• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How bad would the withdrawals be and how long would it last...

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
if you've been taking oral morphine daily for 9 or 10 years? I managed to cut my dose down to 7.5mg daily (I cut my 30mg pills into 4 pieces, but once a week I take up to 300mg as a treat). I had Tramadol withdrawals once when I was 19 and it was horrifying being just 2 days into it, so I can't imagine how bad nearly a decade of morphine addiction could be. I hope and wish I never have to find out, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm in for if it happens. Any info is appreciated.

7.5mg of oral morphine daily is a relatively insignificant habit. Due to the length of time consumed, you may experience minor rebound pain as well as one day or so of uncomfortable side effects. Possibly minor withdrawal around day 2, but I'd jump to zero with relatively insignificant impact on my life. 1200mg of Gabapentin and 4-8mg of imodium and you are 100% fine.

^^^ well said chase. Yeah, 7.5mg, then a once in a while binge-out isn't too horrible of a morphine habit at all. I'd do exactly what chase suggested, gabapentin & loperamide for like a week after you tapered the morphine down to 0mg. Do you feel any WD symptoms being at 7.5mg/day?

Thanks for the info guys. I do withdrawal somewhat if I go a full 24hrs without a dose. I tried to test my will-power to see how long I could stand without it. My first sign of withdrawal is sneezing & runny nose, then I start to become restless (especially if I'm trying to sleep, which sleep would be out of the question), get hot & cold sweats, chills, diarrhea, and an insatiable craving for a dose. I didn't wait long enough to find out how much worse it could get. For some reason though, Tramadol seemed to produce way worse withdrawal symptoms for such a weak painkiller (I'm guessing because the duration of action is like 12hrs or more, rather than 8-12hrs with morphine).

The lower you can taper down to, and the smaller the dose you jump off on, the milder any WDs should be.

Sounds like you've done well to decrease it so low already. Good work - and all the best.
Don't be too intimidated by the withdrawal effects, but try to get some kinda comfort meds if you can (clonidine is really good for the RLS) - morphine has a fairly short half-life compared to something like buprenorphine or methadone.

It's fucking daunting, but you can do it and it is worth it.
Plently of us here have been through opiate WDs many times, so if you want any tips or advice, there's a lot of knowledge here on bluelight.
Warm baths or showers can help so much. Distractions, also. Watch a bunch of movies, or a tv series.
You can do this thing!

Thanks for the encouragement. One more question: If the morphine I take is extended release (MS Contin), would that make the withdrawals any worse since they're not IR? I hope not.

^^^maybe it will make it easier as u r getting 7.5 mgs spread over the course of 8 hours or so. I'm not sure if it will make a difference. Why not switch to something weaker like codeine? It may prolong the taper but may end up being more comfortable and give u a higher chance of succesfully withdrawing