• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How Dangerous of a Combo is Sonata and Gabapentin?

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
So... why hide it... I love Sonata. lol

But recently it’s been losing it’s effect on me and it’s getting harder and harder to have hallucinations and not really putting me to sleep anymore either.

But i just remembered I have some extra Gabapentin laying around from a year or two ago when I used to experience severe back pain more often. And I remember it used to feel sorta similar to the Sonata as far as the body-high goes. And it used to heavily potentiate my benzodiazepine prescriptions in the past.

So, I know if I take them together, they will definitely have some synergy and increase the sedation of both.

Now, even though I like to experiment, I’m still very cautious of my doses so I’m not going to go crazy with this or anything... But one major concern of mine with mixing things has always been the chance of Seretonin Syndrome. And with Sonata being a rather unusual one, I’m having a little trouble finding out if this is a really bad idea here...

Can anyone with some more knowledge on the pharmacology behind these please help me out and confirm that I won’t die from this combination before I go trying this out for myself?

Anything I should be especially cautious about other than the obvious chance of blacking out?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

✌️

It is a pretty benign combination. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

As stated, it won't cause Serotonin Syndrome (you don't ever want a Serotonin Storm, it is horrible. I happened to have a serotonin antagonist(CYPROHEPTADINE) I took out of instinct that finally ended it)

Anyway be safe and enjoy. Oh and be careful using Z drugs for hallucinating, they are intended as hypnotics

Get Cyproheptadine if you ever take another drug combo that can cause Serotonin Syndrome

Stay safe - Lorne out

sonata is GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator

Gabapentin is voltage-dependent calcium channels α2δ-1 and α2δ-2 blocker

it's the same like mixing it with benzodiazepines
this combination will not cause serotonin syndrome but they can increase the sedation of both selves leading to respiratory depression, take care of your self, if you will do it, try small doses first.
Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for so thank you!

And it’ll definitely be small doses when combined. That’s all I really wanted to try this for anyways is to see if I can go back to tripping off just one or two pills instead of needing multiple to get where I want to be.

It is a pretty benign combination. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

As stated, it won't cause Serotonin Syndrome (you don't ever want a Serotonin Storm, it is horrible. I happened to have a serotonin antagonist(CYPROHEPTADINE) I took out of instinct that finally ended it)

Anyway be safe and enjoy. Oh and be careful using Z drugs for hallucinating, they are intended as hypnotics

Get Cyproheptadine if you ever take another drug combo that can cause Serotonin Syndrome

Stay safe - Lorne out
Great. Thank you!

And it seems terrible. My father was hospitalized with it once and nobody had any idea what was even wrong until I told them his symptoms seemed to match and showed them his bottles.

For the most part I tend to avoid mixing anything these days just out of respect to these chemicals’ sometimes unusual interactions but I’ll have to see if I can find some of that to keep around then.

But yeah, after years of severe insomnia, hypnotics have definitely become my class of choice already tbh. Like all the fun of a hallucinogenic deliriant combined with all the anxiolytic bliss of a benzo all wrapped up into one easy to take pill that lasts just long enough to have fun but not long enough to get into trouble. These things can definitely get addicting.

Very addicting...

Sorry about your father, I wish doctors received more pharmacological training, although you figured it out and they did believe you when you brought the bottles? That's good

How did they treat him?

Very addicting...

Sorry about your father, I wish doctors received more pharmacological training, although you figured it out and they did believe you when you brought the bottles? That's good

How did they treat him?
He had multiple doctors and hadn’t always been the best about keeping track of the medication names so some of his doctors had been unaware of a few of his antidepressants he had been getting from other doctors.
He ended up with severe seizures and a lot of other symptoms that tended to blend in with his pre-existing conditions.
But luckily I had enough knowledge of the drug classes he was on to alert the doctors of what it really was and once they found out, treatment went fairly smoothly after that and he was put on a much better and safer combination of prescriptions by much more knowledgeable doctors.

Sonata means you live in the UK? I guess no pmp, though doesn't the national Health System monitor that?

Doctors just love antidepressants, yet they have side effects and other issues that are brushed off; and they suck for anxiety for many people, and have risks like Serotonin Syndrome

I live in the US actually. Here the doctors just ask us what we’re on and take our word for it in the future appointments. If you forget to tell them one, it can sometimes go missed for years until you really evaluate your prescription collection at home and memorize it well for the next appointment. Med files cant transfer between clinics due to HIPAA.

But I agree, they really do. They love prescribing antidepressants under the false assumption that they’re safe and easy choices to cover way too many conditions. But in reality their side effects are way worse than most controlled substances and they take weeks to even kick in.

I basically play it off like I’m allergic when they offer antidepressants to me nowadays. Usually works. And if it doesn’t they just go in the trash (drug drop-off really) where they belong anyways. lol

Last edited:
sonata is GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator

Gabapentin is voltage-dependent calcium channels α2δ-1 and α2δ-2 blocker

it's the same like mixing it with benzodiazepines
this combination will not cause serotonin syndrome but they can increase the sedation of both selves leading to respiratory depression, take care of your self, if you will do it, try small doses first.

Bullshit. I've taken this combo many times
It's safe to combine any z-drugs or benzos with gabapentin, just don't introduce alcohol into the mix.

Bullshit. I've taken this combo many times
It's safe to combine any z-drugs or benzos with gabapentin, just don't introduce alcohol into the mix.
I think they were saying that it is okay as long as I’m careful but okay. Thank you for confirming with first hand experience that it’s safe. And I don’t drink anymore so that won’t be an issue. 👍