• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How dangerous is mixing Amph with SSRIs?

But SS can be lethal. Did you even know in how much danger you were in?

SS is VERY rarely lethal.

On the one hand, understanding your anxiety disorder I want to sympathize.

On the other, I'm in a mode these days where I don't get AS much anxiety about these same sorts of things as I used to/or you do...so I want to try to tell you to relax but I can understand where you are at.

I don't know...I can relax on this subject because I've combined dex with prozac A BILLION times, like so many times over the years so now I have no fear of SS happening.

I hope you find the right medication for your anxiety.

I think once you do you MIGHT start to be able to logically separate what you need to be afraid of better from what you think is worrisome but really isn't.

This is one of those situations that presents SOME risk...but not enough that what you are facing is bad.

You DO realize you stand a WAY better chance of a car accident every day than you do of getting SS right??

Talk to your doctor.

You are NOT in a bad situation in my opinion if you take dex and your SSRI but I'm no expert.

@ myco

I started with zoloft I'm at 100mg now. So far havent taken any dex. If I want to introduce it should I start super slow? I dont know if this would make it more safe.
I'm also not sure if SS, if it happens, happens instantly when you're at a certain dose or if it's possible to be on a certain dose like 100 zoloft + 20 dex for weeks and you think it's allright
and then suddenly you get SS. I think from what I read that SS doesnt have to happen instantly.

I have tried enough antidepressants already to know that this fear doesnt go away. I dont think it can be fixed with drugs.
Even when I take a ssri I'm still anxious. :(
It's not acute anxiety but general anxiety.

The biggest risk for you here isn't serotonin syndrome, but rather a significant amplification of your anxiety disorder, which can very easily become crippling and prevent you from getting any benefit from the stim you've used.

Stimulants can be very useful, and indeed are necessary for some people, but they do have serious downsides you need to keep in mind. By all means give it a go for a few days if you think it might help, but don't persist with it if you get the feeling it's doing more harm than good, and stop it immediately if you start getting paranoid or suicidal thoughts (take a benzo at this point if you have any on hand).

@ myco

I started with zoloft I'm at 100mg now. So far havent taken any dex. If I want to introduce it should I start super slow? I dont know if this would make it more safe.
I'm also not sure if SS, if it happens, happens instantly when you're at a certain dose or if it's possible to be on a certain dose like 100 zoloft + 20 dex for weeks and you think it's allright
and then suddenly you get SS. I think from what I read that SS doesnt have to happen instantly.

I have tried enough antidepressants already to know that this fear doesnt go away. I dont think it can be fixed with drugs.
Even when I take a ssri I'm still anxious. :(
It's not acute anxiety but general anxiety.

I'd guess you should start very slowly but again, I'd ask your doctor.

Ok I will.

I'm also not sure if I really have ADHD or if it might be bipolar without mania. Some symptoms also fit to bipolar.
But how shall I find out what it really is?

I've taken both an SSRI and Adderall for years (and have even moved states, switched doctors etc) and have had no adverse reaction with using the 2 together. Nor has a doctor objected to taking the 2 together.

My doctor wanted to put me on an antidepressant for anxiety while I was prescribed Tramadol by him, I was like, an SNRI shouldn't be mixed with an AD, plus I'm not taking an AD for anxiety.

I swear I think.most doctors are idiots........

My doctor wanted to put me on an antidepressant for anxiety while I was prescribed Tramadol by him, I was like, an SNRI shouldn't be mixed with an AD, plus I'm not taking an AD for anxiety.

I swear I think.most doctors are idiots........

Antidepressants can work for anxiety though, and I think that it is possible to take an SNRI with an SSRI if you are carefully monitored as far as serotonin levels but I could be wrong.

I know my doctor said that a person can take two seperate SSRIs together but they need to be constantly monitored so why couldn't one take an SSRI and an SNRI together?

I've always been told mixing amphetamines and SSRI's is dangerous, but I have been on 150mg Sertraline (Zoloft) for 7 years and have used amphetamines (on and off) over the last 17 months and can't say I've noticed anything wrong...then again, I have never taken amphetamine while NOT on an SSRI, I'd say be cautious and definitely don't start taking amphetamine if you are also just starting an SSRI.

I asked my doc about SSRI + Amph and the risk of getting a serotonin syndrome and he said that if one gets fever or feels strange you should see a doctor. But overall I think it's not necessary to
freak out about it.

Why mix 2 SSRI? Makes no sense to me. Then I'd rather directly try a MAOI. If I wasn't so scared of the food interactions I'd already have tried parnate.

dont mean to hijack but i got prescribed adderall 10mg with my usual xanax
but i have a GAD
p doc just said take the adderal first and if it escalates into a panic attack or anxiety attack to take xanax ???
maybe the p doc was off her meds haha

Didn't read the whole thread but here is my 2 cents.
I don't know what the big fuss is with everyone and serotonin syndrome. I understand it is a very real risk when mixing serotonergic drugs especially. However I have mixed meth, Lexapro, DXM and Weed together each in high doses and Im still here. I am by no means saying go mix a whole heap of crap and see how you go, but, I think there it is definitely looked at a little bit too much and worried about a little too much. As for your question, it is known to be MOSTLY Safe in medical literature so I cant see why you would be worried when thousands, if not millions are on this combo every single day.

Yes I know many people take this combo but when I read in a book that this combo can cause serotonin syndrome then I still become scared.
But I'm not so scared anymore now cause I have taken dex with a ssri and nothing happened.

Exactly, im a meth addict and Im on Lexapro. Im fine, nothing happened so chill out man :)

I have taken amphetamine/D-amphetamine (Adderall) and lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) extensively with SSRIs, SNRIs, DNRIs, atypical ADs, mood stabilizers, etc. including fluxotine, sertraline, duloxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazepine, carbamazepine, divalproex sodium, etc. with nary a problem.

The only thing of note was a bad reaction many years ago when I tried taking Adderall with a brief trial of Prozac which resulted in feelings of dysphoria, confusion, somnolence, malaise; possibly suggestive of mild serotonin toxicity.

Amphetamine, lisdexamfetamine, propylhexedrine, etc. have caused no problems in combination with various psychiatrics; my current cocktail is duloxetine, divalproex sodium, clonazepam, mirtazepine, diphenhydramine or doxylamine, omeprazope and hyoscyamine. I am currently on an amphetamine "run" with no issues.

Only thing of note is increased duration of action and I note mild to moderate SSRI/SNRI usage alongside propylhexedrine vastly reduces negative side-effects and moderately alleviates crash. My theory is the antidepressant, by inhibiting CYP2D6 and possibly NET, blocks the production of some highly vasoconstrictive metabolites like norpropylhexedrine, 4-hydroxy-propylhexedrine, hexahydroxyphenylpropanolamine, etc.

From a technical viewpoint, the chance of amphetamine or d-amp causing enough release of 5-HT to cause serotonin toxicity in conjunction with SSRIs, SNRIs, etc. is very slim. Amphetamine does not have a significant affinity for 5-HT release/reuptake inhibition.

Methamphetamine's methyl N chain gives it much higher affinity for 5-HT which could theoretically mean MA has a potential to cause some serotonin toxidrome with other serotenergic agents. Longer chains than that in generally weaken 5-HT affinity after methylation.

http://www.maps.org/images/pdf/2001_rothman_1.pdf - See page 37 for chart of various stimulants and their receptor affinities

Shouldn't be a big deal with the serotonin. serotonin syndrome can really become a fatal problem if you mix MAOI's with vanlafaxine. (effexor)
The one to watch out for is norepinephrine, and anxiety/panic issues. Mixing dexedrine and a normal amount of effexor could increase the density of
norepinephrine i would imagine. and by the sounds of it you seem a bit panicked. Speak to a doctor, Sweating is a well known side effect of SSRI's.
I think you need to chill and re-confirm with your doctor your medicines and dosages.

Hi, according to Dr. Charles Parker who has written a book about ADHD amphetamines don't mix well with prozac and paxil because of 2D6. He says that when you mix them it may cause the
amphetamines to build up in the system and then after a while you get side effects. This sucks because this means that I cannot try prozac which I might have tried.

I already tried Lexapro and it didn't help me. And Sertraline shouldn't be mixed with Lamotrigine which I want to start taking soon which means that Sertraline is also out of the game.
Fluvox is also out of the game cause I drink coffee which you should not do when you take Fluvox.

This means that from the SSRIs basically nothing is left. And I already tried Cymbalta without success so this is also out of the game.

And from the TCAs I tried Anafranil and couldn't deal with the side effects. At 75mg my resting pulse was already around 90 so I had to get off it.
This means that other TCAs will likely cause the same side effects. TCAs also don't mix well with ritalin or amphetamines.

I really don't have much left which I could try.

Wellbutrin 300mg and Remeron 30mg also didn't help me.

Hi, according to Dr. Charles Parker who has written a book about ADHD amphetamines don't mix well with prozac and paxil because of 2D6. He says that when you mix them it may cause the
amphetamines to build up in the system and then after a while you get side effects. This sucks because this means that I cannot try prozac which I might have tried.

I already tried Lexapro and it didn't help me. And Sertraline shouldn't be mixed with Lamotrigine which I want to start taking soon which means that Sertraline is also out of the game.
Fluvox is also out of the game cause I drink coffee which you should not do when you take Fluvox.

This means that from the SSRIs basically nothing is left. And I already tried Cymbalta without success so this is also out of the game.

And from the TCAs I tried Anafranil and couldn't deal with the side effects. At 75mg my resting pulse was already around 90 so I had to get off it.
This means that other TCAs will likely cause the same side effects. TCAs also don't mix well with ritalin or amphetamines.

I really don't have much left which I could try.

Wellbutrin 300mg and Remeron 30mg also didn't help me.

I don't care who says it I still think it's bullshit.

I took Dexadrine more times than I could count while on Prozac.

But if it makes you feel safer than steer clear.