• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How Long After Benzos Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol?

Lexx23

Bluelighter
I'm aware that this combination can be dangerous. I'm also aware that klonopin and xanax have very long half-lives. However, I am scripted 3 mg klonopin and 2 mg xanax daily.

The doctor said that drinking on the pills can magnify a drink by three or four. He told me point blank that it was safe to drink alcohol six to eight hours after the klonopin and three to four hours after the xanax. Following this, I haven't run into any trouble waiting about six hours and drinking. In fact, I don't really notice a difference, maybe even affected by the alcohol less. The pills also eliminate hangovers the next day.

So why is this often described as so dangerous but my doctor and personal experience clearly point to six hours or so being perfectly harmless?

I think what is described as "reckless" is when both of these are taken at the exact same time, as they both are CNS depressants and can slow the respiratory system.

Drinking alcohol several hours after taking a benzo, especially in a person regularly taking them, should not be any type of problem. You know your body best and if you are responding to alcohol without passing out, you should be okay. In fact, if it is preventing worse hangovers than it actually doesn't sound too bad.

Whatever you do with alcohol and benzos, just take it slow to see how you respond.

If you have a tolerance and only drink a few beer several hours after taking the benzos, I don't see a problem.
But if you have no tolerance, take a massive amount of benzos and drink even just 1-2 beer you will most likely black out and in the worst case respiratory depression will increase enough to kill you.