• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How do amphetamines work?

Vaki

Greenlighter
Can anyone explain to me how amphetamines work? What happens in your brain and it gives you the energy, consetration and most importantly the motivation? I looked at a couple of websites but they were either unspecific or of doubtable credibility. I would really apreciate a more complete and extensive explanation. I want to compare "smart drugs" that seem to help motivate people and enhance their concetration, such as amphetamines, methylphenidate, modafinil and even caffeine to some extend. I'm guessing their common effect is excessive release/use of dopamine.. but I'm sure there is more to that. If you could also summarize how any of the other drugs I mentioned work you would be of great help! Thanks in advance!

Amphetamine causes the release of and prevents the reuptake of neurotransmitters in the brain, primarily dopamine and norepinephrine. This means more of either is available to exert its action than would be without the drug. Neurotransmitters are chemical messangers that start a cascade to of events to occur. There are certain regions of the brain involved with different behaviors and sensory imput. The dopamine is thought to activate the mesolimbic pathway which is involved in reward and norepinephrine in the locus coeruleus which allows the body to process imput and focus greater than in a rested state.

Methylphenidate acts only as a inhibitor of the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine primarily and modafanil isnt fully understood but most likely has similar effects to either amp or methylphenidate.

Basically you take the drug, you have more neurotransmitters available which activate an area of the brain which causes enhanced function of the behaviors of which they control. There is a ton more to it, but thats the stripped down version.

Caffeine is kind of a special case because it works by blocking receptors for adenosine, a neurotransmitter that induces tiredness.

Adenosine suppresses the release of a number of neurotransmitters (dopamine, noradrenaline, adrenaline, serotonin, acetylcholine) - conversely, blocking adenosine leads to an increased release of these neurotransmitters, resulting in increased wakefulness.