• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How common is it to blackout from drinking on Lexapro?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
A couple months ago I blacked out while drinking a lot while on Klonopin and Kratom and had posted a thread about it where everyone agreed that it was the Klonopin which caused the issue and I reasoned that I won't drink on it again because I only take Klonopin as needed and that would be simple to leave out when drinking.

However, I recently switched from Prozac to Lexapro and now I am worried that that might in fact have been what caused it.

I had been on Prozac since I very young age so everytime I'd ever drank I'd done it on an SSRI, but with Prozac is was no issue.

I also have drank more times than I could count on Klonopin and never blacked out and was surprised it happened but I'd been off of Klonopin for 9 months so I figured that my tolerance went down and that that was the issue.

But this situation was the first time I'd ever drank HEAVILY while taking Lexapro.

Obviously there are a number of drugs mixed in here that aren't a great idea to mix, but I'm MORE concerned if it's Lexapro because I take that daily, whereas I can just be smart in the future and not take Klonopin when I drink, the Lexapro will always be in my system.

I looked it up and a lot of people have in fact, blacked out drinking on Lexapro.

Do any of you here think that even if I left the Klonopin out and didn't take it, that I might be much more likely to black out drinking again simply because I take Lexapro now instead of Prozac???

If so, this would be a BIG problem because I naturally like to drink alcohol and it would make me consider getting back on Prozac instead because I never had an issue with that.

Thanks

I take Lexapro and have drunk on it a few times and I wouldn't say I "blacked out" as such but it was definitely very patchy and there were small parts I just couldn't remember at all and I hadn't drank anywhere near the amount of alcohol that it would take me to black out normally. I also find Lexapro to make you get drunk VERY quickly, like so quickly I don't even drink anymore because I just get so fucking smashed so easily and that's not exactly fun to me. I personally think that both Lexapro and Booze don't go well together. If I were you I would just stick with the Prozac if it was working. I found Lexapro and it worked but then I thought there would be something better so tried different meds and trust me that's a long endless frustrating road. I think stick with what you know and what suits your lifestyle. Medication should enhance your lifestyle, not make you adjust it to suit the medication.

I take Lexapro and have drunk on it a few times and I wouldn't say I "blacked out" as such but it was definitely very patchy and there were small parts I just couldn't remember at all and I hadn't drank anywhere near the amount of alcohol that it would take me to black out normally. I also find Lexapro to make you get drunk VERY quickly, like so quickly I don't even drink anymore because I just get so fucking smashed so easily and that's not exactly fun to me. I personally think that both Lexapro and Booze don't go well together. If I were you I would just stick with the Prozac if it was working. I found Lexapro and it worked but then I thought there would be something better so tried different meds and trust me that's a long endless frustrating road. I think stick with what you know and what suits your lifestyle. Medication should enhance your lifestyle, not make you adjust it to suit the medication.

I already switched to Lexapro because the Prozac wasn't working.

But let me ask you, did you already have a high tolerance to drinking before you used Lexapro?

And did you ever drink while on any SSRI and if so, was it easier to drink more?

I can't stop drinking and I think it might be an issue to tell my psychiatrist to switch me back so I can drink or something like that cause I'm afraid he'd cut me off from another medication i use.

Shouldn't most SSRIs be the same when it comes to drinking on them whether your body tolerates it or not?

Do most of you think it would be more likely for Lexapro to cause a blackout than Klonopin considering that only the latter is a serious CNS??

IF that's the case that would concern me a lot because Lexapro is the one I take every day and I can't do without it when drinking because it would still be in my system.

I mean would not taking Lexapro for a few days if I knew I was drinking that weekend even have any effect on making me less likely to have a bad effect when drinking?

I never experienced any of the sometimes-cited side-effects when combining escitalopram and ethanol, nor did I experience any perceived difference in effect with any other SSRI's that I have been on. I'm sure there's some truth to the phenomenon, but seeing as how ethanol blunts the mind and senses, it's probably difficult to pick up on minute differences in intoxication.

I never experienced any of the sometimes-cited side-effects when combining escitalopram and ethanol, nor did I experience any perceived difference in effect with any other SSRI's that I have been on. I'm sure there's some truth to the phenomenon, but seeing as how ethanol blunts the mind and senses, it's probably difficult to pick up on minute differences in intoxication.

So I remember you commented on my thread back a month ago about blackouting out on Alcohol, Klonopin and Kratom.

You said at the time you believed the Klonopin to be what caused the problem and that had a I not taken it I wouldn't have blacked out.

Do you still think that most likely the blackout was due to the Klonopin and NOT the Lexapro?

Or do you think it could have been a combo of both?

It REALLY worries me that it MIGHT have been the Lexapro cause that is in my system 24/7 and I think even not taking it a few days would probably make no difference meaning that if that caused the blackout then it's likely to happen again whereas if it was the Klonopin that caused it I can simply make sure not to take Klonopin when I drink since I don't take Klonopin every day so that's why I am HOPING that the Klonopin was what did it, even despite the fact that I used to be able to drink on Klonopin without ever blacking out, but I stopped using it for 9 months and I believe that caused my tolerance to go down and that's my theory as to why this happened

What do you think?

Do you think the Klonopin was 100% what caused it (not including the alcohol of course as a factor...) or do you think the Lexapro could have been part of the reason?

Anyone else have any opinions on whether it's more likely that a blackout involving Alcohol, Klonopin and Lexapro was probably mostly caused by the Klonopin + Alcohol interaction or the Lexapro + Alcohol interaction??

I take lexapro and I've never blacked out nor noticed more sensitivity to alcohol with it.

I know heavy drinking with SSRIs is frowned upon but I don't know why; never researched it.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd think the klonopin would be more risky with the alcohol bc it's a depressant. Even if lexapro has that same effect it's definitely milder.
It wouldn't hurt to skip a dose or take it in the morning. It makes a difference clearance-wise. Lexapro dries up my sex drive but when I skip a day or take it in the morning I def notice an improvement in the evening

Lexapro doesn't supress memory formation, alcohol and benzodiazepines do.