• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health How honest with your therapist are you?

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
I am going to see my therapist here in a few hours, and am contemplating how much I withhold the whole of my psyche from him. First of all, he happens to own the house I live in, but it's an Oxford house, so it isn't entirely a conflict of interest (e.g. he can't evict me) but I refrain from telling him how I keep having the fleeting thought to leave and continue living on the streets. (despite being on community custody / parole) nor do I tell him that under stress I have heard voices since my early 30's (nothing except telling me they're me and I need to take care of myself, things like that, almost a literal conscience) because of the stigma involved. Anyone else more willing to be honest semi-anonymously online than with their personal therapist?

IDK, my therapist knows everything, and it's very cathartic. She specialized in forensics so she looks past my criminal record and encourages me to be like the wolf of wallstreet instead of a homeless guy with no direction.

If I were you, I'd want help with hearing voices. You could always test the waters and then say you're joking if the stigmatize you, then move on to a new therapist. Are you court ordered to this particular person?

I was honest to a large degree. I told my most embarrassing secret to a psychologist before.

You living in a home owned by this figure is insane to me. Sounds like it is a better idea than going to the streets though. Hope you complete that court business successfully.

I understand it could be helpful or not so much.

One psych professional I saw around the same time I came clean with the other woman asked me something and was trying to pull this secret from me. I think I mentioned the terrible shame keeping me from trying to see people I associated with before when I first got clean. I don't mean to rant but the shame was so intense I couldn't tell her however she didn't diagnose me with what I went to see her about just because I didn't tell her.

I hope your Oxford House experience works out well and you benefit from the therapy.

I would be brutally honest if you can muster the courage and try to tell yourself being there is only temporary .

As for hearing voices, just call it a conscience. Doesn't sound terrible I wouldn't say tell him maybe look into it yourself online.

Last edited:
I told my psychiatrist my symptoms but didn’t tell him they were caused by meth. Serves me right that he dosed me up on anti-psychotics. Now I tell him the truth - I forgot that he seen it all and heard it all before and is not personally invested in me and doesn’t judge me.

Just take it easy at first, therapists are humans aswel and can differ in personality. A sane therapist wouldn't risk conflict of interest so it probably goes two ways.

I told my psychiatrist my symptoms but didn’t tell him they were caused by meth. Serves me right that he dosed me up on anti-psychotics. Now I tell him the truth - I forgot that he seen it all and heard it all before and is not personally invested in me and doesn’t judge me.

Better now than never!

Personally, the fact that he owns the house I am in and therefore happens to know people around me, like my neighbors means that I would never be able to open up to him.

I had a really god awful dick of a therapist at one time. He knew my abusive boyfriends neighbor, unbeknownst to me at the time. He began acting really condescendingly towards me during moments of pure honesty.

I later found out that my boyfriend had been telling everyone that I was schizophrenic to cover up his abuse. He even went as far as to ask me if I heard voices, randomly as fuck one day. I told him no and he says..."huh...well you don't SEEM to be schizophrenic"

It all came out in the end, and I was pretty much long gone, so I never got to say, "I told you so."

I would be very hesitant to tell any new therapist about my IV drug use in the past. It can effect my treatment as well as medications that I am able to take. No thanks!