• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Homeopathic/Holistic Medication

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with herbal medications as an alternative to allopathic pharmaceuticals. I see more doctors popping up offering "holistic" treatment, but I'm unsure of what that entails exactly. I'm familiar with most herbs you can get from the health food store that supposedly help with psychological issues by I am yet to try anything that is effective. I know a lot of herbs are used for physical ailments but I am curious about the psychological aspect. Has anyone had experience with any herbs (besides marijuana) that are useful? I know a lot of people go to ayahuasca ceremonies now for treatment but I am looking for something less intense to have on hand that could be taken regularly if needed. Would love to hear your thoughts.

The only ones I can think of off hand are St. John's wort for depression, kava kava root for anxiety and trouble sleeping, and kratom leaf for pain control and energy boost.

washingtonbound, there are many, many herbs and natural medicines in this world. Hundreds if not thousands. What are you looking for?

^^ I second that. SAMe is also a proven antidepressant agent. I must warn, if you are using any prescription medication, the St John's Wort can have interactions. I have not read up on SAMe fully yet, so the same possible interactions may apply.

As others have said, St. John's Wort, exercise, multi vitamin, fish oil, sunlight, 5-htp or tryptophan