• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how addictive is xanax?

It is addictive, but it also depends from person to person. If you have social anxiety and other problems then you are more prone to addiction however this doesn't mean that people who do not suffer from social anxiety do not enjoy xanax.
It makes you mellow out and in most cases people are much more outgoing and social on it, this is probably an important aspect that makes xanax and benzos in general addictive.

If you want to avoid addiction and enjoy its recreational value DO NOT use it more than twice a month.

It is addictive, but it also depends from person to person. If you have social anxiety and other problems then you are more prone to addiction however this doesn't mean that people who do not suffer from social anxiety do not enjoy xanax.
It makes you mellow out and in most cases people are much more outgoing and social on it, this is probably an important aspect that makes xanax and benzos in general addictive.

If you want to avoid addiction and enjoy its recreational value DO NOT use it more than twice a month.

How do i rep this post? haha good advice right here.

I concur. I've had some people who didn't have an anxiety disorder deny benzodiazepines are recreational and insist that I was either lying, ignorant, or experienced placebo.

Indeed, it seems these and related drugs are not really drugs at all, for most people.

I find this very odd—a drug can be recreational only for certain people afflicted with certain psychiatric disorders.

It makes me wonder how different drugs (e.g., opioids, dissociatives, psychedelics) feel to people with different mental disorders, insofar as they feel differently at all.

How might heroin feel to a person with anger management problems, or cocaine or meth to a person with depression?

How might a psychotomimetic (psychosis-imitating) drug, like PCP, feel to a person with a psychotic disorder, like schizophrenia? Might they feel anything? Perhaps doubly psychotic or, curiously, feel normal? Fascinating stuff!

I've actually heard this and have always wondered. I suffer GAD, anxiety and panic disorder (so badly I've been in several wrecks from shaking so badly during driving--so I no longer drive). I'm finally on a drug that helps, Effexor. But I had a terrible addiction to xanax many years ago. And there is no doubt I could again if I wanted to. But, I've known other ppl that hate taking them, says it just puts them to sleep. Not me! It helps me get things done. But , at the same time, I avoid amphetamines like the plague. i don't need any EXTRA energy. So, Id really like to find the scientific proof of this theory.

I've also heard that if you are taking something for a disorder you actually have, you do not get addicted. I'd like to see the scientific proof on that as well, because I do not believe that. If I were to come off
Effexor right now, I'd end up in a psych ward. It was a med, and the only med, that truly worked for me. For the first time in life , I can think clearly without everything minor thing throwing me into a fight or flight mode.

I do also have xanax and clonopin on hand for breakthroughs--which also help greatly for sleep, and prozasin which combats the nightmares from the Effexor. Although all is needed, I know I could get addicted to every one of them, as I am already addicted to Effexor and possibly prozasin..

I concur. I've had some people who didn't have an anxiety disorder deny benzodiazepines are recreational and insist that I was either lying, ignorant, or experienced placebo.

Indeed, it seems these and related drugs are not really drugs at all, for most people.

I find this very odd—a drug can be recreational only for certain people afflicted with certain psychiatric disorders.

It makes me wonder how different drugs (e.g., opioids, dissociatives, psychedelics) feel to people with different mental disorders, insofar as they feel differently at all.

How might heroin feel to a person with anger management problems, or cocaine or meth to a person with depression?

How might a psychotomimetic (psychosis-imitating) drug, like PCP, feel to a person with a psychotic disorder, like schizophrenia? Might they feel anything? Perhaps doubly psychotic or, curiously, feel normal? Fascinating stuff!

I've actually heard this and have always wondered. I suffer GAD, anxiety and panic disorder (so badly I've been in several wrecks from shaking so badly during driving--so I no longer drive). I'm finally on a drug that helps, Effexor. But I had a terrible addiction to xanax many years ago. And there is no doubt I could again if I wanted to. But, I've known other ppl that hate taking them, says it just puts them to sleep. Not me! It helps me get things done. But , at the same time, I avoid amphetamines like the plague. i don't need any EXTRA energy. So, Id really like to find the scientific proof of this theory.

I've also heard that if you are taking something for a disorder you actually have, you do not get addicted. I'd like to see the scientific proof on that as well, because I do not believe that. If I were to come off
Effexor right now, I'd end up in a psych ward. It was a med, and the only med, that truly worked for me. For the first time in life , I can think clearly without everything minor thing throwing me into a fight or flight mode.

I also have klonopin and xanax, prescribed by the same dr for breakthrough anxiety (which I do get) and prozasin, which is a BP med that is successful in combatting nightmares esp of those with PTSD. I know I am addicted to the Effexor and possible the prozasin, as I forgot 1 time to take the Effexor and begin to really lose my mind.

Strange however, I have NEVER been addicted to Opiates. I've enjoyed them, even used them recreationally for a long time when I could get them, but NEVER got physically addicted, nor did I crave them once I would run out. In fact, I don't even care if someone gave me a handful of roxies right now. I guess different tastes for different people.

I take xanax and temazepam daily. I don't get recreation from it, i get relief. However, if I ceased using it, I would be in rough shape.

In my personal experience, extremely addictive. I took approx. 2mg - 6mg daily for a period of about 2 -3 weeks. They had been bought on the street and hence I ran out suddenly, with no chance of tapering. Over the next 24 hours I started to twitch with increasing frequency. I went to bed but couldn't sleep due to the twitching. In the morning my girlfriend came into the room and as I tried to sit up I had a seizure. It lasted a couple of minutes (apparently). Paramedics arrived and shot me up with diazepam.

TL/DR
Yes, don't be reckless with this shit. Hits hard and fast, not very euphoric, highly addictive.

When I am starting to have a panic attack, or a really bad episode of obsessive thinking due to my ocd i say "OMG, i need a xanax now!!"

IMO they are only addicting if you have an anxiety disorder.

addiction is more for the ones self prescribing or are prescribed. there are ways to use drugs to avoid the addiction. at least imo. i could lay out how i've managed to avoid addiction to everything but weed (tho i haven't tried meth, H, crack, pcp etc..) but everyone has their own ways of dealing with things at the end of the day. it really depends on you and what you choose to use it for.

I will be on benzos for life. They make is so I have a security net when I start thinking the sky is falling. I am an extreme case of anxiety. If there was another way, I would totally do it.

The reason I say life, is that life goes on. I wouldn't be able to keep a job without them. Ever have a panic attack at work? It really sucks and sometimes can result in being fired. I used to panic when I was driving...I would pull over and freakout in my car and end up being late for work. However, with my xanax I can just place one under my tongue when its coming, and it gets better.

I also only use them as prescribed. I am prescribed x3 .5mg a day xanax. I generally don't even take one. If i am really having trouble at night trying to sleep I will add .25mg to my 30mg temazepam. The reason I don't take the xanax much is I want it to still work when I need it. I noticed when I used it daily before, it lost the ability to calm me down quickly pretty fast.