• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Horrible anxiety pls help

Chach69

Greenlighter
So here I am posting again 2 days later about the same thing. I’m 6 days clean from a 20-30 mg hydrocodone per day for 3 months (Most days that is, the first month was like 50/50 maybe less the last month and a half-two months was closer to everyday) anyways I’ve gotten through much of the physical symptoms but am still having absolutely horrible anxiety to the point of crying and just having a sense of doom constantly. I’ve gone through withdrawals once before and I’m almost positive I was past the anxiety by this point last time. And honestly I’m pretty fucking scared that this anxiety is here to stay Atleast for a while like weeks months or even years. I can’t handle that. I’m 22 I live with my parents who have no idea any of this is going on. I just need to feel like my normal self and I swear to god I will never touch opiates again. I guess what I’m asking for is some insight into my anxiety and some light at the end of the tunnel because I’m fucking scared as shit I can’t do this for months or years.

Have you suggested seeing a pyschiatrist about your anxiety? Before I saw a psychiatrist about my anxiety, I could not talk to people for long periods of time because I would start stuttering and my limbs would start shaking for no reason, just that I was so anxious and never got that problem resolved until I saw my psychiatrist.

It takes time. More than 6 days. They usually say the recovery is half the journey. So 3 months of using is 1.5 months of recovery is a way to look at it.

From here it depends on how you treat yourself. Exercise, food, supplements, etc will determine how fast you will recover. Laying around and crying won't help a bit.

Being 22 you have age on your side. Your brain is actually still developing, so will recover faster than if you were older.

A couple things that will help you relax without any risk of dependence -

kava
l-theanine

Never tried this, but seems can help too -

Definitely get exercising, its really the only way to recover from opiates.

It takes time. More than 6 days. They usually say the recovery is half the journey. So 3 months of using is 1.5 months of recovery is a way to look at it.

From here it depends on how you treat yourself. Exercise, food, supplements, etc will determine how fast you will recover. Laying around and crying won't help a bit.

Being 22 you have age on your side. Your brain is actually still developing, so will recover faster than if you were older.

A couple things that will help you relax without any risk of dependence -

kava
l-theanine

Never tried this, but seems can help too -

Definitely get exercising, its really the only way to recover from opiates.
Just the idea of going through this for another 1.5 months is absolutely terrifying to me. I cannot function the way I am right now. I had just regular general anxiety before opiates but I never knew anxiety before now it is absolute hell. Do you think Atleast the anxiety will lessen at all before the estimate 1.5 month time frame. Or am I going to be in this hellish mindset the entire time

Have you suggested seeing a pyschiatrist about your anxiety? Before I saw a psychiatrist about my anxiety, I could not talk to people for long periods of time because I would start stuttering and my limbs would start shaking for no reason, just that I was so anxious and never got that problem resolved until I saw my psychiatrist.
And no sorry I can’t. Because that would require me telling my parents I’m withdrawing from opiates which would break their hearts. I didn’t have anything more than a fair amount of low grade anxiety that most normal people have before I even started taking opiates. So if you’re telling me I need to see a psychiatrist that means you think I’ve fucked my brain chemistry up no?

No one can tell you how long your anxiety will last. No one can tell you if it’s permanent as everyone is different. Worrying about that isn’t going to help though.
As well as exercise, sleep and diet you should start engaging in relaxation activities- mindfulness, meditation, paced breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, etc.
Try to have a positive outlook- you’re going to feel better soon. Just trust in that belief for now.
Make sure you engage in self care- whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable whether that’s talking to a special somebody, playing with a pet, swimming, candles and aromatherapy, bubble baths, whatever.
Vigorous exercise is a good way to offload that anxiety building up.

And no sorry I can’t. Because that would require me telling my parents I’m withdrawing from opiates which would break their hearts. I didn’t have anything more than a fair amount of low grade anxiety that most normal people have before I even started taking opiates. So if you’re telling me I need to see a psychiatrist that means you think I’ve fucked my brain chemistry up no?
I was not telling you should see a psychiatrist, I said have you thought about seeing one? Why are you going after me when I offered some advice? I am fucked up in the head and I have no problem telling the world that. I tried to show you an option but now I know that about your parents so then you go on to another solution. There is a solution for every problem its whether or not you seek to find it.

No one can tell you how long your anxiety will last. No one can tell you if it’s permanent as everyone is different. Worrying about that isn’t going to help though.
As well as exercise, sleep and diet you should start engaging in relaxation activities- mindfulness, meditation, paced breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, etc.
Try to have a positive outlook- you’re going to feel better soon. Just trust in that belief for now.
Make sure you engage in self care- whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable whether that’s talking to a special somebody, playing with a pet, swimming, candles and aromatherapy, bubble baths, whatever.
Vigorous exercise is a good way to offload that anxiety building up.
This is the perfect way to keep your mind at ease

Just the idea of going through this for another 1.5 months is absolutely terrifying to me. I cannot function the way I am right now. I had just regular general anxiety before opiates but I never knew anxiety before now it is absolute hell. Do you think Atleast the anxiety will lessen at all before the estimate 1.5 month time frame. Or am I going to be in this hellish mindset the entire time

No, it will get better each day. Maybe a few more days of hell. After 2 weeks clean of short actings you will be on the mend. 1.5 months will be literally a full recovery. Last thing to come back is the sleep. Would imagine 14 more days you will be feeling like a new person and at least 85%.

Is your appetite coming back? Once the nausea dry heaving is over and your appetite surges the worst is over. From there eat eat eat good stuff and exercise. You have to build your CNS back up.

Simply don't use. That will not help you. And in no time this will all just be a bad thought in your head.

The problem is once you recover. Easy to think you can use again. But you cannot. If you want to avoid a lifetime of misery and sickness then take these days as a lesson and never experience a day 1 again (meaning dont use).

Oh, look up chi gong. Its real deal. The deep breathing will suppress your CNS and calm you.

The problem with addicts is we have no patience and want immediate results. Its doesn't work that way. Takes time and work and good habits to feel good.

Last edited:
Sorry for your troubles. Maybe have a look here :

I was not telling you should see a psychiatrist, I said have you thought about seeing one? Why are you going after me when I offered some advice? I am fucked up in the head and I have no problem telling the world that. I tried to show you an option but now I know that about your parents so then you go on to another solution. There is a solution for every problem its whether or not you seek to find it.
Reading it back I can see how you thought I was coming after you but I can assure you I wasn’t my apologies. I’m just freaking out at the idea that I would have to see a psychiatrist to get over this instead of just sweating it out like I thought I would. I couldn’t live with myself if I knew I did lasting damage to my psyche because of this mistake. I very much appreciate your response believe me I’m just saying at this point in time I’m terrified to have to admit to my parents what I’ve done which would in turn be the only way to see a psychiatrist. Im sorry once again

No, it will get better each day. Maybe a few more days of hell. After 2 weeks clean of short actings you will be on the mend. 1.5 months will be literally a full recovery. Last thing to come back is the sleep. Would imagine 14 more days you will be feeling like a new person and at least 85%.

Is your appetite coming back? Once the nausea dry heaving is over and your appetite surges the worst is over. From there eat eat eat good stuff and exercise. You have to build your CNS back up.

Simply don't use. That will not help you. And in no time this will all just be a bad thought in your head.

The problem is once you recover. Easy to think you can use again. But you cannot. If you want to avoid a lifetime of misery and sickness then take these days as a lesson and never experience a day 1 again (meaning dont use).

Oh, look up chi gong. Its real deal. The deep breathing will suppress your CNS and calm you.

The problem with addicts is we have no patience and want immediate results. Its doesn't work that way. Takes time and work and good habits to feel good.
I actually never had much nausea at all. I never vomited or dry heaved once. I also had somewhat of an appetite the entire time believe it or not. The worst of the physical symptoms has been just the general malaise, aches, fever/chills and gross skin feeling. I don’t have too many physical symptoms anymore which is what scares me because I feel like I shouldn’t have this anxiety any more that is just hanging over me. But I really appreciate you’re replies man thank you

Reading it back I can see how you thought I was coming after you but I can assure you I wasn’t my apologies. I’m just freaking out at the idea that I would have to see a psychiatrist to get over this instead of just sweating it out like I thought I would. I couldn’t live with myself if I knew I did lasting damage to my psyche because of this mistake. I very much appreciate your response believe me I’m just saying at this point in time I’m terrified to have to admit to my parents what I’ve done which would in turn be the only way to see a psychiatrist. Im sorry once again
You are fine, I was just offering help and was not trying to attack you in any way. If you felt that way I apologize for that. It does get better, just keep a strong mindset and be active.

@Chach69 you are conflating two very different concepts. "Fucked up brain chemistry" does not mean "permanent brain damage". Of course you have messed up your brain chemistry - that's exactly what drugs do, they manipulate our brain chemistry, and coming off of an opioid dependence will mean your brain will be healing from that and regaining homeostasis, and in the meanwhile you may have to go through some symptoms of your brain chemistry readjusting, including the anxiety you're going through now. This isn't the huge deal you seem to be implying it is though - anyone who has any kind of mental illness, whether that be mild anxiety right the way up to severe intractable schizophrenia, they all suffer technically from "fucked up brain chemistry", but that's not the same as brain damage and not a reason to freak out.

Why would telling your parents you want to see a psychiatrist because you have anxiety also mean you have to tell them you were addicted to opiates?? And as a 22 year old why do you need your parents permission anyway?

To touch on your main question, though it may take a while before it's totally resolved, there is a middle ground between crying & panicking all day and totally anxiety-free, and you will find your symptoms will become more bearable the longer you go.

there is a good news and other bad news
the good news that the withdrawal will not last for ever , opiates are not neurotoxin.
the bad news is that you might touch opiates again, your personality will be changed after the withdrawal end by sometime, you will start think that the withdrawal was not that bad, and you will have craving to get the euporia, and in time of weakness impulsively you will re take the drug.

Why are you even here if instead of advice you are just declaring that OP will definitely relapse?? Obviously not everyone is destined to relapse, otherwise opiate addiction would be entirely untreatable and nobody woudl bother trying to stop.