• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How does oxycodone OD work?

ElevatedSoul

Bluelighter
Just a quick question, can you overdose for a high daily dose alone? What I mean by that, is even if you take some oxycodone, then sober up, and take more, can just a certain amount a day make you OD? Or does it only happen when you take too much at one time? Like if I snorted X amount of oxys in one day, can too much it one day make you OD alone? Or is it only if you take too much at one time? May seem like dumb question but I really don't know the answer. I would assume ODing can only happen if you take too much at one time, but that's an assumption

Everyone is different. If you think you're going to OD, dose lower. You know your body and tolerance.

I'm no expert, but I assume with shorter acting drugs like oxy you'd need to take one large dose to OD, rather than several smaller doses. As long as the doses are spread out a bit, oxy wouldn't last long enough to build up in your system, I don't think? From what I've seen oxy tolerance can go crazy high, im sure I've seen reports of 200mg + doses! So I'm sure someone with more experience with high dose oxy will chime in, stay safe.

Yeah, everyone is different. I can't take more than 50-60mg without getting horribly sick, I've also gotten sick at doses as low as 5mg. :/
It depends on your tolerance as well, or so it seems. What your body is used to taking.

320mgs is a walk in the park with a lil' buzz.......it wasn't always like this.

Yeah OP I think in a general sense and understanding OD is something that happens when we've taken too much in one single dose. But if you've taken a dose and allowed its peak to pass and you feel close to baseline and you take another dose, perhaps a little more this time and you OD, the former dose has played at least some role in the latter........but that's all a bit unnecessary and useless, If you've OD'd it's as a result of having more drug in you than your body can physically handle at that particular time for whatever reasons.

To many variables. Do you have any sleep disorders? I used to wonder this same thing and I've convinced myself that you can. Say you take 60mg at 11am then you take another 20mg at 6pm and go to bed at 9pm. I believe if you have any other issues at all that you could possibly have major breathing issues.

Short answer: Yes, earlier doses can effect your plasma levels after a current dose, and can increase the risk of OD.

The other posters all brought up great points, too.

Even when the buzz wears off, if there's a substantial amount of opiate left in your blood stream, adding to it with a full size dose can take you over the top vs the dose alone (if the dose is big enough, of course).

it doesn't for me. i can take huge doeses and have been since 2012. im talking huge doses at my worst before last years shoulder op funnily enoguh I was at 1 gram +- of oc a day. not one o/d ever , taken with a sleep benzo (loprazolam too), wonder why that is.
i remember when i was in hospital for my shoulder last year the surgeon was freaking out about me oding under his care cos he was rxing me 360 mgs of oxycontin a day + morphine shots (and dipenone (wellcanol) for my post op pain - shattered shoulder ball and socket - not replacement candidate so just get patchwork done until i can get replacement) but once he saw how little it effected me he was okay with it.

it doesn't for me. i can take huge doeses and have been since 2012. im talking huge doses at my worst before last years shoulder op funnily enoguh I was at 1 gram +- of oc a day. not one o/d ever , taken with a sleep benzo (loprazolam too), wonder why that is.
i remember when i was in hospital for my shoulder last year the surgeon was freaking out about me oding under his care cos he was rxing me 360 mgs of oxycontin a day + morphine shots (and dipenone (wellcanol) for my post op pain - shattered shoulder ball and socket - not replacement candidate so just get patchwork done until i can get replacement) but once he saw how little it effected me he was okay with it.

WOW, that is a massive OC habit/tolerance. Way back in the day, at my worst, I was breaking 300mg a day and I thought that was a lot. I overdosed on about that one night with a bunch of alcohol and a little bit of benzo mixed it.

I can honestly say I've never met anyone with an OC tolerance that large. I knew a few guys who were touching 500mgs a day. 1G...that's crazy.

yeah, glad it's not that bad anymore.

the withdrawals i had my .22 in my mouth multiple times, they were too heavy to elaborate oi think my brain has forgotten some of them on purpose but my friends who saw me didn't. non stop dry vomitting, RLS< insomnia, chills - hot cold hot cold. ACHES TO THE BONE. the worst for me was the dperession.

Ive never seen anyone OD (IV) after the 1 or 2 minute mark after injection.

ODing via oral administration is fucking hard. Ive never seen it.

This is from a junkies point of view though. If some kid randomly took an oxy 80 for the first time, its hospital time.

What your drescribing, I dont think its possible. OD generally requires a relatively large and acute dose.

I honestly don't think it's likely to happen with someone who has a bit of tolerance. More than likely it'd come from (like Larc mentioned above) a 16 yo kid with no tolerance whatsoever taking 80-120 mg of OxyContin. Not too sure the method makes a huge difference. Being opiate naive and that large a dose would most likely cause a medical event. As in, call 911 NOW!

When I was in prison there was a guy there for a life sentence because he sold a kid (well I think 19yo) oxys, the police pulled the guy over, he ate the 5 oxy 80s he had in a bag, the bag burst, the guy died. In the state I am in if you sell someone drugs and they OD it is a murder charge.