• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Holocaust lyrics

biggestlou

Greenlighter
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help and input from anyone on a very sensitive subject matter i.e. the Holocaust. I've to write a song on the matter and perform it live as part of my coursework for college. I tend to be stronger in writing the music and struggle with lyrics so as you can imagine this has become quite difficult and I am struggling to get anything worthy down and my performance is fast approaching. Long story short - if there is anyone who could take the time to share any ideas or thoughts I would be very very grateful.

Thanks, L x

Like do you want a song about the holocaust or from the perspective of angry hateful Nazis or what? Perspective of the victims? General and it doesn’t matter?

Read Ann Frank’s diary. Read Mein Kampf. I don’t know what else to advise.

The holocaust disgusts me but I understand wanting to do something like this or whatever.

Like do you want a song about the holocaust or from the perspective of angry hateful Nazis or what? Perspective of the victims? General and it doesn’t matter?
I have an idea in mind about a young university male student who is struggling with his own emotions and direction in life and becomes a nazi e.g. book burning... He then goes on to kill many including a child that stares into his eyes and he sees clearly what he's become but chooses to ignore this anyway or, something along those lines, and maybe he ends up in jail faced with the memories of what he done ....also would like to get in a bit about holocaust denial. "The pain was atrocious, but nobody noticed nobody batted an eye" is the only one I've came up with this far (lot of shite haha).

Unfortunately I didn't get to choose my subject matter, i pulled it out the hat.

Thanks for you're reply man.

it doesn't really go with the way you've interpreted the theme so far, but if you want to convey the pain of the holocaust, imagine your teenage self going to Belsen at the liberation and spending 2 days looking through piles of bodies for your mother. then to find her in a catatonic state in a psych hut. that's what happened to my grandmother.

my great grandmother was only at Belsen for 6 months and had her last rights read to her twice in that short time. i don't understand how anyone survived at all.

shit like that makes me feel like i was born to suffer sometimes.

it doesn't really go with the way you've interpreted the theme so far, but if you want to convey the pain of the holocaust, imagine your teenage self going to Belsen at the liberation and spending 2 days looking through piles of bodies for your mother. then to find her in a catatonic state in a psych hut. that's what happened to my grandmother.

my great grandmother was only at Belsen for 6 months and had her last rights read to her twice in that short time. i don't understand how anyone survived at all.

shit like that makes me feel like i was born to suffer sometimes.

Thank you for your reply chinup and sharing from a personal place, I really appreciate it as sometimes feel like I don't really have a right to be addressing this... I struggle to even imagine how awful.. and also why nobody stopped it - but your comment has helped me in re-evaluating my approach. My eyes have been opened further. There really is no words, I am not the most articulate person in general but I have to nail this. Cheers again.

Sounds like one hell of a school project.

I don’t have any good suggestions; best of luck. Perhaps others will know better.

Thanks for you're reply man.
*your

you're = you are

Perhaps it was autocorrect. I'm a grammar Nazi.

So have you thought about writing from the perspective of the non-NS German ideologues at the time? Perhaps some of the Catholics who believed in the new holy empire they were trying to form but didn't get to? Did you consider writing the perspective, perhaps a bit brighter, of someone who escaped the holocaust, or was rescued right before they were going to get gassed/shot?

I think a more "positive" message might help your grade. Maybe not, not sure really. I have no idea what this class is, what it's like, what the teacher is like etc. I would factor that all in.

I struggle to even imagine how awful.. and also why nobody stopped it
DPRK is running a genocide on its own people, and China is running a genocide against the ethnic Muslims in the NW portion of their country.

The world just lets it happen, man, and it disturbs me too.

Thanks for that info Captain.Heroin I could refer to the what's happening presently too and a survivor story might be the way to go.
I am currently detoxing from alcohol in to the bargain and on heavy dose of librium which is fucking me up creatively speaking. I'm from Scotland and it's just a pass or fail. I've also to create a slideshow of photographs that will synchronise with my song. I was thinking of even doing an electronic song using sequencer with some spoken word..maybe

Hey! If you’re just trying to write a poem in a lyrical performance kind of way then it’s not hard at all. All you need is key things to include. You can do like a spoken words approach since the topic is so somber and the impact would be greater in my opinion.

Just use some research and tips like the ones above! I’m picturing you on stage spoken words poetry slight somber yet hopeful music playing in the back ground with slides of pictures of families and other holocaust related work ending with something to look to in our world to Keep fighting for a better life.

I’ve actially gone to the first concentration camp memorial site, Dachau in Germany. The one people usually know is auschuwitz, but Dachau was the first. I ran global conferences in Austria this past summer and have been there twice. Every year we visit and I was in charge of the trip this last time leading the tour so if you want real photos I’d be happy to send you them and connect you with a Holocaust survivor i had the pleasure of meeting. Her name is Heddy rose, she should be 84 or so now and lost her entire family during the camps.

PM me if you have any qs , I’d be happy to help!

Thanks for that info Captain.Heroin I could refer to the what's happening presently too and a survivor story might be the way to go.
I am currently detoxing from alcohol in to the bargain and on heavy dose of librium which is fucking me up creatively speaking. I'm from Scotland and it's just a pass or fail. I've also to create a slideshow of photographs that will synchronise with my song. I was thinking of even doing an electronic song using sequencer with some spoken word..maybe

If you believe in reincarnation, and really wanted to make people feel for anyone in any death camp run by anyone else, write about a Jewish non-survivor who was reincarnated as a Uyghur in China, only for China to run a "re-education" (genocidal; actively or passively) program, or someone in DPRK who escaped the political prisons, the dehumanizing torture North Koreans suffer is on par or close to what Jewish people went through. It might be worse, I don't know and I would hate to have to compare their situations, relatively. The people in political prisons in DPRK are literally starved to death and given menial tasks, physically beaten, sexually abused and such. Their only nutrition is scavenging for worms, bugs, insects, and many of them die of malnutrition or succumb to terrible parasitic disease like a worm/parasite infestation, Hepatitis B is HUGE over there because they use human excrement as fertilizer for crops. Their crops are radiologically toxic when grown in the mountain range they produce weapons, even the military suffer to the point of deserting their nation.

You could write about a Nazi or DPRK soldier who torture political prisoners, kills them, somewhat on auto-pilot having drank the nationalist kool-aid only to wake up one day and have a never-ending deep pang of guilt.

I don't know how dark or hopeful it needs to be. I would hate to urge you to write an extremely dark piece and then your teacher is like afraid of you for the rest of the semester. You'll have to feel out which direction to take it with.

Raise the best ideas you can think of or have heard to your teacher during their office hours. Ask which one THEY think is best or most PC given that this is a VERY hot-button issue. That's what I would do.

I’ve actially gone to the first concentration camp memorial site, Dachau in Germany. The one people usually know is auschuwitz, but Dachau was the first. I ran global conferences in Austria this past summer and have been there twice. Every year we visit and I was in charge of the trip this last time leading the tour so if you want real photos I’d be happy to send you them and connect you with a Holocaust survivor i had the pleasure of meeting. Her name is Heddy rose, she should be 84 or so now and lost her entire family during the camps.
Thank you. It can be mentally and/or spiritually difficult to witness such acts of brutality and horror as a human being, but we need to know this happened. It's important to look at it directly and address what happened so it never happens again. I'm rather worried about how many people don't want to go to war with DPRK over their dehumanization of their own people. It's horrific.

What you might try is projecting your imagination into a Holocaust time/place/situation. The rivulets of underlying deep emotions then have a place to flow from. Obscure references work well for me because it can fit in my hand so to speak.

It might even work better if its something you randomly choose or hear about, as opposed to choosing something personally significant to you/your family.
Flipping to random words in the dictionary works for the same reason - the connections generated from your own mind can be surprisingly fertile!

I have trouble writing lyrics also (am not really a lyricist) but that would be great advice for me too..

I suppose these are right-brained creative solutions. But they can open us up to the well.

What youve described - trying to write lyrics especially about such a big event - sounds to me like a classic uphill battle. Left-brain hell! Have faith that the deep inspiration is there. Sometimes the best way to get there is to 'go around' our usual ways of getting there.

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share this documentary. I already knew a lot about the Holocaust as I am quite the WWII history nerd, but the personal stories and very shocking first hand details in this really stuck with me.

The narration really comes off as a very dark poem, in a way, and gave me a lot of inspiration for writing in a way.

Inspiring for a writer, maybe, in it's own incredibly disturbing way. There is no music, with long pauses of any sound... not a for the faint of heart.

If the Holocaust qualifies as "very sensitive" are all the other mega-million-massacres 'just' sensitive?

I dont mean to go OTT or nitpick your words. Simply pointing out the lack of a satisfactory answer to that question.

No tragedy deserves a more hushed solemnity than any other one.

If the Holocaust qualifies as "very sensitive" are all the other mega-million-massacres 'just' sensitive?
Good point. I think what separates the Holocaust is how the Jews were forced to aid in the destruction of their own people in awful ways, as told in that documentary.

yet there have been countless genocides in humanity

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share this documentary. I already knew a lot about the Holocaust as I am quite the WWII history nerd, but the personal stories and very shocking first hand details in this really stuck with me.

The narration really comes off as a very dark poem, in a way, and gave me a lot of inspiration for writing in a way.

Inspiring for a writer, maybe, in it's own incredibly disturbing way. There is no music, with long pauses of any sound... not a for the faint of heart.

Rightly, with no music, silence etc and presented raw. Utterly disturbing.

Good point. I think what separates the Holocaust is how the Jews were forced to aid in the destruction of their own people in awful ways, as told in that documentary.

yet there have been countless genocides in humanity
Right, yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. I never learned the scale of that practice. That is utterly demoniacal.