• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How hard is it to get a Xanax script?

Blueeyes01

Bluelighter
Hey everyone. I have been clean off Oxys for about a week now but I'm REALLY struggling with the anxiety from PAWS. I can't sleep or drink my beloved coffee, and I'm finding I'm having anxiety attacks throughout the day. My heart just won't stop racing. I've been to my psychiatrist many of times for anxiety and she just would never give me more than an antidepressant but I'm just really struggling with this anxiety. I'm thinking about switching doctors but just hate taking the risk and being sent home with nothing again. Any tips?! Even OTC if possible.

Hey there blueeyes01! I want to both welcome you to the community and also give you a little bit of informal direction. As you're new, we don't expect you to have innate knowledge of how we operate and what is and is not "appropriate material". Basically, we don't like to field threads that even remotely imply trying to make prescribers for controlled drugs. No harm done, but we just can't have that. We're here to help people and hopefully, not contribute to their problems.

It's my opinion that you are extremely unlikely to walk out of any prescriber's office with a script for Benzodiazepines. I would just put that notion out of your head for now. It's just unlikely that a PsyD is gonna look at your case and feel ethically obliged to prescribe potentially dangerous drugs.

I think you should be investigating Gabapentin (Neurontin) and/or Pregabalin (Lyrica). I would, in fact, prefer these over Benzodiazepines any day. What is your experience with Gabapentinoids?

Op, dont start using xanax. You think getting off oxys is hard? That is a walk in the park compared to xanax withdrawal. anxiety, panic attacks, seizures.. death.... is what youd be up againsnt.

If you really think you need xanax... there are easy ways to get it without a doctors prescription. do some research. but its a bad idea. I wouldnt recommend using it for over a week.

If your dr. Will not cooperate, switching is your perogative, if you can

However getting benzodiazepines isn't always an easy thing, and if they have refused so far, it is unlikely, unless you switch, and simply say something like "need prn benzodiazepines" though as mentioned, these things are discouraged here;

There are alternatives to try, as also mentioned-although Pregabalin can be expensive, and they are hit and miss, though then so are most things

Typically, we try not to comment on stuff like "the law" and the ethics of doctor shopping, but I feel like a Public Service Announcement is probably in order.

In the past, it was pretty easy to go from doctor to doctor. People made easy livings by doctor shopping. Those days are over. Anyone who is thinking about trying to be deceptive with their prescriber needs to reconsider. Records are almost entirely electronic and when you get to the new doctor, you better believe he is going to want to know the motivation behind the switch and will almost certainly review your entire case before prescribing.

You cannot get away with this shit. In the developed world, there are now extensive systems solely dedicated to rooting out doctor shopping and prescription forgery. Sure, maybe you'll get lucky, but if you don't, you could earn a permanent red flag on your file. It is better to not be deceptive. Doctors, like anyone else, do not like being lied to. I've found, if a doc believes I'm deceiving them in any way, the relationship utterly breaks down.

Your best bet is always to be brutally honest. Tell them you're a drug addict, you're trying to get better and "can you help?". That is the best course of action, I assure you. It can help forge a strong bond with your prescriber once they know that you are being honest with them.

^Yes in some states at least they even know where you fill ER prescriptions(legit prescriptions, not dr shopping)

Things have changed, however people are people, and some will understand

Too many people have lied to doctors and messed things uo(assuming the doc was open mined to begin with)

Even withholding information isn't a lie, however it can still be frowned upon; Nice PSA, KR