• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants high blood pressure - adderall

stmik

Greenlighter
for the most part i have healthy blood pressure. 117/80~ sober, all good

been experimenting with adderall lately and my blood pressure is skyrocketing..

first time i measured while on a measly 15mg i took probably 3 hours after taking 20mg and i was around 160/110.

yesterday i took 20mg in the morning, 30mg at 8PM, went to bed around 4AM (with 2mg alprazolam) and now at 2 PM my BP is 140/90 (heart rate 53)

any suggestions?? obviously i am just going to stop taking it if i cant figure a way around this...too uncomfortable with that high of blood pressure. i cant even imagine what it is when i am peaking on the drug

Last edited:
It's a stimulant and it's going to activate your sympathetic nervous system and constrict your arterioles, thus raising your BP --nothing you can do about it. It's going to raise your blood pressure no matter what, but some people are going to be more sensitive to the effects than others. Sounds like you're in the former group.

As the above poster said, most if not all stimulant drugs will increase blood pressure. For most people, a therapeutic dose of, in this case, Adderall, will not cause a dangerous level of hypertension, but should you have preexisting cardiac issues, or are just very sensitive to the effects re: hypertension, it is really best to avoid the drug(s) all together.

Some other options, based on personal experience, involved me taking a small dose of a benzodiazepine at the same time as I would dose the stimulant. Yes, this may dull down the ''speediness'' of the high, but IMO it doesn't do much in terms of blunting the euphoric effects of the substance. I can personally say that I am not much for the ''jittery speedy'' aspect of stimulants, so this was not a problem at all for me, and was slightly effective in relieving the problem.

Be safe,
Cy

All I can suggest, if you wish to continue using stims, is that you either take less of your drug of choice (adderall in this case) or take it with a small benzo dose as suggested.

Why are you taking a larger amount at night time ? Are you a habitual user, are you prescribed this med, etc. ? If you're concerned about your blood pressure or the effects in general why are you taking it at that dose (and twice a day) ?

When I take adderall I take about 45 mg in the morning all at once OR 20 right away and 20-25 around noon (at latest). At night to deal with discomfort I dose about 1 mg clonazepam or 1mg alpraz.

Try 7.5mg instead of 15mg.

Also, if you still have a high BP, try asking for just d-amp from a doctor. Vyvanse or Dexedrine would be a good idea. I have a feeling a lot of people get high BP from Adderall, mostly due to the 25% of levo-amphetamine in it. If I use an abnormally high dose (only did this twice many years ago) then it happens to me.

When I take 7.5mg of IR, I'm just fine though. :)

Also, try Adderall IR and not Adderall XR if you are indeed taking the XR's. I don't think you specified in your original post.

To add to the OP's questions, ( I didn't want to start a whole new thread on the subject) Is heart damage permanent?

I took way too much over the weekend (~250 in 72 hrs) and Have been having a lot of palpitations. Will this be forever? Can I just take normal doses again? It's been a day. Any responses would be appreciated. I'm pretty upset about it.

I had 130-160/75 bp all of my 6 years of college and for a few years after. I quit drinking and doing cocaine and my bp dropped to around 130/70. I started taking adderall regularly last year after being sober a year and my bp is now around 120/60-70 when on it. My pulse goes up but my bp drops noticeably when i take it now. 130/60-70 when not on it. Kind of weird.

i've never tested my blood pressure. but i think this happens to me also. i have high blood pressure. usually in the 140s/85. but when i used to do meth or do adderall. even though it's summer, i feel kinda cool, like the heat doesn't bother me like it normally would. i'm going to test this out the next time and see if my blood pressure actually drops when i'm on amps.

I was on methylphenidate and every amp outside of scripted methamphetamine for over fifteen years, after being off of them for like three years my BP has gone up, but so has my anxiety, and heart rate as an obvious side effect from the anxiety. I often wonder if I will have any permanent heart damage, as I was too young to have any idea the significance of the drugs and dosages I was being prescribed. I have a healthy diet, am physically active, and even when I was on 210mg of methadone, 1mg alprazolam TID and 2mgs clonazepam TID, by pulse ran about 120-140, and my BP was 160/90. It's dropped a bit since getting off of methadone, but it's still higher than it should be.