Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How granny used a menu to deal drugs to hungry customers

diegoblunt

Bluelighter
Daily Telegraph
By STEVE GEE
April 7, 2004

HER cafe was one of Port Kembla's most popular eateries.

But while neighbouring shopkeepers raved about Anjelka Gavric's coffee and sandwiches, it was the bacon and egg rolls that kept the junkies returning.

For $5 you got a standard roll.

But those in the know asked for a roll with bacon and eggs and salt and pepper – and got a hit of heroin and a feed for $40.

But the takeaway utopia ended for the suburb's heroin users when the grandmother of two was arrested by police.

Gavric, 49, was charged with supplying heroin in July 2002 after a four-day police sting in which she sold five deals of heroin to undercover police.

She was found guilty in February and is to be sentenced in Wollongong Court today.

But on the streets of Port Kembla yesterday two different stories emerged of the cafe owner referred to by locals as a "beautiful lady".

As the mother of three sat in prison awaiting sentence, her daughter Biki told of the family's determination to clear her mother's name.

Biki, 23, was adamant her mother was framed by local drug dealers.

Her mother had run the Wentworth St shop for over 18 months, having moved to the newly refurbished premises from another shop just 300m away.

During a court hearing police revealed that she had been captured on video selling heroin deals to two undercover police for $40.

"She was framed. That's the only thing I can say," Biki said.

Biki, who has a two-year-old son Kosta, said her mother had a solid reputation in the community and her arrest had stunned customers at the shop, which has since shut down.

"Nobody can believe that this has happened and I when I first heard I just freaked out," she said.

Fellow shopkeepers said they were shocked when police raided the neat cafe in July 2002.

"They used to have nice food and seats outside. I had no idea," said one shop worker.

A worker in a neighbouring pharmacy said: "I used to eat there sometimes but I never had the ones with the white powder in it. I heard rumours."

A former neighbour of the Gavrics said he was familiar with rumours about the house special – the bacon and egg roll.

"If you ask for a bacon and egg roll it was $5, but with salt and pepper it was $40 with some white powder," he said.

"She is a beautiful lady. It was a bit of a surprise."

"They used to have nice food and seats outside. I had no idea," said one shop worker.
What, do you expect it to be trashy food and seats inside just because heroin is involved?

Anyway... I wasn't aware heroin found it's way down the south coast. Interesting! :)

I spose that's one way of getting customers to return. Perhaps maccas should take a leaf out of her book.

Perhaps maccas should take a leaf out of her book

There was a McDonalds here that you could ask for an "extra happy meal" and you got a happy meal + a foil of weed.

It didnt last to long, but it was funny :p

heroin is rampant in port kembla, living on the south coast its a well known spot for junkies/prostitutes to hang out and score on the main street (wentworth street)

this story does not surprise me one bit, as it's absolutely chaos in the mentioned street. all the shops are rundown s@#t holes and most of which have closed due to drugs taking over the location.

There was a McDonalds here that you could ask for an "extra happy meal" and you got a happy meal + a foil of weed.

Haha, wikkid. I spose once again their philosophy is that it makes the not so happy happy meal taste better.

I remember a fair few years back when I was in my final year of high school.

There was a pizza place at some shops where we were often near (the liqour store nearby was slack on ID) that we discovered sold weed with pizzas.

It was fantastic.

Dammit why do I always hear about these places after they catch them ;)

We used to have a deli on the corner that sold $25 dollar lolly bags. It took the cops coming round and closing the place down for us to realise why the place was such a popular hang out for the local teenagers. =D

DRUG SELLING KEBAB SHOP

I LIVE NEAR THE SUBURB OF ENGADINE .. WHICH HAS A NICE KEBAB SHOP..
2 YEARS AGO U COULD WALK IN THERE .. ASK FOR A KEBAB. WITH THE SPECIAL HOUSE SAUCE... U GET A KEBAB AND A 2 POINTS OF ICE FOR $50.
BUT U KNOW WHAT SPEED HEADS ARE LIKE THEIR NOT HUNGRY .. AND THE JUNKYS STARTED SAYING I JUST WANT SOME WATER WITH SOME ICE..
BUT THE COPS CAUGHT ONTO IT WHEN ALL THESE PEOPLE ENTERED THE SHOP BUT HARDLY ANY WALKED OUT WITH A KEBAB.. JUST A CUP OF WATER HAHAHAHAH
DUMB FUCKS..

heheh its pretty common for shops/cafes sell drugs, weed, etc when I lived in Tassie, I used to buy weed when I was a teenager from a certain Fish'n'chips shop you just asked for some $1 chips with bag of lollies, and you get a stick/foil of grass. :)

in my old area of west ryde there used to be an old bloke who ran a newsagent in the station. no need for code words you could just him flat out for a 50 and he would pull out a bunch of unweighed/measured weed, stick in between the fold of a trading post...

of course i think the cops realised something was going on when it took $50 to by a trading post...sadly he was arrested..

A local myth was the KFC home delivery service would sell a variety of substances depending on what "code" you said when giving your order...

ah the good ole days

In South Brissie here...a young dude used to sell pot from his video shop. Put the gear in the plastic video case, so it looked like you were just buying a video.

But... as above shows...he too was busted....seems the trust factor doesn't hold too long with some..:(

my local cafe was busted for money laundering. the cops somehow caught on, i think it was to do with the fact that they never opened!
now they have opened again and i go down there and order a burger and chips and they look at me like i am some kind of freak ordering food!

HAHAHA!

I can just imagine the reactions of unsuspecting customers who actually did want salt and pepper on their legitimate bacon & egg rolls. $35 for a bit of added seasoning.

Wow. I wish there were more Cafes like this one around selling a variety of secret goodies :D

shals!

Places like that are pretty common, although a bust is generally inevitable. I've bought 'extra's' from Donut King before.
There used to be this uber-sketchy cafe on carlisle st. with 2 plastic tables, about 3 menu options, and a couple of 100k cars parked out front.
that place was a godsend during my high school years