Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Higns 'N Lows (Anti-Drug Propaganda)

maddux91

Bluelighter
I just thought I would make a post in regards to the new anti-drug propaganda being distributed throughout the secondary schooling system. A new Australian Drug Foundation (ADA) initiative.

Their website can be visited at www.highsnlows.com.au

Basically, I honestly tried to be subjective with my opinion of this website and the accompanying leaflets/postcards I picked up at school. I am very pro-legalisation of weed, and have previously had experience with a wide variety of substances.

The message that the initiative is trying to get across is basically that cannabis used, in any varying degree, can cause cannabis-induced mental illness. It also incourages people to "help their friends" by telling them about how "they might not even realise how their lives are changing because of their cannabis use."

But importantly (I am being sarcastic), they remind us that we shouldn't when approaching a friend about cannabis use not to "blackmail, lecture or guilt them" into accepting your point of view. Wait... isn't this exactly what this website is doing? Telling us that marijuana use it a problem, no matter what!

I was reading through the "stories" section... not a single positive thing to say for marijuana without some all together negative connotation at the end (I wonder how many stories were rejected because they portrayed marijuana positively?).

The writer for the website, following up questions posted "If "Mary Jane" is already your best friend, naturally she is going to want to introduce you to her other friends." Naturally? It is ridiculous to state to presume that someone progressing from cannabis to harder drugs, has done this because they originally consumed cannabis. There are a variety of social, economic and emotional reasons that this can occur.

One of the comments on the stories read "The person who wrote about THC being reversed by something like orange juice, is right. the way to find out if your cannabis is laced with chemicals blow a mouthful of smoke into a tissue and then hold it up to the light. If you can see crystals on it, then it is more than likely hydro or laced with something else." Is this a joke? Hopefully, some pothead's idea of a laugh :) Other intelligent responses include "I know pot addiction can lead to serious problems and often death. "

Anyways, just to go out, I thought I would scan across one of the postcards which can be found at any state school:

Opinions?

The message that the initiative is trying to get across is basically that cannabis used, in any varying degree, can cause cannabis-induced mental illness. It also incourages people to "help their friends" by telling them about how "they might not even realise how their lives are changing because of their cannabis use."

But importantly (I am being sarcastic), they remind us that we shouldn't when approaching a friend about cannabis use not to "blackmail, lecture or guilt them" into accepting your point of view. Wait... isn't this exactly what this website is doing? Telling us that marijuana use it a problem, no matter what!

Opinions?

Well in ways I tend to agree. Most of my friends became stoner's in school and I did notice how their lives changed. They more or less just started wanting to do everything stoned or get stoned instead of doing other things. It could be annoying when your depending on them to do something but they totally forgot because they are stoned or what not. Their grades became pretty shitty (although hey, they never were great).

If a drug is starting to cause problems or noticable changes in a friends life I belive its the unconditional duty of a mate to inform them. Doesn't matter what drug it is.

If their life is proceeding without major problems through drug use then it doesnt really matter.

And I don't see the problem with telling a friend about the mind fuck attributed to weed. Im not intrested in the whole "trigger dormant condition" and "causes" debate because its the same end. But when one of your mates starts smokeing pot every day then flips out in some random street and attacks some guys mailbox for some reason then when the police arrive he attacks them then runs and is clipped by a cop car and ploped in a nut house for a while, well I see it also as a duty to inform weed smokeing friends about possiable issues.

I mean, being a bluelighter whether you like it or not carries some responsibility. Being the exception then your average drug users and friends, you have made a clear attempt to gather up vital information relevant to drug use. Your mate's arn't going to do this and thus it's up to you to educate them with accurate infomation to the best of your knowledge. Ignoreing relevent infomation especially relating to side effects of drugs because of your own beliefs is wrong. There is almost non stop complaining here in BL about how governments provide bias infomation (in fact its the point of your thread). To not provide your friends with unbias infomation to the best of your ability and knowledge is no better then government propergander.

Looking at the site and I think it's all pretty reasonable. I think they exaggurate the risks and consequances somewhat, but that's to be expected, and everything they say is more or less true.

In relation to the video on the main page; the protagonist mentions she heard a girl "Freaked out, hearing voices and stuff...I know that doesn't happen to everyone". As safe as the counter culture (read: Us) claim pot is, every time I smoke it, the exact same thing happens to me. Perhaps my brain is wired differently, but I always get an overwhelming paranoia and anxiety. It’s a terrible sensation that I think most people wouldn't be able to handle.

I'm fairly strong minded; I can appreciate these feelings are only drug induced, and given the duration, will begin to subside in an hour or two - basically I'm aware of what I've done and it's going to be a matter of 'harden the fuck up' for the next few hours.

Honestly, it’s a thumbs up from me regarding the video. Not just another propaganda film. It’s more or less an unbiased 'it can be fun...BUT...' video.

As a side note: As I mentioned, THC is a big no no for me - but I can happily smoke JWH-018 (within reason), or enjoy DMT, LSD and mushrooms, or MDxx, without the slightest inkling of negative experience.

I think people should question the accepted ‘Scale of Hardness’ of Drugs. In my opinion, or at least in relation to how my body functions, Marijuana should not necessarily be at the bottom, DMT and pills definitely should not be at the top. I think everyone must realise everything is relative; it is important to know your mind and body, and not necessarily conform and/or surrender to cultural beliefs.

I think that's a good video. It just suggests that you research more into it. That's what harm minimisation is all about, just like this website.

Have no problem with the website either, I think it's pretty balanced in regards to the information it provides.

Always get a kick out of potheads and their "look at this propaganda" stuff... reminds me of the "think of the children" brigade lol

Show me any precedent in an "adult" mainstream media source where there is reference to the positive effects of any illicit drug use... you can hardly expect to see it in content written for teens.

I think they should at least be shown real facts rather than biased lies. If someone wants to try a drug, they are going to do it anyway, and once they find out it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be, in their mind it's almost as if it's good.

"drugs are bad, mmkay" is the worst approach they can possibly take. I remember drug education in school, they pretty much say "they are bad, you will lose all your friends and become a junkie" THANKS education system, now when my friend OD's I'll know what to do, befriend him instead of knowing how to help him.

I haven't looked through the site itself yet, but most of the 'drug propaganda' circulated through schools is not exactly effective past year 9 or so. Pretty much everyone I knew back in school had a fairly chill attitude towards weed and some other drugs (to an extent) and still were aware of the potential dangers, so I can't really see an anti drug campaign changing much.

But if the site is about harm minimisation more than anything else as others have suggested, I'm all for that. As long as the information is based on facts rather than bullshit, though admittedly the mention of the gateway drug theory wasn't exactly encouraging.

In relation to the video on the main page; the protagonist mentions she heard a girl "Freaked out, hearing voices and stuff...I know that doesn't happen to everyone". As safe as the counter culture (read: Us) claim pot is, every time I smoke it, the exact same thing happens to me. Perhaps my brain is wired differently, but I always get an overwhelming paranoia and anxiety. It’s a terrible sensation that I think most people wouldn't be able to handle.

I'm fairly strong minded; I can appreciate these feelings are only drug induced, and given the duration, will begin to subside in an hour or two - basically I'm aware of what I've done and it's going to be a matter of 'harden the fuck up' for the next few hours.

Honestly, it’s a thumbs up from me regarding the video. Not just another propaganda film. It’s more or less an unbiased 'it can be fun...BUT...' video.

As a side note: As I mentioned, THC is a big no no for me - but I can happily smoke JWH-018 (within reason), or enjoy DMT, LSD and mushrooms, or MDxx, without the slightest inkling of negative experience.

I think people should question the accepted ‘Scale of Hardness’ of Drugs. In my opinion, or at least in relation to how my body functions, Marijuana should not necessarily be at the bottom, DMT and pills definitely should not be at the top. I think everyone must realise everything is relative; it is important to know your mind and body, and not necessarily conform and/or surrender to cultural beliefs.

Yeah i trip pretty hardcore off weed too man, im very anti-pot as a 'social' drug, i dont find it social in the slightest, i find it very introspective and anxiety causing. sometimes it's a good way to explore some things i repress at times - but other than that, it can make me break out into tears about the most retarded shit. And people who become stoners, actively seek their whole lives just trying to get stoned at all times... pretty lame existence.