• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How does kratom affect the brain?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Been eating this substance for a while now, but sadly I don't actually know much about how it affects the brain or any of its history :oops:

I know it fills the opiate receptors within the brain, but it doesn't seem to have the same composition that cause real opiates to completely rewire the brain's reward system. Does anyone know much more about it or can provide any useful information on how the effects work? Would you consider it an opiate? ty! :) I find it to be a very friendly substance. The withdrawals suck but there's something about it that seem to enhance life without ruining it--and it doesn't affect male libido!

I read somewhere that it activates delta receptors as well as mu receptors, but that could be total bullshit.

It doesn't depress breathing, it doesn't cause endocrinopathy (sex drive dwindle). Right there, two things that are amazing. And yet it somehow has enough overlap on the venn diagram to really help withdrawal. It causes constipation, but not as bad.

I don't consider it an opiate. It feels different. Too different. Now, I've only ever done plain leaf. I could imagine that if you mainlined some 7 OH Mitragynine or whatever the *good* one is, it might feel like more of a real opiate. But I believe the plain leaf has many alkaloids and compounds that are potentially contributors to the entire experience.

Not very helpful I'm sorry- but I wanted to highlight some of the main differences- particularly the breathing and sex drive.

It actually works far better for pain relief in my experience than pills. I know that people always state the opposite and say that kratom is "weak." This may be because of my body being dependent on the alkloids in kratom these days.

It's nice. The government I'm sure will make several future attempts to ban it but I can actually live a sober life while having something to catch a buzz and never have to worry about legality, overdosing, or addiction overcoming my life. It's not as pleasurable as other substances but kratom is really good. It can get pricey but all addictions are lol. And if the only issue I have with kratom is the potential cost and minor withdrawals, then I'm totally okay with that.

It's a partial agonist that effects the mu-opioid receptors and also a mild stimulant and related to coffee, at least in terms of the family of plants it is in.

I do think it's an opioid in that it effects opioid receptors, but the lightest one out there.

However, for me if I take a lot of it it does negatively effect my sex drive and my desire to exercise and i believe that like all opioids it lowers testosterone, but only up until a few days after you stop and then it comes back.

That is one of the biggest reasons I am taking a LONG break from it now, because I really cannot motivate myself to exercise much on it.

But it's relatively safe and one of my favorite substances and i do not believe it depresses respiration and is probably the safest opioid out there.

Last edited:
Not much in the Medical World to confirm or disprove the range of effects that consuming the alkaloids in Kratom can have on someone using it chronically. I was a daily user at about 18g per day and had acute opioid WD, and a good 7 months of PAWS. I used an anti-depressant towards the end and it got rid of the suicidal thinking, so it likely has moderate to strong effects on serotonin similar to tramadol. If you go to KiDatabase and check on the alkaloids, I forget which one it was, one of them was tested and showed affinity for SERT. I've never had an opioid dependency before trying Kratom, so I don't know why I got withdrawal from it as bad as I did. I had RLS, panic, hot/cold flushes, IBS, and terrible insomnia and depression.

After the acute stage it took many months to get my natural energy level back and for the anhedonia to subside, along with the chemically induced level of depression.

It's a partial agonist that effects the mu-opioid receptors and also a mild stimulant and related to coffee, at least in terms of the family of plants it is in.

I do think it's an opioid in that it effects opioid receptors, but the lightest one out there.

However, for me if I take a lot of it it does negatively effect my sex drive and my desire to exercise and i believe that like all opioids it lowers testosterone, but only up until a few days after you stop and then it comes back.

That is one of the biggest reasons I am taking a LONG break from it now, because I really cannot motivate myself to exercise much on it.

But it's relatively safe and one of my favorite substances and i do not believe it depresses respiration and is probably the safest opioid out there.

Hmm interesting! I do notice it affect my sex drive but it's nice because I can focus on other things. Non-kratom opies
Not much in the Medical World to confirm or disprove the range of effects that consuming the alkaloids in Kratom can have on someone using it chronically. I was a daily user at about 18g per day and had acute opioid WD, and a good 7 months of PAWS. I used an anti-depressant towards the end and it got rid of the suicidal thinking, so it likely has moderate to strong effects on serotonin similar to tramadol. If you go to KiDatabase and check on the alkaloids, I forget which one it was, one of them was tested and showed affinity for SERT. I've never had an opioid dependency before trying Kratom, so I don't know why I got withdrawal from it as bad as I did. I had RLS, panic, hot/cold flushes, IBS, and terrible insomnia and depression.

After the acute stage it took many months to get my natural energy level back and for the anhedonia to subside, along with the chemically induced level of depression.

Can I ask how long you were on it? This is very bad news for me ugh...

Hmm..must have been about 1-1.5 years of daily usage. I dabbled with it non-daily for awhile before I moved to daily use.