• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Hindu deities & practices

I admit I don't know much about Hinduism but at a time when I was reading books about as many religions as I could find info on, I started finding mantras online with audio so I could learn them and follow along. I learned to pray to a few different deities and I definitely noticed my consciousness change to only thinking of the deity

I never got scared but there was one deity I saw continually behind my eyelids for several hours. I didn't do any fasting per se, although I did eat only rice for a week while I did this

I've got something for you to look into. Sadly my phone has just died & I'm on a PC atm but can I DM you a group website over later today?

I learned to pray to a few different deities and I definitely noticed my consciousness change to only thinking of the deity........... there was one deity I saw continually behind my eyelids for several hours.

;):love:

I jumped right in with one of the most potent Matrikas, Oh God I got such a fucking slap as I said in the first post.
The local Temple guy wants NOTHING to do with me now, he KNEW something was up with me the first time he laid eyes upon me & said I'm "not normal" & when i told him a small section of what I'd been going through he looked freaked out, now he wants NOTHING to do with me & I'm NOT welcome at his temple.

I might get back into kundalini yoga. Been doing some mantra meditation and listening to kundalini mantras and i feel that kundalini energy like all those years ago when i awakened my kundalini serpent the hot burning energy rising up through the spine smashing through each charka sometimes getting blocked along the way.

No where does the vedas say to stop eating meat its a more modern thing and not everybody agrees on that.
A lot of Hindus do eat meat I have a really close Hindu brahmin friend in the UK and he says the same thing hindus in some southern states eat buffalo

I've tried Parvati tears, seven points of reference, while praying or meditating. Im interested in Indra's pearls but they don't imply a number boundary like a 7. On the other hand, I haven't really, really, trully, and sincerely gone microtonal gonzo in years so there's always hope this year or next I'll have a place to catch some waves (dude).

Ouch, massive drug bust on the Cali border just announced, inland raids too. Nooooooooooooooooooooo! RMF

Thanks @Zopiclone bandit :)

My inclinations have taken me most towards Shaivism. Although I sure wouldn't consider myself a Hindu, Vedas were my love since age 15. I find them true on so many leves. They resonate with me psychologically, physically (like physics), metaphysically and practically. So yeah, from all the literature I have read and practices I tried, Vedas were most influential in my life. :)

Sadhguru says "It takes the planet 72 years to pass through one degree of the zodiac and 25,920 years to complete one full circle of 360 degrees. One half of the journey takes 12,960 years and covers the four yugas. Satya Yuga lasts 5184 years. Treta Yuga lasts 3888 years. Dwapara Yuga lasts 2592 years. Kali Yuga lasts 1296 years. These four yugas taken together come to a total of 12,960 years."

As I have read and understood , there are larger cycles and within them smaller ones. In fact every moment can be indefinitely devided so in every moment there are all Yugas. Every moment contains eternity and it is in each one of us to decide where are we gonna dwell.

Shiva Purana :love:

I've long had some "feeling" towards Kali but Shiva OMFG :love::ROFLMAO:

The guy is amazing, he can't have sex till Parvati takes the form of Kali, gets mad at Brama so he cuts his head off & has to go begging in Varanasi & uses the skull as a begging bowl, eats Datura, takes the form of a black dog.

There is a God of destruction..

A God of the evermores of life!

Cancer is a topic to those that haven't been attended too..

I just started reading The Upinashads, and have been reading the Bhagavad Gita for a while now.

Does anyone else know of any literature fundamental to understanding Hinduism I should check out?

I would like to pursue studying and practicing it more. Now that I have read some of the texts, I've found it's the spirituality that has resonated with me most. I just don't understand all the different deities and meditations.

I'm thinking of going to a local temple so hopefully that will help me towards the right direction.

all the different deities are aspects of the one god brahman which is universal consciousness. there are four paths of yoga through the Upanishads and gita.

I would recommend reading i am that by sri nisaragadatta maharaj.

the core basis of Hinduism is non duality all is one consciousness.

Does anyone else know of any literature fundamental to understanding Hinduism I should check out?
There are 4 main Vedas Rig, Yajur, sama and Atharva of which Upanishads are part of. In early (or original) Vedic texts the Gods are named Indra (later Vishnu took his place as Originator), Agni (later Shiva), Varuna, Surya (Vishnu), Yama (Shiva, Rudra)...so it can be a little confusing.

But if you are not into "fighting it out" who is "the main God" and are interested in metaphysics and philosophy than you'll be fine. Although I don't think that you will get something of great personal value in reading this texts. They are all translated from Sanskrit and are not so clear as later texts for philosophy sakes. I would limit my studies to Upanishads although I am guilty of reading some Rig Veda.

Here is one translation of Rig Veda Rig Veda .

Edit - there are many many Vedic texts that each school of thought and practice have as main one. In the Bhakti tradition, and from what you were reading I think you are coming from/through (at least reading or, following that trail) Shrimad Bhagavatam and Mahabharata are most available to read. It all depends who and why is reading.

Enjoy 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
the core basis of Hinduism is non duality all is one consciousness.
I am not here to say one or the other as I experienced both states but this is the main dispute in "Hinduism" (word that is actually tough to just say as it covers many different things that are under one umbrella) - is there a personal soul or is there not. So "personalists" would say that "impersonalists" can only reach the level of Brahmajyoti but ultimately falls back...but as I said the matter is complex and I would never try to resolve it for anyone else but myself. That is hard enough.🤣