• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How dangerous is mixing Amph with SSRIs?

Yeah don't take large amounts of acetaminophen it will kill you bro. Yeah bro Damn I do the shit all the time and always have a good trip, I take about 960mg of dxm mixed with 128mg of chlorobormethine and trip nuttttzzzzz hahaha but I'm also 6'0 235lbs so smaller dose would be fine,you can find the pills at dollar general or Wal-Mart labeled cough & cold hbr for people with high blood pressure but it must say that!!! It's the only product of its kind that doesn't have aceteminephine in it ( which taken in high doses will kill you!) So be safe a make sure it's what I said........enjoy MUUAAAHHHHH ???? I'm tripping ballzzzzz fear no illuminati (watch YouTube) search illuminati warning 2015 a scary preview of what's to come ! Indulge in the knowledge my friend

As somebody else mentioned, it's not uncommon for people to be prescribed SSRIs while on Adderall/Dexedrine. I imagine the risk of SS is very low with this combo.

There are even reports out there of people being prescribed SSRIs while on Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine), which is significantly more serotonergic than amphetamine. I did this numerous times last year (30mg meth while taking 20mg shitalopram per day).

Hello,
the problem is I also suffer from anxiety. I'd feel a lot more secure if I had some kind of emergency serotonin syndrome drug which could be taken if signs of SS show up.
Do such drugs exist? I mean couldn't my pdoc prescribe me something which they'd also give to people in the ER who experience SS which I could directly take if symptoms show up?

But the other problem would be HOW can I clearly tell if a symptom is SS or not? For example when I took Celexa years ago I experienced that certain muscles in my body on the legs and also in
the face would start to pulsate. I could feel it under the skin. This would happen many times during the day. Back then I already thought what if this is SS and I was concerned.
I asked my doc if this could have been signs of SS and he said no. But I needed to know how to tell if it's serious or not.
I mean I cant rush to the ER whenever I feel strange and this it might be SS.

Hello,
the problem is I also suffer from anxiety. I'd feel a lot more secure if I had some kind of emergency serotonin syndrome drug which could be taken if signs of SS show up.
Do such drugs exist? I mean couldn't my pdoc prescribe me something which they'd also give to people in the ER who experience SS which I could directly take if symptoms show up?

But the other problem would be HOW can I clearly tell if a symptom is SS or not? For example when I took Celexa years ago I experienced that certain muscles in my body on the legs and also in
the face would start to pulsate. I could feel it under the skin. This would happen many times during the day. Back then I already thought what if this is SS and I was concerned.
I asked my doc if this could have been signs of SS and he said no. But I needed to know how to tell if it's serious or not.
I mean I cant rush to the ER whenever I feel strange and this it might be SS.
Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) can be used to treat SS, but you are worrying about nothing.

Have you thought about getting off the SSRIs? It sounds to me like they're making your anxiety worse (paradoxical reactions are very common on SSRIs). They're shite anyway.

EDIT: Are you aware of the side effects of SSRI meds? Nervousness, agitation, restlesness and sleep problems are all listed as common side effects. Less common side effects are depression and suicidal ideation.
So there you have it: a class of purported antidepressant/anxiolytic meds that are likely to increase your anxiety, fuck your sleep up and possibly worsen your crappy mood.
I am not on any bandwagon; I was prescribed shitalopram at 20mg per day off-label for anger issues, which I took for about 4 months. At first I thought it was helping me, then the side effects kicked in. Chronic fatigue (I was yawning so much it was embarrassing), cognitive impairment, severe apathy and the feeling it was stripping me of my manhood. This actually makes sense as I recently found out that SSRIs are associated with abnormally low testosterone levels. This is very bad because abnormally low testosterone levels are associated with depression (among other things). Go figure.

Last edited:
Try it and post what happens.
I'm curious. You'll be more or less fine.
Pretty sure.

Hi folks,
I'm pretty freaked out again.

In a really famous book about psychopharmacology by a german psychiatrist (Otto Benkert)
it says in the chapter about amphetamines that amphetamines should NOT be combined with SSRI because of the risk of serotonin syndrome!
This book is considered to be a bible by german psychiatrist. Everyone uses this books as orientation.
I am really flabbergasted by this because in America such a combination seems to be common. But now where I read this I'm worried.
I'm already anxious by nature and my fear is that I'd be worried all the time of developing a serotonin syndrome when I start adding Dexamphetamine
to Zoloft.
I don't really know how to behave now. My psychiatrist will probably not be able to tell me very much about serotonin syndrome.
If I for example feel agitated or start to sweat then I'd directly think it's serotonin syndrome. :(
Are there any guidelines about serotonin syndrome where you clearly know WHEN exactly you should go to the ER?
I mean I can't drive to the ER whenever I feel restless or weird. This happens all the time.

I also wonder if dexamphetamine when mixed with SSRI caused SS then how long would the SS last? Would it disappear as soon as
the dexamphetamine leaves the body OR would this not affect it at all?

I think you are worrying about nothing.

I've mixed dexadrine with SSRIS more times in my life than I can possibly count with no negative effects.

I personally think the danger is GREATLY over stated but I'm no doctor.

Also, I've heard doctors tell me that serotonin syndrome is very atypical and not something that happens a lot or that is very severe most of the time that it does occur.

I think that this forum in particular probably brings it up a lot more often than is necessary and that it probably isn't the dreaded phenomenon that it's made out to be here in most cases but I could be wrong.

Also, when my psychiatrist was considering putting me on two SSRIs at once I asked him about the possibility of serotonin syndrome and he said that if it occurred it would come on slowly and that I shouldn't be worried about it so long as he was monitoring me so I'd think it would be the same in your situation.

Why did you say that you don't think your doctor would know much about serotonin syndrome?

I'd think most psychs would know about that as it is part of their job.

I think so long as your doctor is monitoring you you should probably be ok but why don't you talk to him about it?

I don't get it. If it bothers you so much don't do it. It's that simple. You can take the advice of your doctor or leave it.

It's not to use and abuse; but to chase the feeling.
Please just be careful.
Sorry I don't mean to scare, but it's a very real outcome. But then when mixing substances it creates it's own subjective issues. SSRI's and SNRI's are quite benign.
They are both reuptake inhibitor's. By their virtue they won't screw you; this is how the pharmaceutical companies work.
Dopamine agonists such as Dexedrine shouldn't interfere with SSRI's or SNIR's.
Your p-doc should have all the interactions on hand.

This is why you should go for an ECG, blood pressure tests; and a four stage blood test.
Best guess they'll give you 5mg's of Dexedrine in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.
To be honest Ritalin did nothing for me also, I just wanted to sleep.

How the hell would a therapeutic dosage of dex mixed with an SSRI cause a heart attack or stroke as a "likely outcome" in a perfectly healthy individual?

You are being ridiculous.

That's not a "likely outcome".

Plus, this guy has an anxiety disorder.

I swear, some of you people have absolutely no idea how to talk to someone with anxiety.

I guess I have a better understanding of it than some people but this post reads like a post of exactly what NOT to say to someone like this so I can't help but just laugh.

Yes I have GAD. But this isn't just delusional fear. I mean when even in psychopharmaceutical manuals there are warnings of SS when mixing SSRI with AMPH then this freaks me out.
I dont know how to deal with this.

The problem is I needed something from depression/ocd/gad and this is usually a SSRI,SNRI,TCA.

BUT I also need dexedrine for ADHD and this totally narrows down my options cause a TCA or SNRI would be even more problematic to mix with dexedrine.
Besides this I already had Cymbalta and it didnt work which is why SNRI are basically no option anymore cause I doubt that Effexor would be much different.
Basically my antidepressant options are pretty slim by now and they are even slimmer cause of the dexedrine. :(

Yes I have GAD. But this isn't just delusional fear. I mean when even in psychopharmaceutical manuals there are warnings of SS when mixing SSRI with AMPH then this freaks me out.
I dont know how to deal with this.

The problem is I needed something from depression/ocd/gad and this is usually a SSRI,SNRI,TCA.

BUT I also need dexedrine for ADHD and this totally narrows down my options cause a TCA or SNRI would be even more problematic to mix with dexedrine.
Besides this I already had Cymbalta and it didnt work which is why SNRI are basically no option anymore cause I doubt that Effexor would be much different.
Basically my antidepressant options are pretty slim by now and they are even slimmer cause of the dexedrine. :(

I have GAD too.

But you didn't really seem to look at my response.

When I recently saw my psychiatrist he had suggested putting me on two SSRIS at once and I asked about the risk of serotonin syndrome.

He said the following: "when a doctor puts you on two things which can have the possibility of causing SS it is because he thinks that the risk is very low and that if it did occur it would not be that severe. As long as you are being monitored by a doctor you don't have to worry about it and if it DID happen it would not suddenly come on at full bore it would be mild at first".

If you are seeing a good doctor who understands serotonin syndrome (which is probably any psychiatrist I'm guessing should understand it) you should not be afraid.

I was prescribed dexedrine while on Prozac also once and the doctor never mentioned being worried about anything.

Just because it CAN happen doesn't mean it's likely, and also I am going to strongly doubt that you don't have other options of things that can't interact badly with dexedrine, but either way some combos have a risk of interacting badly without it being something that is at all likely.

You need to talk to your doctor about this and trust his opinion OVER those of medical books.

Why would you not have spoken to your doctor already??

I don't understand people choosing to come here and take people's advice here OVER their doctors.

Speak to your doctor about it.

Also, I know it's just anecdote, but while on Prozac for years I took dexedrine so many times I lost count, probably over 100 times, to the point where when I actually saw that the combo was contraindicated for the first time about 6 months ago I was SHOCKED but I have not the least bit of worry about combining them again from my years of doing so.

If you speak to your doctor and he says it's safe then you shouldn't worry about what books say.

Every medication by itself let alone every combo comes with risks but as long as they are very rare, which this one is I think, you shouldn't worry.

@ mycophile

My doc didn't even mention the risk I'm also not sure if he is even aware of it! He said he has never prescribed amphetamines before cause where I live they are only allowed for children with adhd!

Also what does being monitored mean? I see him every 8 weeks! This will not be able to diagnose early SS.
Shall I go to him every day and then he looks at me and tell me if I have any signs?

Also when this famous professor writes in his book that such a combo is risky then does this not have any weight? I mean is he a total loser and has no clue what he's saying?
Why should my pdoc know it better than a professor?

I don't know, the thing is even if the risk is small it's still scary to me because I don't even know HOW to behave if I feel like I might have symptoms.
I know myself and then I'll be checking myself for symptoms all day and drive to the ER every few days cause I think I have it until they dont take me seriously anymore at the ER.

If I at least had some rules and guidelines and an emergency medication so that I could take something directly at home then I'd feel much safer.

What if I go on a plane and fly for 9 hours and suddenly I get SS with no doctor around? THAT's scary.

@ mycophile

My doc didn't even mention the risk I'm also not sure if he is even aware of it! He said he has never prescribed amphetamines before cause where I live they are only allowed for children with adhd!

Also what does being monitored mean? I see him every 8 weeks! This will not be able to diagnose early SS.
Shall I go to him every day and then he looks at me and tell me if I have any signs?

Also when this famous professor writes in his book that such a combo is risky then does this not have any weight? I mean is he a total loser and has no clue what he's saying?
Why should my pdoc know it better than a professor?

I don't know, the thing is even if the risk is small it's still scary to me because I don't even know HOW to behave if I feel like I might have symptoms.
I know myself and then I'll be checking myself for symptoms all day and drive to the ER every few days cause I think I have it until they dont take me seriously anymore at the ER.

If I at least had some rules and guidelines and an emergency medication so that I could take something directly at home then I'd feel much safer.

What if I go on a plane and fly for 9 hours and suddenly I get SS with no doctor around? THAT's scary.

Your doctor MUST know what serotonin syndrome is so please just talk to him about your concerns.

Being monitored just means you have access to a doctor you can see.

Are you telling me that if you were concerned you had SS and called your doctor for an emergency visit that he wouldn't allow you to come in and see him?

OF COURSE he would.

So if you felt odd you'd call your doctor and he'd probably make an appointment for you to come in sooner and he'd look at you and know what was up.

I'm not saying that the professor doesn't know what he's talking about but the difference is that that professor does not know YOU and he doesn't have access to your blood work, your personal history and the medications and dosages you are on.

That is VITAL information and having it puts the doctor's opinion based on it over the simple assumption that you should never combine the 2 medications because the professor said they can interact badly.

If your doctor is actually qualified he'll know if it's safe enough to put you on the 2 meds at once.

But if it is a risk you don't want to talk then ask for a different medication.

There ARE going to be meds out there that you can take with dexedrine for your anxiety/depression and it's false to assume there wouldn't be.

There are SO many meds out there.

I really don't think that this is anything you need to worry about but just TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT.

If you don't talk to your doctor about it then there is no way you can solve this problem.

That's the only way you can figure this situation out.

Hello,
I can ask my doc next time I see him but I really dont know how much he knows about SS.
I mean he's rather young and not that experienced.
Also, if I really thought I had SS I'd directly go to the ER and not drive to him and then wait 40 minutes in his office before it's my turn.
That would make no sense.
He also doesn't have much info about me. I mean he doesn't do blood works. He only sees me and we talk and he knows what I am taking that's all.

I would just feel safer if he could give me clear info on how to spot SS, what to do if symptoms show up and when exactly to go to the ER.
If he simply tells me SS is rare then this does not help me at all with my fears!
Also having an emergency antiserotonin pill or something like that would make me feel safer too.

Hello,
I can ask my doc next time I see him but I really dont know how much he knows about SS.
I mean he's rather young and not that experienced.
Also, if I really thought I had SS I'd directly go to the ER and not drive to him and then wait 40 minutes in his office before it's my turn.
That would make no sense.
He also doesn't have much info about me. I mean he doesn't do blood works. He only sees me and we talk and he knows what I am taking that's all.

I would just feel safer if he could give me clear info on how to spot SS, what to do if symptoms show up and when exactly to go to the ER.
If he simply tells me SS is rare then this does not help me at all with my fears!
Also having an emergency antiserotonin pill or something like that would make me feel safer too.

You are asking for a thing that does not exist.

You are also, weirdly, expecting strangers on an internet forum to know more about your medical condition (which you may not even have) than your doctor.

Your doctor will know about SS. IME, young doctors are actually more highly predisposed to investigate rare conditions than doctors with 20 years of "that never happens" behind them. Just try and chill out and if you start feeling really bad, go to the doctor.

You may be interested to know that both SSRIs and amphetamines can make you feel more anxious when you first start taking them - the anxiolytic effect takes a while to kick in. If you can just chill out for a few weeks, you may feel much better.

i have no idea about the question since i don't take amphetamines.

but i have experienced serotonin syndrome by mixing tramadol with tapentadol, basically 2 ssris/snris (or whatever they are) and it really frickin sucked... i was hallucinating, hearing voices while nodding out, halfway delerious, very paranoid, edgy, agitated, high blood pressure, panic attacks.. not fun at all. i made this mistake several times and even felt it when switch from weeks of tramadol to tapentadol from one day to the other. i guess the ssri part of tramadol builds up in your system and made me feel moderate ss symptoms just by switching for about 7 days at a time, first 3 - 4 days being the worst.

Ok I'll ask my doc about it. I hope that he can give me some helpful answers.

@ phat5o

This sounds really scary. Did you know it's SS when this happened? Why didnt you go to the ER?

the first time i didnt know what the hell was going on. i thought i was going insane. 2nd time i thought i just couldn't handle tapentadol. then i took tapentadol at another point in my life with no tramadol in my system and i did not get those effects. then the 3rd time i took them together i was able to put it together. they were moderately severe, i felt uncomfortable enough to want to go to the er but didn't. took benzos instead and slept it off. then when i was switching meds a lot like i was saying i was aware that i was tripping a little because off the ss but i knew i wasn't going insane so those i could handle. it was just really severe when combining both the drugs, in abusive amounts, together
tapentadol in itself makes u somewhat delirious when you get high off it imo. lots of people experience minor hallucinations and stuff like that on it. like an opiate induced delerium

But SS can be lethal. Did you even know in how much danger you were in?