• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long does a single phased dose of oxycontin last?

eclaire15

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I have a question that I've been trying to find an answer to but can't seem to find the answer. I've been wondering how long a single phased dose of long acting oxycontin lasts? For example, If the pill is 15 mg, assuming it releases half of it (7.5mg) in 1 hour (or however many hours it takes), does that mean that single 7.5mg phased dose will last for 12 hours? Or does it only last for 4 hours like short acting oxycodone? I've always assumed that each phased dose it releases only lasts for 4 hours, but I wanted to make sure. Please let me know, thank you.

When taken whole, sustained/controlled release drugs are supposed to release evenly over a certain timespan. Oxycontin, depending on metabolism, is usually absorbed completely in 8-12hrs. So you would get approximately 1.875mg/hr for 8 hours or 1.25mg/hr for 12 hours from a 15mg oxycontin tablet that is not broken or crushed.

When taken whole, sustained/controlled release drugs are supposed to release evenly over a certain timespan. Oxycontin, depending on metabolism, is usually absorbed completely in 8-12hrs. So you would get approximately 1.875mg/hr for 8 hours or 1.25mg/hr for 12 hours from a 15mg oxycontin tablet that is not broken or crushed.

^^this...but to elaborate....it also "stacks.". If in the first hour, 1.25 mg. is released, the second hour, 1.25 mg., and so on, at the end of a 4 hour period this would result in you having 5mg. total on your system. The average is 4-6 hours for metabolization (legnth of effect, not half-life), but if we use 4 hours for our example, that means you have :

Hr 1 - 1.25mg.

Hr.2 - 2.50mg.

Hr.3 - 3.75mg.

Hr.4 - 5.00 mg.

Hr.5- the initial 1.25 mg. from Hr. 1 is metabolized but you're adding 1.25 mg. during hr. 5 so your level l of 5mg. is maintained.

6 - 5.00

7 - 5.00

8 - 5.00

9 - 5.00

10 - 3.75

11 - 2.50

12 - 1.25

13 - 0
This is why some doctors (the few with a clue lol) will prescribe a "12-hr." extended release med. to be taken every 8 hours. This helps maintain an even level of med in your system, opposed to the fluctuating levels that result from this phenomenon. The extended release doesn't actually release for the full 12 hours, it just has an approximate 12- hour duration of effect. Metabolism and other factors play a role but that is the theory behind it at least. If it's closer to the 6 hour duration, the same rule still applies, the numbers just change slightly. The numbers aren't accurate, it is just an abstract description of how it works. I know the amounts would be different had i done the actual calculations, I'm just too high to bother doing it right now ;) you get the idea though. :8

Last edited: