• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines How is the DMT/harmaline not destroyed during the boiling/reduction of ayauasca?

earthboundbliss

Bluelighter
A couple weeks from now, I'll be making some a brew with mimosa bark and Syrian rue; it'll be my first time.
Given how delicate and unstable triptamines are, how are these molecules not completely obliterated by the long cooking process? Because, from what I understand, you gotta keep it simmering for 12+ hours.
Thanks in advance

Beta-Carbolines are fairly stable, and so is DMT, and all other tryptamines, so I don't know where you got that instability part from.

Ayahuasca is definitely strong so be well prepared, try also to not use too much water since that makes the nausea a lot work, eat the syrian rue 15 minutes before, etc, etc, did some just 2 weeks ago

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine has a boiling poit of 160 degrees C. Water boils at 100.
no it doesn't

thats at 0.6 tor ie under very high vacuum.

try around 300 C

psylocibin and psylocin self condense at temperature due to the 4 hydroxyl group on the benzene in the indole.

dmt has no substitution on the benzene ring so it does not self condense but if you try and distill it

at atmospheric pressure it will polymerize to a nasty tar that will have you crying for your glass.

no it doesn't

try around 300 C

psylocibin and psylocin self condense at temperature due to the 4 hydroxyl group on the benzene in the indole.

dmt has no substitution on the benzene ring so it does not self condense but if you try and distill it

at atmospheric pressure it will polymerize to a nasty tar that will have you crying for your glass.
freebase DMT I believe does have a boiling point around 150, maybe even lower, salts are a different matter

Boiling point160 °C (320 °F) @ 0.6 Torr (80 Pa)[1]
also reported as
80–135 °C (176–275 °F) @ 0.03 Torr (4.0 Pa)[2]

good luck with the salt I recon you would get pyrolisis first ie cracking of the compound.

atmospheric pressure is 760 tor or mmHg.

the easiest way to get a rough idea of what this means is with what is called a

pressure temperature nomograph.

here is one from our beloved sigma aldrich

as you can see the nomograph bottoms out for water in this table

as it only goes to 0C

so water is boiling well under 0C at 0.6 tor

at a guess I would say about -75C too -50C

I am sorry I should have expected people not to understand this and should have

given reference

please forgive my assumptions.

Last edited:
on a side note:

all of the ketones and freebases for the amphetamine family must be distilled under vacuum too.

with the exception of p2p but that comes out still slightly burnt if done at 760 tor

all tryptamines need to be distilled under vac as well.

there are a lot of compounds that need to be distilled under vacuum.

GBL

most of the precursors for benzo's

THC and CBD (wow the vac must be so low for these its a real head ache for the guys on future4200.com)

and so on.

remember we boil something to distill it and smoking is not boiling.

steam distillation is another thing altogether and to be honest most chemists would rather go

via vacuum as its fucken heaps quicker and you don't have to solvent extract the distillate.

no it doesn't

try around 300 C

You are right, my mistake. 160 C at 0.6 torr is 375 C (707 F) at normal atmospheric pressure.