• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Highly tolerant Benzo user, possible to deal with wds and cessation using Etizolam?

appies

Greenlighter
Please direct me to the correct place to pose this question if I am in error, I am a first time poster.

Issue: Benzo Withdrawal

I am prescribed diazepam 10mg (120ct), clonazepam 2mg (60ct) and alprazolam 1mg (90ct) each month. (Incidentally, from the same NP, unbeleivable right?) The reason I get away with this is because I have a long and documented history of Bipolar I and benzos, in combination with lithium and gabapentin has proven itself to be the most effective method of stabilizing me. Needless to say, I have a dependence on benzos, along with a moderate to high tolerance (had taken 18mg of alprazolam while at work the other day and my co-workers were commenting on how cheerful and upbeat I was.) Usually, I have my fun with the Klon and Alp, and use the Diazepam as a method of keeping myself from what could be serious withdrawals at the diesel I take. Unfortunately, this month, along with a few others, I am out of all of my meds for quite a while.

My question is this: Should I consider using Etizolam as a method of safely and effectively coming off the 45mg 2 day alprazolam binge until I can get my lovely long-acting Valium back? I am not trying to get high off of it (don't think it would fit my fancy anyway), just trying to avoid the insomnia, extreme irritability, and potential seizures that I'm now facing. I do plan on cutting the shorter acting benzos out of my treatment plan (the first to go will be the Xanax. It's fun but I'm fully aware that if I don't take action things are really going to go downhill.) Will Etizolam cover wd symptoms effectively and, in your opinion, is it a safe course of action to take? I have no refills left on any meds, so now would be a good time to consider only requesting a refill on 1 of the 3 Benzo scripts I have (probably clonazepam, as it does have more actual value to my mental health than the other with which I play around with).

Any help or advice will be appreciated, however I do not need to hear that the situation I am in is foolish, because I already know that. My goal is to successfully manage withdrawal symptoms while cutting back to only one scripted Benzo, and I'm wondering if Etizolam would be any help.

If you have access to other RC-Benzos I would recommend getting some Diclazepam due to the very short half-life of Etizolam.
Your tolerance is ungodly and if you can't get any Benzodiazepines you have to seek professional help, damn seek it even if you get your Benzos because you need to take a huge step back regarding doses and especially stop these incredible abuse doses.

-->Better get a long half-life Benzo instead of Etizolam. Of course Etiz would help too but you would need a lot and dose multiple times a day.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am aware that I have a serious problem on my hands, but thankfully it has no been going on for years. My plan is to cut two meds from my regimen. Xanax is the obvious first choice due to its half life. Im torn over diazepam and clonazepam, because they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here is what I wrote for another reply (its cut and dry because I lost it and had to rewrite it 3 times).

Sorry for the misleading information, but you did hit the nail on the head. I have attempted to reply three times now but blue light is malfunctioning on its mobile platform, so Ill just present the basics to my response.

""
1. I can get my Alprazolam refill in 10 days
2. I can get my diazepam and clonazepam refills in 20-25 days.
3. I don't want to be sick for even ten days, so I am considering RC benzos
4. I have reservations about filling my alprazolam. Even if I were to take as prescribed and remain comfortable, that leaves me with at least 3 more fills of a med that I need to cut from my regimen.
5. I am wanting to discontinue two of the three meds. I will either take diazepam or clonazepam, as of yet undecided on which would work best.

So in short, I want to manage wds short term and at the same time set myself up for the task of talking to my doc about only taking one med. And yes a taper will definitely be involved. ""

I'm set on getting this set straight, but am looking for short term (<month) comfort and safety. I was an IV opiate addict for 6 of my 26 years here on earth, and although benzo withdrawals are nowhere near as painful physically, I understand the risk for seizure, and its also very mentally destabilizing.

Oh and I should mention: I am on a GCMS urine monitoring program and cannot have random things showing up. Etizolam does not metabolize into anything they test for, but the diclazepam you mentioned looks like it has some lorazepam metabolites in there, which would be a red flag and I cannot of that. In fact, I had a friend offer me a whole bottle of lorazepam to help with the wds, but I had to turn it down, which was very disappointing.

Etizolam will help with the inevitable WDs. Even if you just take it to avoid the possibility of Seizures then it's going to be better than nothing. If you have never had a Seizure before in your life then it's best kept that way, trust me.

Agreed ^ and I talked to my doc, was honest, she gave me 20 mg Diaz (a day) to get me to my next full fill. In her words "I don't want to make you comfortable and condone this behavior but I have a responsibility to make sure you are safe". Evidently my Etizolam arrived the same day so I will be comfortable as well as safe.

Last edited: