• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol How can I avoid becoming dependent?

Akoto

Bluelighter
I drink to get drunk once a week and I'm on a lot of benzos.

From your personal experience is this a good amount to drink without becoming an alcoholic?

I'd LIKE to say I don't have an addictive personality, but I am hooked on tobacco.

I guess I don't want to let it get out of control.

It worries me that you say youre on a lot of benzos. Unfortunately, no one can say how often you can use without becoming addicted. Using addictive drugs in any a capacity is going to carry risk of addiction, but in general, the more often you use the greater the risk. I think if you're starting to question whether youre becoming an addict, it's time to try to go a while without the drugs. GABAergics like benzos or alcohol are a particularly heinous class of drug to WD from, so that's not something you'll ever want to endure in life.

Where do you draw the line at "alcoholic"? In my book, you just stated that you are an alcoholic merely by trying to rationalize your use.
And I fail to follow your logic process here... you don't have an addictive personality, yet you smoke, drink once a week, and I guess dependent on benzos?
There are numerous flaws in your rationalizing. I think that you know that it is already out of control and I think you know the next step. I'm not a rehab thumper but I would suggest AA if you really would like to get it under control.

It's more the casual slip in of a lot of benzo use that sounds off the alarms.. Like Mobius said, benzos are not something you want to experience WD with.. I just came off a 4 year Xanax addiction and that was hell on earth. There's nothing anyone can say that will make people refrain, they will make their own choice. I just wish I had really understood what I was getting into when I got everyone's warnings - "Don't get addicted to Xanax". Oh, no problem, I won't. Four years later, Xanax detox. It's not fun... its not fun at all. Be careful with those benzos! Stay safe.

Your benzo use is a bigger problem. You are likely physically addicted to them at this point. Getting drunk once a week in and of itself isn't healthy but won't cause major alcohol withdrawal unless you've already been down that road. If you're on benzos regularly then you really shouldn't drink any alcohol.

I should say its prescribed.

I take 2 mg of Clonazepam daily.

Even though it's prescribed, you're most likely physiologically dependent and will have to eventually endure benzo WD.

I drink to get drunk once a week and I'm on a lot of benzos.

From your personal experience is this a good amount to drink without becoming an alcoholic?

I'd LIKE to say I don't have an addictive personality, but I am hooked on tobacco.

I guess I don't want to let it get out of control.
It's the benzo alcohol combo in worried about. And if you're worried it might being getting out of control I say trust your gut