• Bar GraphicOpen Late Graphic

🍸🍻 The Lounge 🍻🍸

Welcome Guest!

Forum GuidelinesBluelight Rules
  • Lounge Moderators: D's | mal3volent | tubgirl.jpg | BehindtheShadow
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Harm Reduction How hooked are you on the idea of using recreational drugs?

Asante

Bluelighter
When I was a kid, huffing ether was just the thing

Then came

Weed

Trips

Empathogens

and finally:

Dissociatives.

I wanted to quit my MXE, but when quitting it and seeing the benefits upon my life, that continue increasing even now, 2 years later, I quit more and more drugs, even coffee and the occasional beer, until no recreational drugs remained, except of a cup of cacao in the morning, which doesnt stim me like coffee or tea did.

I discovered, looking back, that apart from the substances I used, I was very sold on the idea of using recreational drug and getting high.

It was the coaster on which i parked whatever went down the hatch

Hooked on the idea of getting high.

I did away with that, I'm hooked on the idea of being sober instead.

How hooked are you on the idea of using recreational drugs?

Could you imagine that there may be a point that you decide you don't want to get high on any drug anymore for any reason?

What would bring that about?

For me it was my spirit guide, straight up telling me that a pandemic was coming and the world needed me sober, and inviting me to the trip of quitting drugs.
I took the invitation and I'm so glad I did. Dissociatives had undermined me in many ways and narrowed my circle. Now, it expandsd instead.

What would do it for you?

VerbalTruist

Moderator: H&R, MH, DC
Staff member
It was something that got my interest when the DARE cop wouldn’t tell me if weed, pot, marijuana, and cannabis were all the same thing. Dude blew me off thinking I was fucking around.

telepathetic

Bluelighter
Yeah, I've been obsessed my entire life. My AIM nickname was angeldusted when I was 12 and 13 and I've still never tried pcp

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
I believed DARE as I suppose I was very impressionable and had no reason to doubt it (was the oldest child, parents are straightedged, had no friends who were into drugs, etc). Then at age 16 I made a friend who was into partying and smoking weed and tripping. By age 17 I decided to try smoking weed and drinking and absolutely loved it. Became obsessed immediately, tripped and rolled at age 18, then everything else. I have made attempts to stop everything and have stopped some things and need to stop opiates (again). However altering my consciousness does and always will fascinate me. I don't see myself ever quitting psychedelics. There is no reason to, as they enrich my life in a real way I can measure, and cause me no problems (anymore - I did abuse them for a time when I was much younger).

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
Most people I know who use drugs say DARE made them want to try drugs. Not me. I guess all I heard was "it can kill you the first time and make you commit crimes", not "it makes you feel euphoria". I won an award in DARE class for writing the best anti-drug poem and I read it in front of the school. I was quite proud of myself.

Asante

Bluelighter

Almost 50. There was no peer group to act as my cheer group, I found out in an encyclopedia that ether was used as an anesthetic and has seen extensive recreational use, and you could but it at the druggist at that point so I put 2 and 2 together.
It was between me and God <3

I've quit cigarettes, I quit weed, poppy tea, MDMA, RC stimulants, dissociatives, steroids, coffee, alcohol to name the most addictive ones.

Using a drug is a paradigm. If you induce a paradigm shift, you're under the paradigm of not using.

The UltimateFixx

Bluelighter
I don't wanna be under the influence of anything ALL THE TIME like I used to. As a way of life it sort of got pointless (not to mention rather self - destructive).
You don't even feel it that much anymore and I compare it to having your favourite food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At some point it would start to make you sick.

On the other hand I absolutely don't see myself quitting outright anytime soon. I'm okay with my current level of use. It doesn't interfere with my life in general and I actually enjoy the experience a lot more because I haven't got a huge tolerance anymore so get a much more noticeable effect. The day may well come when I feel I've screwed every last bit of reward out of my DOC that I possibly could and it doesn't give me anything anymore. If and when that happens, I'll just be done. Simple as. But I don't see that for a while yet.

iTry91

Bluelighter
Very. Life would seem weirder without any recreational use of any substance and bland. But then I am depressed lol.

Asante

Bluelighter
I might nibble the odd shroom or so but my new personal rule of thumb is: "if I were to take all the drugs of a year on one day and dont conceivably have a good time, I used too much that year."

Asante

Bluelighter
Your body is a system of interconnected balances. If you add or subtract from one of them, ripples of readusting balances move through you for months on end, mentally and physically.

Its like throwing a pebble in a rippleless pond.

If you throw more pebbles, the ripples will interact and interfere with each other.

If you smoke a good joint, eat a good cyan or use any fairly strong dose of a psychoactive drug, you are producing a sensation much stronger than commonly experienced in every day life. Its like you throw a grenade in the pond.

If you do that more than once or twice a year,,its all going to add up for as long as you keep on using a strong dose of drug more often than 1-2x a year.

Most of us havent been truly sober since we were kids. We don't really know what our sober self feels like anymore.

That teenage angst that got you drinking is long gone, replaced by the confidence of adulthood, yet you still drink, and in fact with more regularity in many cases.

I'm sober for 2 years just about and I still feel actively on the journey towards a return to genuine sobriety, just like my lungs from smoking, my brain is taking years to return to a balance I lost when I was 13 years old and got into ether.

I love that journey more than getting high now.

It may change, yes, but right now, its where I want to be.

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Remember the end of Drug Store Cowboy when Matt Dillon laments about sobriety and how the monotony of the 9 to 5 eventually getting to you. I’m a romantic at heart but I’m clean according to the expectations of society at the moment.

G_Chem

Bluelighter
You say when you take many of these drugs “you are producing a sensation much stronger than commonly experienced in every day life.” I’d argue humans have been walking hand in hand with these sensations for millennia. Drug use is not a modern affliction, we’ve been altering our consciousness probably about as long as we’ve been human.

While I can understand based on your experience why you came to the conclusions you did, I don’t think it applies to everyone.

For instance the ripples analogy, while I agree certain drugs do cause lasting effects as our bodies try to return to homeostasis, not all do and I’ve learned that the old adage of “what goes up must come down” isn’t always true. MDMA gives me one hell of a high but beyond a day of rest I often feel an afterglow if anything. The down is nowhere near as bad as the up, when I weigh it all out it’s a pretty sweet deal. I’ve not used MDMA for over a year with no intense cravings or negatives in my sober life.

Now if I use even the tiniest bit of benzodiazepine it’ll throw me off for a week or more. The slight decrease anxiety is majorly outweighed by the long term anxiety increase the comes after. Same with opiates, one night of pleasure for a week of pain.

I think each individual drug needs to be weighed the pros and cons for each individual persons biochemistry. Everyone’s different and responses to drugs will vary tremendously as well.

-GC

hardtack

Bluelighter
Been Partying since early 80's and gotta say some of the Greatest Experiences ever were on substances ,,, Done it with and without and NO question had most wonderful experiences one could ever wish for on allot of Chemicals . Maybe to EACH HIS OWN -some people do well & others- DO NOT? Some people just like Alcohol other just good simple weed or are connoisseur's of Mary jane. Again I never saw the Dark Side of addiction but once and it was not even an physical addiction more mental. Heard and seen so much in 40 years so -I cannot be a judge of anybody just it is merely choices. :unsure::drama:

endlessnameless

Bluelighter
Like someone else said, I like sobriety too. I hated it for the longest time due to being depressed for 10 years but although sobriety is crap at the moment due to being just freshly clean, I'd prefer it over using drugs now that depression (in general) isnt much of an issue for me any more. Other than opiates and the odd few benzos I haven't used anything else since I was 18 and I cant see myself ever going back. I've wanted to be sober for so long that I really couldnt care if I didnt see another drug again in my life. I'd be fine with a few drinks every now and then but the rest can go to hell for all I care.