• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol How can ETG drug testing be grounds for legal consequence?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I know drug testing questions are not allowed and honestly this isn’t a drug test will I fail question it’s more just a discussion on it.

So my sober living community is implementing $2 shit sticks which test ETG for alcohol. Which is fine I haven’t been drinking, but low and behold I almost just failed one.

From an online source:

“ Test Accuracy
There are some limitations to this test. It can produce a positive test from the mere exposure to alcohol that's present in many daily use products.5 Examples of environmental or home products that contain alcohol include:

Aftershave
Breath sprays
Cleaning products
Cosmetics
Foods prepared with or flavored with alcohol
Hair dye
Hand sanitizers
Hygiene products like antiperspirant
Mouthwashes
The reality is that there are hundreds of household products that contain ethanol, according to the National Library of Health's Household Products Database, and exposure to them could possibly lead to a false positive on the EtG test.

But the EtG test accurately detects a person who recently consumed alcohol 70 percent or more of the time”

I use alcohol aftershave and have a supplement that is suspended in ethanol which explains this near positive, but still...

This is ridiculous. I just read about people getting parole revoked over these tests that literally can fail from using hand sanitizer...

The world is drug testing is absolutely ridiculous they would take away someone’s freedom with a test that is “70% accurate”

Innocent until proven guilty right? Well 70% accurate 😂 what a fucking joke. I’ll punch the dude square in the face if they try and kick me out and I didn’t consume alcohol

Reminds me of breathalyzer ignition interlock devices that you get when you've had a DUI. Fortunately I had my limit at 0.04%, I just didn't drive at all for my 1 year period where I would have had limited privileges and 0% limit. But when I got it installed, I was told that they can pick up even the tiny trace of alcohol in 10% ethanol gasoline fumes... hand sanitizer fumes, even if you just ate yeast bread. I talked to a lady who was there with a 0% limit who said it's almost impossible to not trigger it sometimes. Every time you do, they charge you $50 to unlock it, and then the DMV charges you $150 per violation before you can get your regular license back. What a racket. I never triggered mine since I had a 0.04% limit, but I did get a "warning" (when it's close to the limit) a bunch of times when I hadn't had any alcohol, just from environmental stuff.

Seems like you would have to walk on eggshells when you do a simple daily act that we all do every day. Shave, brush our teeth, wash our bodies. I can handle living by the rules but that one is ridiculous. And a 70% accuracy. Fuck that ! How much longer do you need or want to live in your sober living house? Doing it on your own or court ordered? I would ( just to protect my freedom and living space ) change my hygiene products and supplements just for now. I would want to fight it like hell but they seem to hold all the cards sometimes. Under their thumb, so to speak. I know you want to live on your own again. I hope its soon. Good luck.