• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin how do you know the physical withdrawals are over?

A few posters above mentioned how it seems like the symptoms of withdraw seem to intensify around night time. I also experienced this when I was going through withdraw, is there an explanation as to why it seems to intensify around night time?

To the OP, I swear by exercise. Nights were usually the worst for me, however waking up and not getting my fix was equally aggravating. You just don't want to wake up. However, when you do, and you manage to eat or drink something, your blood sugar goes up. Even if you do not eat, your blood sugar rises and falls in cycles of about 2-3 hours. Cereal will get your get your blood sugar up the quickest. Exercise will do that even faster. I know when I was w/d'ing the absolute last thing I'd want to do is exercise. But the halo effect of exerting yourself to the max will last 2-3 hours and the symptoms should diminish significantly, or all but disappear if your tolerance isn't that high and you've been using for 4 days. Just do pushups until you fail, until you can't do anymore, then do 1 more, then 1 more, then rest 10-15 seconds and do it again. When you think you can't do a single one more, pretend you're wolverine and scream until you get another one out. Then another. Within a minute you should notice the chills stop and the yawning stops. For me, my hearing gets muffled like I would get from opiates. But you really have to go all out, and keep doing it even when your brain says no more.

The reason at night you feel the worst, is because your blood sugar is 0 and your body is not replenishing it with food or exercise. Your body thinks it's time to go to sleep and starves your blood of sugar to help you sleep (you know that afternoon lethargy?). Ever feel super sleepy and get up to pee or brush your teeth, then you can't fall asleep? That's your body releasing blood sugar because it thinks you plan on staying awake. Now, if you can't get out of bed, just wishing someone would put you out of your misery, then exercise is one of the most difficult tasks you can do. But if you believe me that the reward of doing 30 pushups is equivalent to 30mg of hydrocodone, would you force yourself despite everything you feel?

I discovered this when I had to hide my symptoms and go shovel snow. After I was done, I was feeling better and it lasted for over an hour. I had a gram a day iv oxy habit, 3 oc80s 4x a day. No joke. I know where I'm coming from when it comes to w/d's. I even precipitated withdrawals once with that habit. Don't ever want to think about that.

Back to exercise. It has a great anti-anxiety effect as well. What I can suggest to you is to take some Immodium to keep your GI in check, L-Tyrosine to help speed up your dopamine production, and eat (drink if you cant) sugary stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, cereal will get your blood sugar high quickly (but it will fall quickly too)... if you want to sustain yourself for longer, eat fruits or drink juices. Do that on day 3, 4 and 5. Your transition will be seamless and you will associate your recovery and feeling better with exercise. Then when the physical w/d's are gone, you will already be ahead of the game tackling the psychological symptoms. Sitting around (and not exercising) will only make your thoughts wander to opiates and trigger cravings. Good thing is you might even get hooked on exercise, because you will associate it with dopamine. But that's the good stuff. It will help you down the road.

I was reading your post and you mentioned yawning. Sometimes when I try to skip a dose of my meds because I am not in pain I start yawning and my eyes water up. I did not realize this was a symptom of my body needing my meds. But I will yawn like five times in a minute with the eye watering thingl It's so annoying. What's more annoying though is that I am now at a space that I HAVE to take my meds even if I am not in pain. :(

Does exercise speed up ones metabolism? If so it would make sense that exercise speeds up the withdrawal period. Like flushing the shit out of your body faster I mean.

Or maybe its just a mental thing, lying in bed all day withdrawing seems to go on for ever, but keeping active makes the time fly!

In respect to your original question, you know when they are over when you stop feeling like shit!!

Last time I got clean...about a week untill I felt "normal". I mean your a amatuer opiate user at most so youll be fine but when you get deep into it, I honeslty don't feel there ever is such a thing as "being normal" without opiates ever again. God's honest truth. Even when I was clean, physically I was fine but my mid was going 200mph.

Last time I got clean...about a week untill I felt "normal". I mean your a amatuer opiate user at most so youll be fine but when you get deep into it, I honeslty don't feel there ever is such a thing as "being normal" without opiates ever again. God's honest truth. Even when I was clean, physically I was fine but my mid was going 200mph.

i cant even remember my time being clean. i did so much different shit that i would never do high and then always got high within a day or a couple. and that high was always magical, like perfect setting and everything. so every time i get clean i want to go get high again and have another one of those really good nights.

some of this is without a doubt the dumbest, bullshit-filled nonsense i have seen in a long time. You are making a lot claims without any medical references my friend; and accordingly many of your claims about physiology are wrong. 8)

Really have you ever kicked an opiate habit? Id say funkee gave some pretty damn good advice you on the other hand didnt add shit to the discussion

but for the OP you should be feeling 100 percent better by day 4. One thing I havnt seen mentioned is taking a super hot bath that always relieved my symptoms nearly completly for as long as I was in the tub. Sometimes just getting a 10-15 minute ''break'' from withdrawl can make all the differance mentally.

Ive only gone through complete WD on weaker drugs. I think one day you just know its over, you feel normal, you feel good, youre back on bluelight again, etc. I dont know if the time of day matters.

taylor_105 Yawning is definitely a withdrawal symptom. As is tearing and runny nose. I came upon it from a w/d checklist for people being admitted to a clinic. Here's such a checklist, it could help ID some other symptoms you might have. http://www.suboxone.com/pdfs/OWR.pdf

80mg It's taken close to a year for me to feel closer to normal. The emotional effects are quite strong. I developed a habit to cope with fear and sadness that was overwhelming my life. Until then, I was only a chipper. At the time I thought I was happy, but I was numb. Regaining the moods and the emotions was difficult and perhaps the longest part of my recovery.

DustnRoses You'll probably be on day 5 by the time you read this. Let us know how you're doing. Being on a cruise sounds very helpful.

Aside from jumping overboard and swimming to shore, the seclusion is good... the knowledge that you can't cop helps a bit to deal with the cravings. The pools and jacuzzis are nice, and not having to go to work or school is a plus. When you go home, you may still have symptoms from time to time. Chills, sweating, hot flashes and yawning are the most common. They will disappear in time. Exercise will help speed up your recovery, but I do not know the mechanism.

Exercise worked for me as a supplement to my suboxone. Waking up with chills is still something I have to deal with. Some coffee or hot chocolate, followed by 50 pushups and some food gets rid of my symptoms immediately. Sometimes I'm lazy and sleepy, so the coffee and food helps to get me started.

I have worked with others and helped them through withdrawals, some cold turkey, others via sub. Those who had a lower tolerance than I and began exercising at the very first symptoms, continued to do so after the withdrawal period around day 6 or so. Only 2 people with the lowest of tolerances, were able to exercise on evening 2 and morning 3, when the symptoms peaked. Like someone mentioned, hot baths are so helpful for the muscle aches and the chills. When I accidentally precipitated withdrawals, by taking suboxone too early, I was using 2 grams/day iv of very pure H. It was the most excruciating 3 hours of my life, even though I was sick for the whole day. For those 3 hours I could not get out of the shower, continuously trying to plug the bathtub drain to kill myself with a hairdryer. Not my proudest of moments, but it's an experience so horrifying, a nightmarish and violent dying experience... death appeared to be my only relief. sigh Something I wish on no one. So many people have gone through withdrawals and come out okay. Let the withdrawals remind you the cost of the euphoria you seek whenever you crave. I don't think you'll ever look at cruise ships the same way. I happened to be listening a lot to Disturbia (Rihanna) when I was using. I associated the lyrics so much with withdrawals, it gives me chills when I hear it today. Creating strategies to avoid being in situations that trigger cravings is how to beat it. Working with your family and letting them know is perhaps the most important step. However, your addictive voice, like mine, kept me from doing that, in order to leave the opportunity to use in the future. I got caught and it turned out real shitty for me. I hope you can conquer it and are successful. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Hey all, my internet time is limited (40 cents per minute on the cruise ship) so ill make this short. any input and answers are greatly appreciated. our ship just arrived at ensensada mexico, and right off the dock are pharmacies selling tramadol. i am on my 5th day, feel fine as of yesterday, all wd's gone. my questions are, is this going to set me back, WD wise, and is it legal to bring them back on the ship? i have to log off now to save my minutes, so ill check back for responses ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Well it was just too easy to do, so I went and bought a bottle of Veldrol, apparently it's the same dosage as Ultram? I have minimal knowledge of tramdol, but have tried it with good results in the past. Has anyone ever tried Veldrol before? It says clorhidrato de tramadol.......50mg. I'm assuming it's safe to take, I'm still doing research online before taking any just to be safe, but if anyone here knows anything about this stuff please share.

dont take more than 500mg as its a seizure risk. And have fun

Well it was just too easy to do, so I went and bought a bottle of Veldrol, apparently it's the same dosage as Ultram? I have minimal knowledge of tramdol, but have tried it with good results in the past. Has anyone ever tried Veldrol before? It says clorhidrato de tramadol.......50mg. I'm assuming it's safe to take, I'm still doing research online before taking any just to be safe, but if anyone here knows anything about this stuff please share.

Dammit man, you're in fucking Mexico! Surely you can find something better than tramadol?

Yes you've set yourself back certainly. You will experience withdrawals from tramadol by agonizing your receptors. They might not be as severe as with H. sigh Our judgment is so impaired when faced with craving. I figured being on a boat seemed almost optimum. Be very very careful with tramadol, high doses are known to cause seizures in some individuals. I hope my words weren't lost on you. You could also find something better than tramadol in the pharmacies... I do believe Heroin is legal for personal use. I don't know who sells it... just don't go looking for H or get involved with any street dealers. That's just asking to get in trouble, kidnapped or worse at this time.

Dammit man, you're in fucking Mexico! Surely you can find something better than tramadol?

Yeah I'm on a 4 day cruise with my parents and my little sister...Also, Funkee, I know what I could probably find if I did seek it out, but I really am trying to make it as not-obvious as I can, being with my family. Do you think I set myself back significantly by doing 200 mg's...? That's all I've done so far... I got a bottle of 25 but I don't know if I want to keep taking them if it will significantly set me back and make me experience WD's again...

Yes you've set yourself back certainly. You will experience withdrawals from tramadol by agonizing your receptors. They might not be as severe as with H. sigh Our judgment is so impaired when faced with craving. I figured being on a boat seemed almost optimum. Be very very careful with tramadol, high doses are known to cause seizures in some individuals. I hope my words weren't lost on you. You could also find something better than tramadol in the pharmacies... I do believe Heroin is legal for personal use. I don't know who sells it... just don't go looking for H or get involved with any street dealers. That's just asking to get in trouble, kidnapped or worse at this time.

Just wanted to say that I do appreciate your time you've contributed to my thread, you really have been a help...although it sounds weird I feel like I've let you down...lol almost like letting down a good friend or a sibling. You're right, my judgement is definitely impaired by my opiate addiction...it's a constant battle. The reason I feel like I am an exception to the general rule is that I live in Europe, and my job makes it ABSOLUTELY impossible to do drugs, so I go on these binges when I come home, but they end as abruptly as they begin...so just know that you're words and advice are not lost on me.

A few posters above mentioned how it seems like the symptoms of withdraw seem to intensify around night time. I also experienced this when I was going through withdraw, is there an explanation as to why it seems to intensify around night time?

i imagine it has something to do with wanting to sleep - your body is adjusted to sleeping at night time. at night time you're used to slowing down, not as hectic pace as during the day, you're trying to relax into sleep mode so a lot of the symptoms are magnified. that's how i perceive it anyway and is always the case for me.

generally i can wake up in withdrawals and not dose all day until night because i know without that dose i'm not going to get to sleep and only end up in full blown withdrawals within a few more hours.

Also, two more questions for anyone who knows...how much time do you need between doses when using tramadol? I know it can be toxic at certain doses, so I definitely want to avoid that.

And Funkee, do you think that by only taking 200 mg's once I will still experience WD symptoms? Or were you assuming that I would use the entire bottle? Thanks!

you'll know your withrawls are over when you pull the needle out of your arm after a fat shot.

But really, when your healthy and happy and havent used dope in 48 hours or over....thats when.

Also, two more questions for anyone who knows...how much time do you need between doses when using tramadol? I know it can be toxic at certain doses, so I definitely want to avoid that.

And Funkee, do you think that by only taking 200 mg's once I will still experience WD symptoms? Or were you assuming that I would use the entire bottle? Thanks!

it takes more then one dose of anything to produce withdrawal symptoms, usually more then a week straight of use more like 2-3 weeks. Anything you feel after a single dose can be attributed to hangover.

Although some steroids like prednisone can be pretty addictive after only a single or a few doses.