour to kick in. So did I just fuck up my shot or is it gonna kick in a bit. Ill find out soon.

But my real question is if it does take an hour to kick in why is that, isnt iv supposed kick in within a few seconds for any drug?

3 mins at most. It can take up to 30mins for full effect, but you feel it quickly

I dunno about bupe, I've never IVed bupe. Actually I've never taken bupe for maintainence therapy at all, just methadone. But with any other drug I've IVed the results have always been immediate. Maybe a couple seconds delay at most.

~ 1-3 minutes, please please please don't use such a high dose. Sometimes quicker? Been so many years.

If you're truly in withdrawal the first dose might not be felt, a second one is kind of necessary (or "double up" but I was not accustomed to doing that; hindsight is always 20/20); at the time my doses were < 1mg.

Captain H. When you were using doses of less than 1mg, did you find euphoria with these doses, even with daily dosing? I remember your bupe taper with low IV doses.
Was this because you got pleasant effects daily, or did you just have trouble giving up the needle?
Currently on 80mg methadone daily and the positive effects have finally run their course after about a year.
I'm considering reducing and going on subutex, not IV, but on a low dose, as I've heard this can be more effective for pain (both physical and imagined).
Cheers!

When I shoot subutex, I feel a rush within 10 seconds. When I shoot Suboxone, I get no rush, and don't feel any effects for about 10mins. I don't care what anyone says about the naloxone argument in Suboxone, whether the bupe affinity is higher then naloxone or not, the naloxone sure as fuck still impacts the effects of Suboxone. No it's not a placebo, I been a hard core drug addict for twenty years..it sounds real good saying naloxone is just a deterrent in Suboxone to make addicts think twice before shooting , or that it's patented or whatever.

But yes, iv bupe kicks in pretty fast

When I shoot subutex, I feel a rush within 10 seconds. When I shoot Suboxone, I get no rush, and don't feel any effects for about 10mins. I don't care what anyone says about the naloxone argument in Suboxone, whether the bupe affinity is higher then naloxone or not, the naloxone sure as fuck still impacts the effects of Suboxone. No it's not a placebo, I been a hard core drug addict for twenty years..it sounds real good saying naloxone is just a deterrent in Suboxone to make addicts think twice before shooting , or that it's patented or whatever.

But yes, iv bupe kicks in pretty fast

Interesting. I wonder what the pharmacological reason is.

I believe you, I just wonder what the explanation is. Far as we know bupe does have a much higher binding affinity, it's strange.

It's also strange how widespread people who have done it like me, all agree and feel the same way, kind of funny how Subutex prices on my area are higher then Suboxone prices... I guess I must be some special human with special powers.

jessFR- are you speaking from personal experience? Or are you just reading book smarts? Because you can ask any other human being that uses buprenorphine. Wait I suppose now is the time where you are going to say how an addicts mind and placebo is such a power thing? 20yrs of drug use i think I know what is real and what is not. I don't mean to come off like an asshole, but I knew this debate would come up the second I mentioned it. That's my half a penny

All I'm saying simply is, there is a difference in effect between IV suboxone and IV subutex . I'm not going to get in a full fledged scientific debate and summarize theories. I know a lot of people would agree with me and I'm sure other people would disagree with me. At this being said I'm dropping out of the race

It's also strange how widespread people who have done it like me, all agree and feel the same way, kind of funny how Subutex prices on my area are higher then Suboxone prices... I guess I must be some special human with special powers.

jessFR- are you speaking from personal experience? Or are you just reading book smarts? Because you can ask any other human being that uses buprenorphine. Wait I suppose now is the time where you are going to say how an addicts mind and placebo is such a power thing? 20yrs of drug use i think I know what is real and what is not. I don't mean to come off like an asshole, but I knew this debate would come up the second I mentioned it. That's my half a penny

I've never used bupe. The only opioid maintainence I've been on is methadone.

I'm not trying to debate anything. I believe you that what you're experiencing is real and not simply in your head. I'm just wondering aloud what the pharmacological reason for it is.

Bupe should have a much higher binding affinity than naloxone. From that you would think that naloxone wouldn't noticeably impact the effects of the buprenorphine.

But it sounds like somehow it does. I just wonder why it does.

Not having experienced it, admitidly I can't say for sure that what you're experiencing is real and not placebo. But I tend to think it's probably real.

I've seen situations with drugs where the reality has seemed at odds with what you'd logically assume before. I think it means our understanding is incomplete.

So yeah, other people might be arguing that what you're experiencing is placebo, but I'm not. Im inclined to believe you that what you're experiencing is real and not all in your head.

I've never used bupe. The only opioid maintainence I've been on is methadone.

I'm not trying to debate anything. I believe you that what you're experiencing is real and not simply in your head. I'm just wondering aloud what the pharmacological reason for it is.

Bupe should have a much higher binding affinity than naloxone. From that you would think that naloxone wouldn't noticeably impact the effects of the buprenorphine.

But it sounds like somehow it does. I just wonder why it does.

Not having experienced it, admitidly I can't say for sure that what you're experiencing is real and not placebo. But I tend to think it's probably real.

I've seen situations with drugs where the reality has seemed at odds with what you'd logically assume before. I think it means our understanding is incomplete.

So yeah, other people might be arguing that what you're experiencing is placebo, but I'm not. Im inclined to believe you that what you're experiencing is real and not all in your head.
I'm pretty sure the reason Suboxone has less effect than Subutex is because the naloxone croses the blood brain barrier much faster than the bupe so the it's already there before the bupe even shows up and now the bupe has to compete with the naloxone for it's place at the receptor site vs Subutex in which there is no competition and the bupe can readily attach to the receptor unobstructed

plus i don't think affinity necessarily means that the stronger affinity will always beat out the weaker one, it's more of a probability thing

think like in DnD you both roll a D20 but the naloxone gets a +1 to there roll while bupe gets a +5 so while bupe might win out most of the time, every few round that naloxone will squeak out a victory